Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cult gamemode idea
i had this idea while eating lunch

it'd be sort of like rev where the cultists would need to run around and convert people, with the goal of converting at least 10 people so that they may perform a dark ritual. the dark ritual in question would be to forcibly turn someone into an avatar for the sun god whose job it would be to run around and convert the station into the temple of the sun (think of how the wizard used to have to corrupt places, its like that but with special walls and tiles) with the final goal being causing the station to collide into the sun and become one with it. the sun god would be pretty weak from the ritual but once he gets going converting the station he will begin recovering his strength, so, it's important for the cultists to protect him while he's doing that. 

now for the sun god's skillset 

he'd start off with a weak flash ability and heat resistance but over time he'd be able to blind people with the flash, light people on fire, and convert people. maybe the cultists would get stronger from standing by him too at the cost of gradually going blind
I had a idea related to cults called Mythos, where the main antagonist was the God itself but they can't directly interact with the station. Just do things like make people lose their sanity with hallucinations and temporary loss of control Rajaijah style. They'd have a few minions in the form of cultists that they could issue commands to, who'd be tasked with completing a ritual open a portal between the God's dimension and theirs.

So like a combo of Rev and Wraith, cranked to 11
(06-08-2017, 11:50 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I had a idea related to cults called Mythos, where the main antagonist was the God itself but they can't directly interact with the station. Just do things like make people lose their sanity with hallucinations and temporary loss of control Rajaijah style. They'd have a few minions in the form of cultists that they could issue commands to, who'd be tasked with completing a ritual open a portal between the God's dimension and theirs.

That sounds....very similar to Wraith. With such similarities, why not simply use the existing wraith, but give it a small cohort of hard-mode traitor cultists/minions? They don't know each other's identities, and the wraith's whisper is their main medium of group communication. It neatly turns wraith into a more viable primary antagonist capable of having a larger effect on the station, and ensures we'll see more wraith rounds.
(06-08-2017, 12:48 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 11:50 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I had a idea related to cults called Mythos, where the main antagonist was the God itself but they can't directly interact with the station. Just do things like make people lose their sanity with hallucinations and temporary loss of control Rajaijah style. They'd have a few minions in the form of cultists that they could issue commands to, who'd be tasked with completing a ritual open a portal between the God's dimension and theirs.

That sounds....very similar to Wraith. With such similarities, why not simply use the existing wraith, but give it a small cohort of hard-mode traitor cultists/minions? They don't know each other's identities, and the wraith's whisper is their main medium of group communication. It neatly turns wraith into a more viable primary antagonist capable of having a larger effect on the station, and ensures we'll see more wraith rounds.
People have said in the past that there's not enough high level abilities for the Wraith, so I can see that working. Making people go nuts and trip out also goes more into the kind of illusion tactics that I'd like to see wraiths rely on more rather than item possession, animation, and flinging stuff at you that they currently have.

And having minions means you got people to clean up all that salt people keep leaving around
(06-08-2017, 12:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 12:48 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:

People have said in the past that there's not enough high level abilities for the Wraith, so I can see that working. Making people go nuts and trip out also goes more into the kind of illusion tactics that I'd like to see wraiths rely on more rather than item possession, animation, and flinging stuff at you that they currently have.

And having minions means you got people to clean up all that salt people keep leaving around

The current wraith's Poltergeist ability actually has some trippy, atmospheric stuff like you describe. It can, as far as I remember, trip light switches, blow out lights, send scary PDA messages and spawn a ton of ectoplasm. It's rarely used, however, which is a darned shame. I could see various hallucination and freak-out effects being added to it, though.

A limited mind-control/freak out power would be pretty cool. I've also said in the past, though, that any addition of higher-level powers to wraith should come after the crew gets more ways to actively fight off wraiths. Wraith does have some very nasty powers in revenant mode, as well.
The Poltergeist power is one of the wraith's deadliest and easiest to use powers if used right.

If you haven't noticed yet, ALOT of the station's welders are under lights and if you blow the lights out.....well you get the picture right? It's great for making the crew hate the AI
Sounds fun!

Also, what did you have for lunch, dan?
this sounds really cool tbh and i'd like to see it fleshed out
I want to know what Dan had for lunch
it's cool but it's probably too similar to Tg's cult gamemode for us to use.
I wonder if it was another cheddar biscuit.
(06-10-2017, 06:22 PM)lambskin Wrote: it's cool but it's probably too similar to Tg's cult gamemode for us to use.

i think it's pretty different since rather than run around murdering everyone to summon a reskinned singularity monster that just destroys everything, you would have a VIP to protect

it was a turkey and cheese sandwich on an amoroso roll. if you live in the NE, plan to travel, i highly recommend them
I like the 'protect VIP' part of it, though I'd rather have the 'god' be a wraith-like entity with a physical core to protect rather than just a guy running around.

Not so keen on the converting part, though, as heretical as that may sound regarding cult. If you have a group of 10 cultists working together you have around 25-50% of the station running around as antags, at which point you've pretty much won the round, god or no. I'd actually prefer if there were a team of 3-4 cultists who knew who each other were at roundstart. There's no actual incentive to fight the cult since people would much rather be converted and run around as antags than not. If there must be conversion, make it a high-tier power that the god can only do after being empowered a lot.
Cult should be limited and selective in it's converting so it doesnt just turn into an occult themed rev mode, cult should be the opposite, a small number of secretive antags that gain strength by killing the crew via ritual sacrifice or something similar. For example, the cult may need a certain numer of followers for a ritual, but need to sacrifice people for their god to gain enough influence to increase the maximum number of converts.