Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reinforce Genpop
Currently genpop is incredibly easy to break out of, all you need to use is one of the chairs in there to break a window which then makes genpop useless for future use and makes me use solitary, of which there is only one. I think the windows in genpop should be made into plasma glass so you can't just break them with your shoe.
give security zones and the bridge and ai core and shit reinforced plasma glass instead of normal windows. that purple shit is way too underused!
Agreed. I Also don't use genpop because everyone just breaks out. I'd prefer to lock people up somewhere where they can have something fun to do.

PS: Also increase the time the brig floor flushers stay open. Some people minimize the window for their sentence and accidentally miss the release window and end up permabrigged. This is bad.
I agree the brig is way too easy to break out of and I too have stopped using Genpop on both Cogmap1 and Cogmap2 cause it's way too easy for people to break out of. I just put people in the single cells now or babysit them till their time is up.

Either make Genpop harder to escape from or add the Warden role so someone else can babysit criminals.
(05-20-2017, 10:33 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: Agreed. I Also don't use genpop because everyone just breaks out. I'd prefer to lock people up somewhere where they can have something fun to do.

PS: Also increase the time the brig floor flushers stay open. Some people minimize the window for their sentence and accidentally miss the release window and end up permabrigged. This is bad.
Get rid of the floor flushers, and instead just have a second door they can leave through at their discretion that opens after the timer is up
shameless self bump because genpop is still lame
Anytime I play sec the first thing I do is grab metal and add strategically-placed R-Tables to all the weak points. Just putting tables in front of all the exposed glass should be enough to make genpop actually useful.
(06-18-2017, 10:46 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Anytime I play sec the first thing I do is grab metal and add strategically-placed R-Tables to all the weak points. Just putting tables in front of all the exposed glass should be enough to make genpop actually useful.

You're the hero we need but not the hero we deserve. Also I don't play Security on Cogmap1 anymore cause of this very reason this thread was made.
(05-20-2017, 10:33 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: PS: Also increase the time the brig floor flushers stay open. Some people minimize the window for their sentence and accidentally miss the release window and end up permabrigged. This is bad.

Have floor flushers stay open until someone enters it (at least in cells, genpop should probably not do this since it's intention is to keep several people in til a set time).
There's numerous fundamental issues with just simply "reinforcing the brig".

First of all, the brig should be escape-able by the average player, excluding solitary. This means no tools should be required, but if one has tools then it should be obviously easier (the guard didn't do his job in that scenario). This isn't really a controversial opinion, it's an observation: See literally any brig in any map and even other servers outside our codebase.

Which means surrounding it with R-Walls would be a bad idea.

While putting up R-Tables is a smart move, it's far from ideal. Now prisoners on their own have zero way to escape. It's also unbalanced: any genpop with more than one player will have no issue with that table. Which spoils the idea of a genpop: How is a brig that's designed to hold more than one person become instantly unusable when there's more than one person in it?

Plasma glass is also far from ideal. Once you smash plasma glass, it is unrepairable. You could say "well make plasma glass constructable (again? I forget)" but then you'll have staff assistants building walls of it with the shit, glass that's a pain in the ass to break. Breaking plasma glass also yields plasma shards, which are one of the best weapons in the game. Yes the plasma glass windows work in LLJK1 but there's a significantly smaller population and prisoners in general behave differently.

It badly needs a redesign. The "easy" solutions is akin to slapping a band-aid on a buckshot wound. Playing security is already nightmarish for players, and we get threads "why does nobody play security?", well firstly just look at the brig? It's design is a punishment in itself.

I'm honestly getting fairly tired of all this hand-waving pointing at the glaring issues.
Plasma glass is actually repairable. Not sure if built glass has the same resilience as placed glass, but you can absolutely turn shards into windows if you put the time in.
(06-20-2017, 07:13 AM)Sundance Wrote: There's numerous fundamental issues with just simply "reinforcing the brig".

First of all, the brig should be escape-able by the average player, excluding solitary. This means no tools should be required, but if one has tools then it should be obviously easier (the guard didn't do his job in that scenario). This isn't really a controversial opinion, it's an observation: See literally any brig in any map and even other servers outside our codebase.

While I do agree with this heavily, Cog1's brig has three separate places a person could slam a chair into, and all of them cannot be seen by either of the other two places (the top half of the west point the only exception being able to see the north escape point, though then you can't see the bottom half if you wanna see the north).

The brig should be easy to escape from when security isn't doing their job properly, not because it's understaffed or three out of a possible five security officers are finding an understandibly better use of their time.