Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Security - The Thread
only way to get robust is to try robusting. and lag. lag makes you robust sometimes. not with tasers though

honestly whenever i play sec and need to catch someone and hear a tip about where they are, i hide in a bush where i think they are going with a taser set to burst stun, then shoot as they walk past. if i miss they just run away anyway, so i can recharge and try again later. and if i hit, then i throw them in the brig
(08-24-2017, 01:14 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: honestly whenever i play sec and need to catch someone and hear a tip about where they are, i hide in a bush where i think they are going with a taser set to burst stun, then shoot as they walk past. if i miss they just run away anyway, so i can recharge and try again later. and if i hit, then i throw them in the brig

Being security isn't so much about overpowering as much as it is outsmarting bad guys.  Getting the drop on someone is roughly 200% more effective than straight up fighting them.

Don't forget that you tend to outnumber bad guys, even if you don't have any other security.  When there isn't much security, some people are more than happy to try to stop someone if they're being a big enough problem.
(08-24-2017, 01:46 PM)Technature Wrote: Being security isn't so much about overpowering as much as it is outsmarting bad guys.  Getting the drop on someone is roughly 200% more effective than straight up fighting them.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if you are less robust than your foe if you can outsmart them. I have a story that shows this well: crime clown was going on a revolver rampage, and I arrested them after they tripped on their own shoes. Another officer decided they wanted to interrogate crime clown BEFORE searching them, which proved to be a mistake when crime clown got his handcuffs off and pulled out a second revolver and killed the other officer. In the ensuing firefight in security, I was put into crit by AP rounds and crime clown escaped through a disposals chute, but I had a medkit on me so I could heal myself out of crit, take an analgesic pill to negate the slowdown, and get to disposals to open the crusher door before crime clown could react. One of my most proud moments as an officer.
If you're unrobust like me, you could just go on the defensive and abuse readily available drugs. An IV full of coffee, a bottle of Happy Elf, a pack of smokes, and a box of donks will protect you from and give you a decent edge in light scuffles for a long time. Salb and anal pills last ages, and salb can save you from shallow crit and cannot be overdosed. Cryoxystyline will bring you back from the brink of death, as well as protect you from most further harm.

If you can't take em down, you can at least keep them from taking you down.
(08-24-2017, 03:30 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Junkie talk
Abusing drugs is part of being robust :flex:
(08-24-2017, 01:46 PM)Technature Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 01:14 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: honestly whenever i play sec and need to catch someone and hear a tip about where they are, i hide in a bush where i think they are going with a taser set to burst stun, then shoot as they walk past. if i miss they just run away anyway, so i can recharge and try again later. and if i hit, then i throw them in the brig

Being security isn't so much about overpowering as much as it is outsmarting bad guys.  Getting the drop on someone is roughly 200% more effective than straight up fighting them.

Don't forget that you tend to outnumber bad guys, even if you don't have any other security.  When there isn't much security, some people are more than happy to try to stop someone if they're being a big enough problem.

Situational awareness is a big part of that. Know where the nearest rechargers, med kits, fire extinguishers, etc are at all times. Not only because you might need them, but the enemy might as well. I've caught plenty of people ambushing them while they charge their guns back up after earlier skirmishes.
I'd agree with all the other people here. It's always nice to have more sec, even if they don't consider themselves robust. It's really more about the mindset and willingness to cooperate and communicate.

(08-24-2017, 01:13 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If you get into a situation where you need to fight, feel free to run off and get somewhere safe instead of engaging. That gives you an opportunity to regroup, alert others, and wait until the situation is more in your favor.

Too important. Really, keep this in mind.
I’m unrobust because I never abuse healing chems. I should start stocking up before the fights start. Generally I eat a stun and get dragged off to my death immediately. Should I start cooking meth?
stun reduction is unrobust. outrunning all forms of stuns is robust. if they manage to stun me (other than lings which are bullshit) then they win, they probably deserve it
(08-24-2017, 09:14 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: stun reduction is unrobust

Then why's the coffee named "Robust Coffee"? Huh??
When I was learning how to be robust back in the old days I knew right off the back that facing most players in a one on one fight was suicide. So I focused on ambushing them. Even the most super robust player can be taken down if you catch them off guard. Follow, plan and attack. Pick the right moment and you will most likely win. Bring chems that buff you for a short time just incase.
Just buy it at the diner, it's easier.

Really, the answer to most drugs you'd want is to spend a few minutes on the slot machine and hit up the diner, as doing it with chemistry is more trouble than it's worth.
if you really want easy stims, just buy some robust coffee and shove it in an iv or drinking glasses cause i think those hold more than the coffee cups. or bottles, dunno what those are like
If you still can't understand on how to be a good Security Officer from this thread then I think anyone who is going to try and be the best officer they can be should watch the movie "Hot Fuzz" That movie will teach you all that you need to know about the role.
Being too reliant on any one gameplay mechanic is the opposite of robust. The most robust players are able to adapt to any situation with little to zero preparation beforehand. Robustness isn't something you can obtain just by following combat advice people give you, it's something you'll get by learning how the game works and how players behave over time.

Besides, it's not sec's job to be robust, its their job to give antags a harder time mass-murdering the crew, and increase the challenge to make it more fun.