Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
darkchris
To preface this, yes I made quite a bad joke especially due to the events that have very recently happened, however I don't think that it justifies a ban if I agree in PM to stop, despite explaining the reasons why I made them and how I justified it. More so than the idea of it being a temporary ban, it honestly seems more over the top to me due to it not really breaking any formal rules, and how I agreed to stop in admin PM even though I chalked it up to a joke, not really seeing anyone being offended as grounds as a ban or other. 

Admin name: Darkchris

Server: LLJK US 1

Date/Time: 6/6/2017

Synopsis: Made a joke in chat, was confronted about it, told darkchris i'd stop making them on the server, was banned about 5 minutes later for a day despite having no further activity on the matter. 

Log: I don't necessarily have any logs, I exited the client once I was banned. - see below for "log"

Extra Information: You have been banned by darkchis.
Reason: Spouting this in OOC on 1. 22M Jayne Atkinson (Nessixtyfive) OOC: Fuck europe / i wanna get bombed and have police with no guns : ) / s o c i a l i s t p a r a d i s e / i a m o f f e n d e d a s a e u r o p e a n " Dismissed it as a joke when confronted about it. Take a day off and think about why that was seriously not something you should be doing in any context.
The fact you dismissed it as "was just making a joke" did make it seem like you actually didn't care for how awful making such a comment was, and your follow up comments that you posted above do make it seem like you didn't really seem to think anything of it other than some low effort trolling attempt.

I'd also like to show this bit of the rules here:

"Although very few topics are expressly forbidden, there are several topics (politics, religion, cartoon horses, several others) that really, really, REALLY don't result in productive or useful conversation. Not exactly a rule, but maybe keep your mouth shut about stuff that's gonna start arguments. Just a thought."

Considering just how awful what you said was, and your general attitude afterwards until confronted, I brought up how a dayban could be adequate to give you a chance to think about why that's not really a thing we'll tolerate here.
Hi, I suppose I am one of these offended europeans you were talking about. So it's apparently hilarious people in my country are being killed? It's not very funny to me. Darkchis consulted multiple admins before making this decision and we were unanimous.

It's a day ban. We hope you will take this time to reflect.
(06-06-2017, 06:52 PM)Darkchis Wrote: The fact you dismissed it as "was just making a joke" did make it seem like you actually didn't care for how awful making such a comment was, and your follow up comments that you posted above do make it seem like you didn't really seem to think anything of it other than some low effort trolling attempt.

I'd also like to show this bit of the rules here:

"Although very few topics are expressly forbidden, there are several topics (politics, religion, cartoon horses, several others) that really, really, REALLY don't result in productive or useful conversation. Not exactly a rule, but maybe keep your mouth shut about stuff that's gonna start arguments. Just a thought."

Considering just how awful what you said was, and your general attitude afterwards until confronted, I brought up how a dayban could be adequate to give you a chance to think about why that's not really a thing we'll tolerate here.

Honestly the argument of my attitude afterwards until confronted is irrelevant, considering how I agreed with you to stop, and then over 5 minutes later I was temp banned, If I didn't care how awful the joke truly was, or how you confronted me, I would have kept going which would have warranted the ban 5 minutes later, but the matter was over and done and agreed to by both parties. I do understand how it could be perceived as awful, which is why I agreed to stop since I didn't really want to get banned over a little bit of banter. I may have been misunderstood in my intent because I was asked to stop, and then I stopped and it was over. I didn't see myself as rude or dismissive in the PM's, just was explaining why I said what I said and agreed to stop.
As Cirrial pointed out above, more than just my call, I asked the rest of the team present what their thoughts were, and the unanimous call was that a dayban would be adequate in this particular case, which also explains why it was a few minutes after I spoke to you.

I appreciate the fact you stopped when talked about it, but it also really shouldn't even have happened at all. We thought a dayban was adequate considering the case in particular. I mostly meant the messages you can see in your ban as the ones after, which again, as stated above, just make the whole thing seem like some kind of trolling attempt, and a very terrible at that.

Other admins are welcome to chime in, but I stand by this call in particular, such "jokes" really have no place here.
I'm confused. Is this an admin complaint or an unban appeal?
Quote:ADMINPM (Darkchis) -> (Nessixtyfive): Hey, what's up with those OOC messages you sent before?
ADMINPM (Nessixtyfive) -> (Darkchis): what do you mean?
ADMINPM (Darkchis) -> (Nessixtyfive): Shit like this "22M Jayne Atkinson (Nessixtyfive) OOC: i wanna get bombed and have police with no guns : ) "
ADMINPM (Nessixtyfive) -> (Darkchis): it's a joke about the state of europe. I'll try not to make them
ADMINPM (Darkchis) -> (Nessixtyfive): It's a pretty fucking awful joke to make, and your messages after that are pretty much just low effort trolling, so yeah, keep those out of here.
ADMINPM (Nessixtyfive) -> (Darkchis): k - countries all have their faults
ADMINPM (Darkchis) -> (Nessixtyfive): Yeah and making a joke about very serious tragedies is hilarious. Again, please just keep it out.
ADMINPM (Nessixtyfive) -> (Darkchis): alrighty.

This seems pretty dismissive to me.

The dayban was discussed between five admins at the time and all agreed it was appropriate.  You may have said you were going to stop, but your attitude while doing so suggested you didn't really get what the big deal was.  If you don't understand what the problem is - it's not that you were making jokes about the state of europe at large, or that we think any particular country has no faults - it's not unlikely that we'll have to talk to you about this kinda thing again.  You have a day to ponder this.  Please take some time to do so.
As the resident guy who says offensive shit constantly, I think my input might be useful here.

Know when to apologize and back off.

Whether you intended it or not, your crack about europe crossed a line. (Seriously dude don't pick on murder victims. That's the very definition of 'punching down'.) The right thing to do in that situation is to say something like 'ho shit, i'm sorry, that's not at all what I meant to do, i'll knock it off'. Instead, your response read like 'lol ok w/e' which is basically a FLASHING NEON SIGN that you're gonna pull this shit again.

Seriously this is Internet Asshole 101 stuff. When you trip over a line, honestly apologize.