Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Security - The Thread
This has been a series of very good and encouraging posts.
I think i'll give it a try next time I see a good secboi on, if they're willing to have an apprentice. Sounds fun.
(08-25-2017, 10:08 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: This has been a series of very good and encouraging posts.
I think i'll give it a try next time I see a good secboi on, if they're willing to have an apprentice. Sounds fun.

We should play together! Not sure if I'd qualify with the former, but the latter is always true (well, more so teammate than apprentice, but) a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble
(08-25-2017, 07:44 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Being too reliant on any one gameplay mechanic is the opposite of robust. The most robust players are able to adapt to any situation with little to zero preparation beforehand. Robustness isn't something you can obtain just by following combat advice people give you, it's something you'll get by learning how the game works and how players behave over time.

alternatively, you can prepare for every single outcome at the same time a million years in advance and never get caught off guard
(08-25-2017, 07:44 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Being too reliant on any one gameplay mechanic is the opposite of robust. The most robust players are able to adapt to any situation with little to zero preparation beforehand. Robustness isn't something you can obtain just by following combat advice people give you, it's something you'll get by learning how the game works and how players behave over time.

Besides, it's not sec's job to be robust, its their job to give antags a harder time mass-murdering the crew, and increase the challenge to make it more fun.

DrZ that is a spot on diagnosis. Being robust is sometimes jokingly referred to as who can click faster, but it's actually about using anything and everything in your current environment to win. Never rely on one thing to carry you. That being said, there is one thing that can never be relied on too hard and that thing is a fire extinguisher.
(08-25-2017, 10:08 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: This has been a series of very good and encouraging posts.

It may be due to Cog1 being hell for Security, or it just be me, but I haven't seen a single Officer online in well over 2 weeks, besides myself when I feel extra masochistic.
The situation is not helped by the odds of the detective or the captain each being a traitor hovering at around 50%.
Likely just the time you're logging in: I've seen at least one (non-you) security officer every round I've observed for the past week between 6pm and 10pm EST.
I've been seeing some. Even played with a HoS and two other officers last week.
(10-20-2017, 08:56 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 10:08 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: This has been a series of very good and encouraging posts.

It may be due to Cog1 being hell for Security, or it just be me, but I haven't seen a single Officer online in well over 2 weeks, besides myself when I feel extra masochistic.
The situation is not helped by the odds of the detective or the captain each being a traitor hovering at around 50%.

Cog1's security portion is a bit odd. I play pretty much nothing but sec, yet I hardly ever venture into the upper half of the department. I hate going up there with a criminal in tow because if something happens and he gets me, nobody will ever notice. It needs general cells, specifically ones that are within view-range of the main lobby. Other than that, I enjoy cog1 much more than cog2.

Quote:odds of the detective or the captain each being a traitor hovering at around 50%

THIS, by far. I don't care about the captain. I expect them to be either incompetent, AFK, or dead, so I don't pay them much mind. Detectives, however, serve as the vanguards to uncovering who the antags are, yet half the time it's them. Yes, I know, "security officers can do everything a detective can do." But it'd be nice if you know, their role actually meant something.

Ed Venture Wrote:I've been seeing some. Even played with a HoS and two other officers last week.

I've been tempted to play HoS, but I simply don't feel competent in normal security procedures. I've gotten really good at killing antags. Making sure to check everything on them, de-implanting them, borging them, etc. Usually nab me at least one each shift. However, I have the hardest time dealing with non-antag greytide. Goon's space law is very lenient. Even if they bust into the armory and outright murder an officer, the most I can put them in for is around 8 minutes. At least with an antag, I can off them and be done with it. With Greytide McGee however, I have to cater to them, make sure I don't kill them in some fashion, all the while they trash the station, bust into sec, and attempt to murder me every time they see me get downed, often times in a feud that lasts the entire shift. Needless to say, it usually leads to me killing them, followed by the inevitable bwoinks.
(10-23-2017, 12:18 AM)Hikurac Wrote: I've been tempted to play HoS, but I simply don't feel competent in normal security procedures. I've gotten really good at killing antags. Making sure to check everything on them, de-implanting them, borging them, etc. Usually nab me at least one each shift. However, I have the hardest time dealing with non-antag greytide. Goon's space law is very lenient. Even if they bust into the armory and outright murder an officer, the most I can put them in for is around 8 minutes. At least with an antag, I can off them and be done with it. With Greytide McGee however, I have to cater to them, make sure I don't kill them in some fashion, all the while they trash the station, bust into sec, and attempt to murder me every time they see me get downed, often times in a feud that lasts the entire shift. Needless to say, it usually leads to me killing them, followed by the inevitable bwoinks.

You're not supposed to kill innocents, but if people are ACTING like antags, Admins tend to be pretty understandable.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but while you should avoid killing people as much as possible, if they're trying to murder you or constantly harass you in a way that you could die, most people will completely understand if you retaliate with lethal action.

