Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
What jobs need an update?
(05-20-2017, 07:41 AM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 07:13 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: AI would immediately be far easier to play if there was a blob overmind mode so we stopped having to deal with that herky-jerky camera movement, but of course that would still leave his actual functional toolkit quite sparse

The thing about this is that it would have to be made fast, with current cameras I can get from one side of the station to the other in 3 seconds while the blob overmind is slow with movement and the teleport thing is disorienting and is basically what we don't want.

You're over-thinking this, we already have ghosts that can zip across the station by holding sprint

(05-20-2017, 12:58 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: When used I play QM it was:
- Get budget emptied by Cap or QMs. Usually powergaming gear or funny clothing.
- Turn QM into a growop.
*- Mine.
- Return with minerals.
- Sell weed and minerals.
- Get budget emptied again.
- Repeat from *.

It's always better for producers to sell their own stuff, as QM will just embezzle their gains. It's quicker and more profitable for QM to produce their own exports. There's no 'progress' to QM; no goals, no glory. Almost all it does could be replaced by allowing people to place orders through their bank account to a general area. That doesn't bode well for the job, as is.

As is, it's only value lies in RP. The job needs something to achieve. I've always been partial to the station upgrade idea, but I have no idea how that would work. Depending on how it would be implemented, people might actually care when the HoP empties the budget.

Most useful QM feature is the ability to order cures by sending pathogen samples to CDC, most people dont seem to know about it and the ones that do cant use it because it's so damn expensive.
Yeah, I mostly did it on 1 because it often gets bombed and raided (as Vita pointed out) more often than a fridge full of free candy in a mine field.
Not trying to sound like a lame nerd here but this thread literally serves no purpose other than someone to bicker about their selective department and offers no agreed framework on how to improve it.

Note the word agreed, sure everyone has their own colorful idea on what to do (I myself am guilty of this) but when all the cards are on the table it just obscures the solution rather than solidifies it.

That said there's no "perfect" solution where everyone would be satisfied but threads like this is a lesson in madness.

In other words: Fuck this thread.
Ah, I forget about the CDC thing. It's more a stopgap countermeasure to pathology than a QM thing. By the time the kit gets back, there's a good chance the rest of the station is limblessly gibbering Shakespeare while shooting lightning bolts out their arse and burning to a crisp in their own fartfire, until they inevitably explode in magnificent fashion.

It's always funny to see that one person running around saying "Hold on! I'm fixing this" when 80% of the station is already dead. - and I don't mean that sarcastically, either. I lol every time.
(05-21-2017, 08:39 AM)Sundance Wrote: That said there's no "perfect" solution where everyone would be satisfied but threads like this is a lesson in madness.

Then what ARE we supposed to do? Isn't at least trying to make some plan better than nothing?
(05-21-2017, 10:31 AM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 08:39 AM)Sundance Wrote: That said there's no "perfect" solution where everyone would be satisfied but threads like this is a lesson in madness.

Then what ARE we supposed to do? Isn't at least trying to make some plan better than nothing?

Indeed it is, but what's happening in here is not planning, it's a bunch of people giving ideas with no real framework or plans to get anything done

Threads like this and at the ideas and suggestion forum basically follow this format:

- OP makes a suggestion
- First 2-3 posts think it's a good idea
- Somewhere around the 4th post, person A makes an addendum to the concept.
- Person B agrees with addendum and adds his own
- Person C heavily disagrees with Person A's addendum
- Misto comments with a valid but vague suggestion
- Good idea misto
- OP desperately tries to keep his thread on track
- Nobody listens and goes completely off tangent.
- A coder or contributor takes one peak into the abyss that is the thread and hits the back button on his browser.

This thread is even worse for this as it's just a fucking mess of ideas with no cohesiveness and the only thing it's showing is how we lack any community mindfulness of each other, instead this ego tooting of our own horns with our brilliant ideas that would take months to code.

Like take my robotics thread. I thought that because it wasn't really adding anything fundamentally new that it would be a hitch to code. Yet because I have little to no idea of how code works (and the code storm) it took significantly longer than expected. And that's not even saying I had expectations in the first place, the whole thread was originally a platform to rant.

So let's stop thinking that all these wonderful and grandiose ideas are going to come into fruition just because you've thought of them, because I guarantee someone will disagree with you.

Now I know this is going to come across as pure hypocrisy after everything said but I think that if we're going to spearhead something actually of worth then the first port of call would be to make a poll. You can't disagree or skew the stats, however it's imperative that the vote you put towards it is towards a feasible concept. From there, make a new thread, perhaps a new poll on what you want to see in the job. 

Then we actually have a horizon to move towards, because currently threads like this just looks like a ship going around in circles.

