Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Security - The Thread
Wise words from Hikurac there. Really good tips. I'd love to see a Security Tutorial video. I've been maining the role for almost six years now but would love to see someone teach people their ways though a video.
As an officer, especially if you're the only officer, try to get your hands on a port-a-nanomed remote. Either you can ask MD for the one in his office, or copy the program from a vending machine PDA cart. Having near-instant access to the portamed will save lives, and the crew is more likely to like you if you pull them out of crit every now and then.
(10-23-2017, 08:49 PM)Hikurac Wrote:
Technature Wrote:You're not supposed to kill innocents, but if people are ACTING like antags, Admins tend to be pretty understandable.

Also, admins hate greytiders as much as the players do in my experience.

Yeah, I assume this is why I haven't been banned yet, thankfully.

The Grim Sleeper Wrote:HOW!?!? I've been playing Security for over a year and Goon for nearly 2 years, and I couldn't even identify, let alone capture a traitor.
Seriously, the other day I was Captain, and I didn't identify either of the Antagonists of that round, until one of them was dragged lifelessly in the Security lobby by a vigilante, and the other one, who had been shadowing me as a loyal Detective the whole round, until he THREW A FIREBOMB IN MY FACE! And he still got away!

I hunt down antags pretty much every shift. I have a forensic scanner, de-implantation tools, and a ling test kit on me at all times. 90% of my round time is spent scouring the halls, scanning things, and doing routine check-ups on high-value locations. You have to create a system and routine, then optimize it. I've also developed a decent relationship with some of the regulars, so they'll sometimes message me about shady stuff that's not quite important enough to say over the radio, knowing that I'll look into it.

You should also prepare for common situations. Grab a calomel syringe and put it in a box, in case of a ling sting. Have a space suit available at all times, for when a breach occurs or you get spaced. Every single time someone stands next to you for longer than a second, you should follow up by scanning yourself with an upgraded health analyzer/reagent scanner. If you hear a wiznerd, you need to be preparing some acid. Etc, etc. etc. Being good at using your taser won't make you a robust officer. Having a lot of knowledge of game mechanics and how to counter them is what makes you robust, provided that you pull it off.

I've thought about making a security tutorial video for dealing with antags, along with the preparation and procedures I use, but I'm lazy. :/ I might make one if there's demand for it, however.

Everything you say here is good advice, most of it stuff I know on a conscious level but can't do without deliberate effort, etc. etc. etc.

Acid for wizards though? Does, like, splashing a beaker or throwing a glass melt their hat or something?
cheese strat since wizards cant cast without wearing all of their clothes
(10-24-2017, 11:07 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Acid for wizards though? Does, like, splashing a beaker or throwing a glass melt their hat or something?

Specifically fluorosulfuric acid melts headgear if splashed on someone. You can also use it to melt their staff if they end up dropping it. Or just splash it on them to do a load of burn damage.
(10-24-2017, 11:14 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 11:07 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: Acid for wizards though? Does, like, splashing a beaker or throwing a glass melt their hat or something?

Specifically fluorosulfuric acid melts headgear if splashed on someone. You can also use it to melt their staff if they end up dropping it. Or just splash it on them to do a load of burn damage.

If you're a really bad shot and don't mind horrible collateral damage, you can also suicide-smoke the acid and hope to catch the wizard on the blast.

Don't do this though.

Hmm... Does it work in a flamethrower?
(10-24-2017, 11:11 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: cheese strat since wizards cant cast without wearing all of their clothes

It's the only strat I've come across that actually works against teleport-happy wizards. I'm all ears for an alternative.

Superlagg Wrote:Hmm... Does it work in a flamethrower?

It should, but I'd be weary of acidifying my own outfit.

Cyfarfod Wrote:As an officer, especially if you're the only officer, try to get your hands on a port-a-nanomed remote. Either you can ask MD for the one in his office, or copy the program from a vending machine PDA cart. Having near-instant access to the portamed will save lives, and the crew is more likely to like you if you pull them out of crit every now and then.

Yeah the nanomed is essential. It's basically a medkit on steroids. And like you said, you should make an attempt to give hurt crewmembers meds when possible. It's a nice gesture that takes very little effort. It's also how I managed to become friends with some of the regulars who give me info on potential antags.