Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decay Chemicals
Thumbs Up 
It would be neat if we had a new class of reagents(Decay Chemicals) that decayed into other reagents in the bloodstream. Similar to how sugar can decay into epinephrine  and embalming fluid decays into histamine. 

A cool example thought of by our very own AmaranthineApocalypse is Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). In the bloodstream it would decay into water and oxygen, while also doing a small amount of TOX damage every life cycle.

More decay chemicals similar to these would vastly increase how creative one can get with chemical reactions.

Here's some more ideas, post your own if you think of something cool!

Charcoal (the anti-tox stuff) decay to carbon
Perfluorodecalin decays into oxygen
Uranium decays into radium
We kinda tried this once with slow-running chemical reactions. It wasn't necessarily a bad idea but my execution was... subpar, it had to be reverted pretty fast since I couldn't really fix the issues without a deeper redesign of chemistry. The problem with the chemistry system is that the amount of creativity the system allows is directly correlated to the number of station/server-destroying explosions; slowed reactions allowed turning an already-perfected concotation from hell into something orders of magnitude worse, partly because many reactions don't consider the volume that's reacting in a sane fashion.
RIP mass crank-reaction explosion fuel tank.

I don't think this would be as bad, but it'd be a major headache to balance. It couldn't have anything that allows for a cascade of violent reactions which, let's be honest, is kinda the point.

For instance: Charcoal/Carbon + Uranium/Radium + Plasma = Vacuum Human
(05-15-2017, 02:18 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: RIP mass crank-reaction explosion fuel tank.

I don't think this would be as bad, but it'd be a major headache to balance. It couldn't have anything that allows for a cascade of violent reactions which, let's be honest, is kinda the point.

Fun fact, setting off LDM inside an icecube meatcubes the person inside it.
The idea is so appealing though, because of the synergy. Making a bunch of chems that just do their own thing and disappear without ever interacting isn't the same
I really want this to be a thing the possibilitys are endless.

Also what ever happened to the chemicompiler
(05-15-2017, 02:20 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 02:18 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: RIP mass crank-reaction explosion fuel tank.

Fun fact, setting off LDM inside an icecube meatcubes the person inside it.

Fortunately, it's not very practical since you have to do a lot of finagling to do it to anybody but yourself.
I'm not huge into chemistry, but how many chemicals decay into other chemicals on their own or when mixed with something else? A lot of stuff that you mix seems to happen instantaneous.

The only thing like this I know off the top of my head is ice melting into water because of heat.

But it would be interesting if you could, say, expose metals to acids that generated electricity from the acid decaying the metal.
There are two barman drinks that decay into the drugs used to make them as well as ethanol, which has the amusing side effect of having them play merry hell with motives. I do not recommend you ever imbibe them on the RP server.
(05-15-2017, 03:20 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: I really want this to be a thing the possibilitys are endless.

Also what ever happened to the chemicompiler

This sums up my feelings quite nicely. I wouldn't even mind if the power of each individual chemical got nerfed heavily to compensate. It just feels like chemistry is too much of a dead end without complex chemical reactions. There aren't enough possibilities
Frank: There's a good many, depending on what you're counting. If ye actually wanted a chem list, it's best to go here and here, look through the dms that contain reagents, and ctrl+f for add_reagent.

Of course I guess you could count boilpee too. Why wouldn't ya?
they arent really a new class of chemicals since they already exist, just should consider having more of them

maybesome ingested foods could, rather than instantly zapping their chems into the bloodstream, become a temporary "digesting food" reagent that decays into its vitamins/minerals/sugars/poisons

the biggest barrier to this is the fact that chemistry is already the primo most dangerous/useful/powerful thing on the station and it getting even more love shouldnt be a high priority
I would kill to have something that decayed into oxygen or plasma.
(05-15-2017, 05:14 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I would kill to have something that decayed into oxygen or plasma.

Or carbon. Maybe if we hope hard enough it can happen