And I'm sorry if I come across as a bitter old crone. That's because I am one.  butt
We are all bitter old crones on this blessed day.
I just want to add that I'm at least reading every post in this thread, as I'm sure other admins are too. Mostly I've had no comments to make that expand on what's already being discussed by you guys.

You're right that this thread contains a lot of "oh that's gonna take a while to code" ideas though. Not necessarily a bad thing though! Keep rocking you guys.
(05-21-2017, 01:01 PM)Wire Wrote: I just want to add that I'm at least reading every post in this thread, as I'm sure other admins are too. Mostly I've had no comments to make that expand on what's already being discussed by you guys.

You're right that this thread contains a lot of "oh that's gonna take a while to code" ideasas though. Not necessarily a bad thing though! Keep rocking you guys.

Thanks for the update, wire.
this has probably been remarked on before, indeed i know it has, but hop and cap and a few other station heads could use more concrete goals to shoot for than splits between just filling in for their subordinates roles and acting like security but with different/better access

even if it doesnt add up to much more than more crew objs/special miscreant objs that remind them of what they should or could be doing, more direction for them might be good.

ex:
is your department a little understaffed? why not grab some nobodies and recruit them. make sure to change their ids!

hey medical director, why not remind the crew to give blood! gather an extra x full blood packs from the crew

hey research director, why not go out to the debris field or use the teleporter and find some weird shit to bring back to the station and research! but try not to go alone... use the buddy system! (weve already gone over how research needs some attention in other threads so that kind of ties in a lot with the state of the research director)

hey hop/cap, better go check up on x and y departments to make sure theyre actually working or not fucking all dead. if they are all dead, perhaps ask for volunteers to fill in? remember to give them proper access!

---

having more little reminders like that sitting in peoples "notes" or on their pda and shit will help give them roleplaying direction and motivation to get out there and interact and get all mixed up in the chaos and kill or be killed
(05-21-2017, 11:07 AM)Sundance Wrote:

Threads like this and at the ideas and suggestion forum basically follow this format:

- OP makes a suggestion
- First 2-3 posts think it's a good idea
- Somewhere around the 4th post, person A makes an addendum to the concept.
- Person B agrees with addendum and adds his own
- Person C heavily disagrees with Person A's addendum
- Misto comments with a valid but vague suggestion
- Good idea misto
- OP desperately tries to keep his thread on track
- Nobody listens and goes completely off tangent.
- A coder or contributor takes one peak into the abyss that is the thread and hits the back button on his browser.

This thread is even worse for this as it's just a fucking mess of ideas with no cohesiveness and the only thing it's showing is how we lack any community mindfulness of each other, instead this ego tooting of our own horns with our brilliant ideas that would take months to code.

Like take my robotics thread. I thought that because it wasn't really adding anything fundamentally new that it would be a hitch to code. Yet because I have little to no idea of how code works (and the code storm) it took significantly longer than expected. And that's not even saying I had expectations in the first place, the whole thread was originally a platform to rant.

So let's stop thinking that all these wonderful and grandiose ideas are going to come into fruition just because you've thought of them, because I guarantee someone will disagree with you.

Now I know this is going to come across as pure hypocrisy after everything said but I think that if we're going to spearhead something actually of worth then the first port of call would be to make a poll. You can't disagree or skew the stats, however it's imperative that the vote you put towards it is towards a feasible concept. From there, make a new thread, perhaps a new poll on what you want to see in the job. 

Then we actually have a horizon to move towards, because currently threads like this just looks like a ship going around in circles.

And I'm sorry if I come across as a bitter old crone. That's because I am one.  butt

I'd disagree with this, if only slightly. Threads such as this do serve an important point that they indicate what areas might need development, and how they could be improved. People voicing complaints about an aspect of a role is the first step to getting that area looked at.

I do agree that they're often rambling and difficult to follow, but that's probably because coming up with a cohesive ideas thread is tricky when people are so keen to suggest their own additions to an idea, with a thread ending up a jumbled mess as a result.
its good to bounce ideas back n forth in threads like this sundance, it helps us all formulate more GOOD IDEAS
Part of the reason I mention 'hey what about blob overmind style AI' is because every single time it's mentioned, by numerous separate people, everybody generally likes it over our current system. I'm pressing the topic because there's a ton of emphasis on AI lately.

So bleh. I get your point, though. This isn't necessarily an ideal format for getting shit done.
(05-21-2017, 02:59 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Part of the reason I mention 'hey what about blob overmind style AI' is because every single time it's mentioned, by numerous separate people, everybody generally likes it over our current system. I'm pressing the topic because there's a ton of emphasis on AI lately.

So bleh. I get your point, though. This isn't necessarily an ideal format for getting shit done.

I'm also 100% behind Blob style AI, and improving AI in general.

At the very least, I'd like camera view bookmarks because keeping everything else as is, they'd be tremendously useful when trying to keep an eye on several things at once.