Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivial Potential Kudzu Bug
Effect: Kudzu becomes dormant and stops spreading
How to reproduce: Unknown, Potentially random

I planted kudzu today. It grew just fine at first. Hopping over doors and such. But then it got to a point where it stopped growing. There was nothing in the way. I tried to trim it back and see if that would trigger it to grow again, but that didn't help. It didn't even regrow to the places it had already grown over once before. It's like the kudzu went dormant and never woke up. Not sure if this is how it works, if this is a bug, or what
once the kudzu becomes the thick stuff it won't spread im not sure if that was the issue
(05-29-2017, 09:08 AM)HydroFloric Wrote: once the kudzu becomes the thick stuff it won't spread im not sure if that was the issue

I trimmed it a few different ways. I cut it a bit so it was no longer thick, and I also just cleared an entire tile of it. Also, why would it stop spreading as it did before it became thick? There wasn't a boundary in the way AFAIK
kudzu cant spread any more once it becomes fully dense, but i guess you were trying to remedy that when you trimmed it back to the younger stuff. hmm. needs study to find out. was there anything else going on at the time like big explosions that may have lagged the kudzu and tricked it into thinking it was all dense?
(05-29-2017, 09:11 AM)misto Wrote: kudzu cant spread any more once it becomes fully dense, but i guess you were trying to remedy that when you trimmed it back to the younger stuff. hmm. needs study to find out. was there anything else going on at the time like big explosions that may have lagged the kudzu and tricked it into thinking it was all dense?

Full story: I planted it out in space, and it grew along the catwalks just fine. It even spread throughout [Image: d101976a73.jpg]
Most of this entire area but it stopped shortly after.

[Image: f40c091e9e.jpg] It stopped right in this area. I am not aware of any explosions tricking it. I could be wrong though
(05-29-2017, 09:07 AM)Prichard Wrote: Effect: Kudzu becomes dormant and stops spreading
How to reproduce: Unknown, Potentially random

I planted kudzu today. It grew just fine at first. Hopping over doors and such. But then it got to a point where it stopped growing. There was nothing in the way. I tried to trim it back and see if that would trigger it to grow again, but that didn't help. It didn't even regrow to the places it had already grown over once before. It's like the kudzu went dormant and never woke up. Not sure if this is how it works, if this is a bug, or what

I'm fairly certain this is the intended functionality.
hmmm. its possible that something went wrong, but its also possible that its normal. kudzus can roll unlucky on their random spread/growth and proceed to get stuck, especially at airlocks and doors.
(05-29-2017, 10:21 AM)misto Wrote: especially at airlocks and doors.
From what I saw, Kudzu spreads just fine through doors and such
sometimes it can, sometimes it gets unlucky, its not guaranteed
(05-29-2017, 11:58 AM)misto Wrote: sometimes it can, sometimes it gets unlucky, its not guaranteed

The error was on my end. I believe it proceeded as follows:

When the Kudzu proceeded along the catwalk, it was forced into a  1 tile wide space that it could grow. It could only grow forwards, as the sides and back were all occupied or illegal. This means that what was once a stable macroscopic system of random spreading is now reduced to the probability of just a single kudzu tile (basically all my eggs were in one basket). It just so happened that that particular tile of kudzu was unlucky enough to become fully mature before it managed to spread. Normally this is not an issue because there are many legal tiles to spread to, and so many immature kudzus, that some of them inevitably get populated. 

However, now I would like to wonder why the kudzu did not continue to grow when I trimmed it back down
I can agree with the statement of the above functionality. As one of those assholes who enjoys a kudzu-power sink combo I like to watch my Kudzu babies progress and when it comes to chokepoints there is definitely a reduction in its ability to spread. This includes doors, one tile corridors etc.

Additionally, I believe that once kudzu reaches "Dense" even after it gets cut it does not continue to grow. If it did it would truly be unstoppable without fire.