Poll: Which map do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Cogmap 1
40.82%
20 40.82%
Cogmap 2
40.82%
20 40.82%
Clownmap
18.37%
9 18.37%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cogmap 1 vs Cogmap 2
Disregarding population concerns, do you prefer cogmap 1 or 2?

Why do you hold this particular preference?

What improvements would it take, in your eyes, to make your disfavored station as good as or better than your chosen station?

ZeWaka edit: I put a poll because I love polls!
Cog1 feels much more concise. Places are used, only a few sections of the station are utterly ignored. While some places are much nightmarish in design, many places feel very well refined. (God bless Cog1's medbay, best medbay of all the stations.)

Cog2 feels sprawling, with lots of bits of the station being ignored. There are lots of places that people forget about, which in turn makes traitoring without resistance extremely easy. Allocation of space feels very wonky, and lots of places are interconnected, meaning that large swaths of the station are vented of air from minor incidents.
I don't like Cogmap 2 cause it's too big. But for Summer time it's perfect since we get a huge amount of new and returning players.

I like Cogmap 2 cause the Security Layout is alot better then Cogmap 1's security layout.

I like Cogmap 1 cause it does not take long to get around and it has alot of neat shortcuts

I don't like Cogmap 1 cause it's security layout is pretty awful and hardly helps Security.
I like Cog1 better. Single main hallway. Good department placement. Lots of crew interaction. Good, wide spaces in the market, chapel, etc. to run operations. Lots of visibility, so it feels quite open.

Granted if we had high pop a single hallway might not be adequate. Hard to not factor in pop on that, since it's directly related.

I do love cog2's bigass engine. It's civilian sector, bar/kitchen/botany, is also far superior. QM is nice and big, which can be a problem on cog1. Belt hell is great fun, and I love the little hideaway areas. Cog2 has a lot more personality and flair.

I just got hit with some problems. I'll edit this post later.
I like cog 2 more, but I pretty much only work in catering. The ONE thing I like about cog 1's kitchen more is how close the monkey vendor is to the work area. On cog 2 I have to go back and forth a bit, or do the butchering outside, which creeps out botany.

The maintenance area by the catering area is just better. We get the pod hanger, two blue toolboxes, two fuel tanks, a full thing of welding fuel, etc. On cog 1, I have to melt a few walls or break stuff to get these items. I guess there is just more stuff everywhere on cog 2.

I also like the size. It gives way more opportunity for murder. Lastly, and most importantly, the wide selection of glass tables to throw people into.
(05-27-2017, 04:13 PM)Boon Yoon Wrote: On cog 2 I have to go back and forth a bit, or do the butchering outside, which creeps out botany.

Sounds like a feature.

I joined when Cog 2 was the norm, so maybe I'm biased for it, but I know specific reasons I like it include the engine not being more confusing than necessary and the brig not being total shit and having like 5 places to break out through.
The brig is a definite weakpoint of cogmap 1.

I do think cogmap 2 has a lot more character than cogmap 1 does, but cogmap 1 feels more thought out.

But then again, that could just be due to how much time we've had to iron out the kinks in cog 1.
1 for sure

much better design and isnt just a bunch of hallways stacked onto eachother
I like that Cog 1 has one main path that forces more interactions. It's belt hell feels better, more like a secret area.
I prefer Cog1's arrivals to Cog2. Cog1 has arrivals in a little sticking-out bit with no other important areas, so few people mess with the arrivals area (and conversely when they do, it's easy to tell that they're targeting new arrivals specifically and yell at them for being an ass. Cog2 on the other hand has arrivals situated in a major quadrant, which means it often gets gassed/bombed/etc. purely through collateral damage.

I also kinda like how the marketplace/chapel on Cog1 are just big empty spaces for people to customize at will. Funnily enough despite Cog2 being bigger overall there aren't quite as many places like that - the chapel has that camera in the center and space taken up by small booths and such, and the marketplace is comparatively tiny.
I like how Cog2's air hookups are really close to the engine, and thus really easy to vent hotloop gas to the whole station.

I like how Cog1 has less resources in general (except insulated gloves, engineering has *loads*) and funnels the crew through one long hallway instead of a massive loop. Also a bunch of vending machines.

I really like the hazardous design of Cog2, with hallways that regularly overheat through normal use, are one cracked window away from turning half the station airless, that sort of thing.
(05-20-2017, 04:37 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Neat shortcuts and secrets, and ways to get about like cog1 has. Cog2 is a great map but I think the lack of shotcuts, and restricting access to the catwalks and the center of the station to those with maintenance and airlock access really hurts it. imo it would be better if the maintenance around robotics, mechanics, the pool and crew quarters were hallways and the catwalks accessible to anyone.
(05-27-2017, 07:17 PM)Roomba Wrote: the chapel has that camera in the center
protip: you can unscrew that camera from the floor
If there is one thing cog2 has over cog1 that nobody has brought up yet, on cog1 being thrown into disposals is a death sentence without help from the AI due to the position of the plastic flaps. Unless you have the AI keeping the diposals doors shut there is no way out without getting gibbed.
(05-28-2017, 06:30 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 07:17 PM)Roomba Wrote: the chapel has that camera in the center
protip: you can unscrew that camera from the floor

protip: on cog1 the chapel has a camera but it is invisible/non-existant and is labeled chapel 2 despite being the only camera. watch stuff in the chapel secretly? who knows