Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's That Time Again: The Wizard Complaint Thread
Yes hello, it's me, Tom Clancy's Gay Ghost, resident wizard hater. Here are my current issues with wizards, that a fair few people share!
Polymorph: fun in concept, awful in reality. Permanent, unfixable and with no way to come back after death. Most wizards I've seen since this was introduced simply play hit and run, teleporting in to polymorph someone then disappearing until it recharges.
Possible fixes: add a short cast time, make the spell wear off after twenty minutes or so. Higher chance to turn into something actually dangerous.

Fireball: the rampager standard. My main issue with fireball is that it puts you into crit even with 100% fire resistance!
Possible fixes: make fire resistance actually matter with the fireball's projectile damage.

Magic Missile: while necessary, a  multi person stun that can be used while knocked down that can kill most polymorphed critters is a bit much!
Possible fixes: lower the damage from the spell, and make it a bit less spammable.

Okay I love you bye.
One issue I've found whilst playing wiz is with Teleport. Can be cast in seconds, and can whisk you back to your secure den a infinite number of times. I feel it should have a longer cooldown, or an interrupt-able casting time to prevent a wiz from using it to zip outta combat.
Hitting them during the time while they are disappearing should stop the teleport and stun them for a second or so.

it shouldn't effect the teleport book since thats limited to 3 uses and should be what you use for a emergency
My number one issue with wizards are their escape spells. It makes fighting them a absolute chore. Wizard comes into a room attacks, you go to attack back and it either teleports away or phase shifts away. Rinse and repeat. That goes on for the whole round. It's not fun and it's not really balanced for the players trying to defend themselves or fight the wizard.

I want Phase shift to either have a longer cooldown or to randomly teleport them to places.

I think the teleport spells should be nerfed so wizards have to commit to the situations they get themselves into without a easy out. It's nigh impossible to punish them when they can just vanish after they fireball a room. This would put a end to hit and run wizards and force them to think about where they are about to attack before coming in and spamming all their spells and then just teleporting away instantly. Currently they don't have to worry about any sort of punishment cause they can just escape at any given time with a short cooldown and a infinite amount of uses. It's overpowered as hell and not in the fun way and not fun for anyone trying to actually fight the wizard.
Idea inspired by edventure: Roll phase shift and teleport into the same spell, which randomly teleports to a location from the current teleport list, it just picks one randomly for you. Then, narrow the blink spell's spread of teleporting a little, so you go kind of in the right direction
Eh, hit and run is kinda integral to wizard tactics at the moment. Their shield spells aren't as good as keeping mobile, they don't have access by default and knock isn't a great way to spend a spell slot, and they have no healing spells.

Wizards that move around stay alive, so if you wanna weaken that you'll need to buff their other stuff

Maybe knock should be given for free and phase shift is something they have to buy?
Yeah I like that Idea Frank. Wizards seems to have alot of issues when you put it that way.
The main balancing mechanism for wizard is that it's stupid hard to learn anything about it or how to actually be a good wizard, which means most wizards die insanely quickly and the others either kill the station in no time flat or take forever to die.
I've always had a problem with you being required to knock them unconscious. Certain spells should probably require a staff for casting. Maybe make the SoC stay in hand when downed to counter? I dunno.

My other beef is that they're mobile AND powerful/assault-oriented. I really love their mobility for the most part. If I had my way, I'd focus on that mobility, tone down the destructiveness, and give them more things to annoy the ever living fuck out of people. Just make them veritable salt generators, I would. Wizards' magic is powered by salt, after all.

Currently, to be a good wizard, all you have to do is run away. Pick your fights, and you're practically invincible. That cuts out fun on both sides.
Quick idea:

Wizard spells come in three categories: Offensive, Defensive, and utility. Give them one of each for free. Magic missle covers offense, knock would be utility, and maybe forcewall for defensive?

Then, let them pick an additional spell from each category, plus one more from the category of their choice.
Personally, I don't get the hate for wizards.

They're currently my third favorite antagonist to play, behind wraith and blob, and they're my absolute favorite antagonist to fight.

If there's anything I'd change regarding wizards, I'd make the rest of their kit more useful so that they have more options besides the high frequency picks of teleport, fireball, polymorph, clown's revenge, rathen's secret, and knock.
if there's a wizard then you should group up with people instead of trying to 1v1 the antag with probably the best 1v1 abilities 

wizard doesnt have great cc abilities so capitalize on that
I think wizards are fine except for two spells. 
1. Polymorph needs to be changed, preferably where it has a high chance of making dangerous animals like yetis so it can backfire on the wizard.
2. Teleport needs a limit on how much it can be used. I'm not sure bit I thought there used to be a limit on it, it should function like an enhanced teleportation scroll but not where it is unlimited.
(05-25-2017, 06:38 PM)Musketman12 Wrote: 2. Teleport needs a limit on how much it can be used. I'm not sure bit I thought there used to be a limit on it, it should function like an enhanced teleportation scroll but not where it is unlimited.

I think that teleport shouldn't have a limited number of uses, but that it SHOULD have a range limit on it, so that you can't just teleport back to your shuttle whenever you're in danger, you're stuck somewhere nearby
The ling is the one that should have the best 1v1 abilities, imo. That shouldn't even be approachable.

Of course thems just be my opinionses.