Also, admins hate greytiders as much as the players do in my experience.  If people are greytiding, ask the captain to send out a warning to tell them to knock it off or risk being killed on sight and sweep the station.
(10-23-2017, 12:18 AM)Hikurac Wrote: Usually nab me at least one each shift.
HOW!?!? I've been playing Security for over a year and Goon for nearly 2 years, and I couldn't even identify, let alone capture a traitor.
Seriously, the other day I was Captain, and I didn't identify either of the Antagonists of that round, until one of them was dragged lifelessly in the Security lobby by a vigilante, and the other one, who had been shadowing me as a loyal Detective the whole round, until he THREW A FIREBOMB IN MY FACE! And he still got away!
Not that I have that kinda success rate, but most traitors give themselves away by how they behave. For instance, you see a guy who seems to be following you? Head around a corner or room where they have no business being in, then hide and see if they come in. 9/10 they don't see you, linger for a bit, then head right out. Now you've got a person to keep a closer watch on.

A lot of times antags are looking for opportunities, so it pays to give them some to lure them in
little tip: if people are wearing wrestling belts they are probably also traitors. maybe. just saying because one of my favourite traitor shenanigans is just walking around with a belt on and occasionally using it for table hijinks but not actually attacking anyone. usually takes until around the shuttle for anyone to actually notice and react
(10-23-2017, 12:18 AM)Hikurac Wrote: I've been tempted to play HoS, but I simply don't feel competent in normal security procedures. I've gotten really good at killing antags. Making sure to check everything on them, de-implanting them, borging them, etc. Usually nab me at least one each shift. However, I have the hardest time dealing with non-antag greytide. Goon's space law is very lenient. Even if they bust into the armory and outright murder an officer, the most I can put them in for is around 8 minutes. At least with an antag, I can off them and be done with it. With Greytide McGee however, I have to cater to them, make sure I don't kill them in some fashion, all the while they trash the station, bust into sec, and attempt to murder me every time they see me get downed, often times in a feud that lasts the entire shift. Needless to say, it usually leads to me killing them, followed by the inevitable bwoinks.

HoS is whitelisted. You'll have to play as a Normal Security Officer and make a name for yourself and then apply for the role on here.

Spacelaw on LLJK2 is nothing more then a guideline. They are not set in stone rules for the role.
Common Sense/Good judgement>Space Law imo. Following Space Law to the T on LLJK2 just leads to people getting killed or officers hesitating in the moment and either dying or the crimer getting away.

On Non Antags fucking with Security or if it seems like they mean you harm then I'll tell you what I tell everyone as I was told be a admin.

If people are messing with you to the point where they are getting in the way of you doing you job, are trying to hurt you or raiding security. Give them three warnings. On the second warning adminhelp it saying it's starting to get to the point where you feel you will have to kill them. After the third warning tell the person/people that there will be no third warning and you will most likely kill them if they don't stop. If you do kill a person after these three warnings shoot another adminhelp out detailing everything about the situation from when it started to the moment of their death. The more information and honesty you give them the easier it is for them to do their job.
the best solution, as always, is to beat people

i'd be a little dissuaded from being a crimer if rather than being thrown in a cubicle for 3 minutes i'd have someone beat the shit out of (but not kill) and force me to limp over to medbay and spend 5-10 minutes getting treated
Technature Wrote:You're not supposed to kill innocents, but if people are ACTING like antags, Admins tend to be pretty understandable.

Also, admins hate greytiders as much as the players do in my experience.

Yeah, I assume this is why I haven't been banned yet, thankfully.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:HOW!?!? I've been playing Security for over a year and Goon for nearly 2 years, and I couldn't even identify, let alone capture a traitor.
Seriously, the other day I was Captain, and I didn't identify either of the Antagonists of that round, until one of them was dragged lifelessly in the Security lobby by a vigilante, and the other one, who had been shadowing me as a loyal Detective the whole round, until he THREW A FIREBOMB IN MY FACE! And he still got away!

I hunt down antags pretty much every shift. I have a forensic scanner, de-implantation tools, and a ling test kit on me at all times. 90% of my round time is spent scouring the halls, scanning things, and doing routine check-ups on high-value locations. You have to create a system and routine, then optimize it. I've also developed a decent relationship with some of the regulars, so they'll sometimes message me about shady stuff that's not quite important enough to say over the radio, knowing that I'll look into it.

You should also prepare for common situations. Grab a calomel syringe and put it in a box, in case of a ling sting. Have a space suit available at all times, for when a breach occurs or you get spaced. Every single time someone stands next to you for longer than a second, you should follow up by scanning yourself with an upgraded health analyzer/reagent scanner. If you hear a wiznerd, you need to be preparing some acid. Etc, etc. etc. Being good at using your taser won't make you a robust officer. Having a lot of knowledge of game mechanics and how to counter them is what makes you robust, provided that you pull it off.

I've thought about making a security tutorial video for dealing with antags, along with the preparation and procedures I use, but I'm lazy. :/ I might make one if there's demand for it, however.