Mentor Application: YoukCat
In my defense, being a good engie is a lot easier on Destiny/Clarion than on Cog2 and especially Cog1, and I learned everything I know about the engine on Destiny.

On the other hand, I'm a pretty shitty mentor so you could just ignore this post if you want.
Hi i'd like to add i know fuckall about genetics, suck at artlab, and i normally wiki my way through jobs that aren't engineer, scientist or medical doctor, mentors build on each-others knowledge, also if not knowing engineering/chemistry is the problem for youkcat, i'd love to teach him! Also still a yes.
Did being a mentor change or something? The main reason for mentors existing is to answer questions that people can't ask. Questions about being an antag, primarily. They can ask their crewmates about most other things.

I say things that contradict this, but my only real requirements for recommendation are: a couple months of moderate activity, a modicum of maturity, legibility, and trust regarding metagame issues. Particularly that last one.

Now, I like YouKat. I've had great fun palling around with them as various people. They know more than enough for my recommendation. I just don't know enough about them regarding that last issue. If that's a-ok, then they have my full support.
In my experience, mentorhelps are commonly

1: Basic questions (How do I drink/eat, how do I get access to whatever, how do I heal myself).
2: Antagonist questions (Where is the syndicate outpost, what can appear in a surplus crate, how can I unlock my PDA)
3: Departmental, specifically Chemistry and Engineering and Silicons. A mentor should at least know 1 "complex" department IMO.

You should have #1 covered, if you are applying for mentor. Everyone else can (and should absolutely) be learned. I believe mentorhelp is also especially useful for 2, and because of that a mentor MUST be trusted to not act on meta-game information.

(05-29-2017, 12:36 PM)YoukCat Wrote: If I get mentor and I get a question such as a Traitor asking how to turn on their Traitor PDA, I would willingly follow them into Maintenance in order to prevent any Metagaming on my side.

While I do not personally know YoukCat too well, as I have not played in a long while, I believe this is not the right idea for a mentor. Based on the reactions of people to YoukCat, I believe they are the right "material" for mentorship, but doesn't have a grasp on what mentors should do. So, while YoukCat could be a good mentor, I believe an idea of what mentors should/shouldn't do is required when applying.

This is a no, but if YoukCat reapplies under a better understanding of what is expected of mentors I will most likely vote yes.

Also is it just me or does it not actually say anywhere what is expected of mentors?
Hi I am a mentor and I think I know enough to be a good one. I also don't know a lot of things about the game. I don't know how to make chems if I do want to make chems I just use a list I have saved on my PC, I never set up a engine in my eight years of playing or really got into the AI role and I pretty much only play Captain, Security, Head of Personnel, Clown and Staff Assistant. Back when I applied for both HoS and Mentor you just need to have alot of knowledge about one certain job to be qualified for mentor. We have alot of mentors now and they help answer the things other mentors don't know and while watching them teach the players asking for help you learn as well and thus can help someone else if they end up asking the same question later down the line.

I'm of the opinion that voting no because a person knows nothing about certain areas is not a reasonable enough reason to deny someone. If a player going for mentor only really knows how to play the AI role then that's pretty much a yes for me just because how hard that role by itself can be and I see tons of mentorhelps about that job alone alot of times when I am playing.

If a player knows enough about one complex role, has the rules just about memorized, and has shown to not be shit in game and can answer almost any question about all the antag roles then it's a yes from me.

I vote yes on this application by the way.
Everyone else said what I could have said better than I could have said it. Purple the YoukCat.
I think I might have to clarify on the

(05-29-2017, 12:36 PM)YoukCat Wrote: If I get mentor and I get a question such as a Traitor asking how to turn on their Traitor PDA, I would willingly follow them into Maintenance in order to prevent any Metagaming on my side.

issue.

I'll clarify with another example:
Say, I am playing with a new friend who somehow knows toxins really well. I'm doing my murderboning, end up killing him, and run off. He messages me on Byond that there is a Bomb in his backpack and he would love to see it go to good use. I ignore this as this would metagaming. However, I later find his dead body and, normally, I don't know if I would search him or not. However I do and find the bomb, I would leave it as that might be entering too far into the metagaming zone.

So what I mean by that is I'm very careful around Meta zones. I want to use absolutely no ingame knowledge of that type. I'm not gonna add anything else to this message since more things are for an attempt two if I have one.
Alright, I see I misinterpreted the spirit of the original post now.

That and the other recent arguments have led me to reconsider. Mentor YoukCat!
Yeah, I'd say you can recognize the difference between meta and not (you definitely know the game well enough).

Mentor the Youkcat.
(06-15-2017, 06:18 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Alright, I see I misinterpreted the spirit of the original post now.

Is this saying that I am now a mentor? Beecause if so then I'm ready to help people now.
(06-15-2017, 09:41 AM)YoukCat Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 06:18 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Alright, I see I misinterpreted the spirit of the original post now.

Is this saying that I am now a mentor? Beecause if so then I'm ready to help people now.

I'd give youkcat a early welcome to the team actually!
yeah, I'm changing my mind to say purple he because I was mentored when I didn't know shit about engie and was pretty bad at chemistry, IMO you're not likely to actually get an answer for the more complex stuff anyway regardless of if there's a mentor online who knows it.