Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor mining mechanic manipulations
Rockworms: They only eat while they are in a player's view. If you wander away, they'll stop eating. Is this to preserve resources, or... a bug?

Mining rigs: sometimes they will bug out and not load their contents to any satchel. You will have to drag a crate all the way to empty them.
It would help to have an "unload ores" button in their panel, that dumped ores next to them.

Mining rigs, accumulator and other large machines: can only be pulled behind. Losing the grip and having to backtrack and jostle until you can pull them again happens quite often.
Couldn't they be held in your hand, but not be placed in your backpack.

Precious ores like cobryl and syreline sell for less than even bohrum. And since bohrum and claretine are usually easy to find, there is no point in mining those.

It would be nice to have some mixed deposits. Maybe several concentric tiers, with soft rock mauxite/molitz outside, pharosium in the middle and harder rocks bohrum, claretine, plasma and cerenkite further inside.
This way you could keep hacking deeper at the same asteroid, without buzzing around mining tiny bits out of a few different ones.
This is something of a late bump, but having played a bit of mining recently, working with the extractors is like pulling teeth. First, you need to find yourself a super dense deposit of mineral you want, and if you were smart enough to bring the extractor with you(no one is), set it up and let it chug away. If you didn't you get to fly back to the outpost, grab it, and drag it all the way back. If you bothered with the teleporter upgrade, at least your troubles stop here. Otherwise, you eventually have to go back and grab a crate to load into it(though I guess you could fly one there with a pod now. Eh), then send it to wherever with a cargo transporter.

How hard would it be to make ore extractors deployable, like the briefcase computer? They have a mode where they can be held in your hand, then you click on a tile to deploy them there, and click again to interact with it. Then when you want to pack it up and move it somewhere else, you can right click it to choose a pack-up option to turn it back into its pick-upable state? Maybe even do the same thing to the mineral accumulator.
I'm just going to go ahead and admit it: I have no goddamned idea how to make an extractor work. I've tried dragging it to ore deposits. I've tried jiggering with all the different controls and settings. It just refuses to work for me, and frankly I don't give enough of a shit about it to bother caring.
Ore Extractors 101:

Hunt for tiny (4 squares max, normally) asteroids.
Scan them to see if they're dense (black square).
If so, dump the extractor nearby. Use it, it should show a bunch of possible coordinates. Pick one.
Extractor sucks up rock. Go collect it every now and again!

But yeah there's really pretty much no point in using them at all frown
A minor change suggestion: Halve the price of the mining rig teleporter upgrade and make higher tier superdense asteroids more common (good luck finding more than one that's not maux/mol/phas in a round).
Marquesas Wrote:A minor change suggestion: Halve the price of the mining rig teleporter upgrade and make higher tier superdense asteroids more common (good luck finding more than one that's not maux/mol/phas in a round).

Superdense ore generation wasn't half-bad on Shroom Mining; with the rearrangement of ores with Cogstation, these extractor squares have dramatically decreased in number.

Half of the little four-squares around space are hardly dense at all! There's about two deposits currently on map if I recall correctly.
I actually agree with the drone driven mining being rather awesome. Having the task as being an overseer while managing drone paths, repairs and maybe even defense (rockworms wanting to break drones to eat the ores inside? or the syndie drones attacking the station drones).
I'd imagine the increased activity wouldn't be all that great for server optimization purposes though.

Having a remote controlled mining drone would be cool as well, so the miners can sip their coffee from the safety of their station while gathering resources for the station. Untill something goes terribly wrong... *queue dramatic science fiction plot*

I agree though that mining is rather tedious and uninspiring atm, it's no surprise most miners just fuck off into space and die to fermids, shamblers etc.
APARTHEID Wrote:Superdense ore generation wasn't half-bad on Shroom Mining; with the rearrangement of ores with Cogstation, these extractor squares have dramatically decreased in number.

Half of the little four-squares around space are hardly dense at all! There's about two deposits currently on map if I recall correctly.

uhhhh with a few exceptions of things shuffled to make room for the prison and the listening post, the mining field is completely the same between both maps
Perhaps the giant (Possibly facemelting) power laser could be redirected to other zlevels as well.

e.g Send the laser beam off to some other base so that a normally vacated station can receive power.
What if you simply have to target an SMES with the laser to start beaming power to it? The computer can be used to scan and pick SMES to start powering, there's a special location already on the computer called "CENTCOM" that gives you money when you beam power to it, and when emagged the console allows you to manually direct the beam and fry random people with it.

Plus, you could stick it in the "Power Room" and make it the domain of Mechanics. Give them more to do, since the Engineers got more stuff to occupy their time.