Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AI (Artificial Intelligence) - The Thread
(05-23-2017, 10:04 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: EDIT: Also I second the 'remove killswitch' mostly because I see it used as an anti-fun button rather than something to fix a legitimate problem
I would be curious as to what its intended use case actually is

I imagine it's intended use case would the removed "Rogue AI" antagonist, mostly
(04-23-2017, 08:52 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I had the idea at one point of the AI spending a limited amount of 'memory' from roundstart to go through a skill tree/just pick stuff. A decent crop, but not every single ability (assuming they're given a large variety). Some AIs might always pick a certain set, so you start to recognize them and what they can do to help, others wait to adapt to what other people request/the task at hand, so on and so forth.

AI resets might allow reallocating skills.

The purpose of this: give AI skills that matter and feel developed, while allowing some limitations and also some extra flavor for destiny-type stuff
This was also a really neat idea I liked
Make laws regarding the (permanent) self-destruction of the AI to be invalid, at least for ordering them to commit suicide. Instead, those laws would require the silicons to go into sleep mode, where they are deactivated until someone turns them back on with a law reset. Same thing for killswitching, make it just lock them down so they can be fixed.

That way, you'll also have to pipebomb the AI in order to kill it, just like everyone else.
(05-23-2017, 10:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-23-2017, 08:52 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I had the idea at one point of the AI spending a limited amount of 'memory' from roundstart to go through a skill tree/just pick stuff. A decent crop, but not every single ability (assuming they're given a large variety). Some AIs might always pick a certain set, so you start to recognize them and what they can do to help, others wait to adapt to what other people request/the task at hand, so on and so forth.

The purpose of this: give AI skills that matter and feel developed, while allowing some limitations and also some extra flavor for destiny-type stuff

thanks bubby
i really like the idea of an ai personality extending beyond its speech traits and going to how it deals with different situations
if you wanted to really spice stuff up, you should try using some of your Frank_Stein magic by making a rudimentary skill tree format for your existing abilities (all of which I like)
basically minor/moderate/major skills, i would imagine with full memory usage you'd only get a few 'major' skills depending on what that means
(05-23-2017, 10:58 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 10:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

thanks bubby
i really like the idea of an ai personality extending beyond its speech traits and going to how it deals with different situations
if you wanted to really spice stuff up, you should try using some of your Frank_Stein magic by making a rudimentary skill tree format for your existing abilities (all of which I like)
basically minor/moderate/major skills, i would imagine with full memory usage you'd only get a few 'major' skills depending on what that means

What kinds of skills would they get? Maybe some cooldown abilities that have a potent effect, like stunning all the bots in a room, or shooting lightning out of APCs, activating emergency fire suppression, things like that?
give the ai the power to draft special alert announcements that are accompanied by a noise. you know, like when you spot a blob but the humans arent paying attention to the radio chatbox. put a cooldown timer on it.
I was working on something like that at one point. Basically I was thinking there should be three tiers to some abilities, and then single tier  things along a certain branch

An example would be 3 tiers that each increase camera view range, compared two a single tier for each of the vision modes.

(05-23-2017, 01:30 PM)misto Wrote: give the ai the power to draft special alert announcements that are accompanied by a noise. you know, like when you spot a blob but the humans arent paying attention to the radio chatbox. put a cooldown timer on it.

Something like that could work along the waypoint tiers, since they both deal with AI's abilty to alert people.

My trees were something like, Surveillance (Dealing with AI's abilty to gather info) Stewardship (Dealing with AI's abilty to directly help run the station) and Subterfuge (Dealing with AI's abilty to thwart threats through various means)
As one of the regular AI players on LLJK1, one of the things that frustrates me the most is being unable to tell what items are on a tile.

I'd be massively for a simple buff of letting the AI either right click to pull up a menu of items, or giving it access to the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+click view to bring up the list in their Status tab as per humans (allowing interactions with them as normal from there if relevant). I can't see any downsides to either version of this assuming interactions were otherwise as normal (not allowing Move To Top, Pull, etc. etc., limit to examine and a left-click interaction if ordinarily possible - ... maybe allow unlocking the cloning/genetics scanners?).
(05-23-2017, 10:04 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 07:49 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 10:03 AM)Grizzwold Wrote: I know someone was working on an AI view that was a bit like the blob overmind is now where instead of jumping between cameras it was a bit smoother. I dunno what happened to that but it would be really nice to have.

UPDATE FROM ADMIN CODER TEAM: All that we have to do with the overmind-style AI is finish some parts of hooking cameras up and then hooking up the actual being in the floaty thing part. However, if something AI related is to be worked on, this is probably top priority for us.

COOL AND GOOD thank you very much

EDIT: Also I second the 'remove killswitch' mostly because I see it used as an anti-fun button rather than something to fix a legitimate problem
I would be curious as to what its intended use case actually is
I thought the main intended use was to easily kill cyborgs that were being ass?
i m o there should be a borg killswitch separate from ais
i think that's a thing in other codebases and often times it would be better to just cripple the cyborgs