Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
State Of The Goonion - Communication is key!
(05-14-2017, 07:44 PM)Wire Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 05:31 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:
(05-12-2017, 11:02 AM)Wire Wrote: We're looking at approaching more people for coder roles

A beaming sun

not you tho

......DAMN!
(05-12-2017, 11:02 AM)Wire Wrote: We're looking at approaching more people for coder roles

A beaming sun

not you tho
certainly not with that avatar
i think a test server for when big/important/new changes are going to be implemented would be helpful in providing feedback before it goes live

A beaming sun

not you tho

NegativeMan already expected an answer like that, especially after the first vote for it was shot down a year or so back
Your tears feed me.  Demonology 101
Possibly, JUST POSSIBLY, collaboration with other codebases? I know the coders want to keep Gooncode VERY secret, but collaboration with other developers to produce features for both their codebase and our codebase could help speed up development for not only Goon but SS13 as a whole.
(05-15-2017, 07:17 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Possibly, JUST POSSIBLY, collaboration with other codebases? I know the coders want to keep Gooncode VERY secret, but collaboration with other developers to produce features for both their codebase and our codebase could help speed up development for not only Goon but SS13 as a whole.

I'm pretty sure goon's code and other codebases are different enough to make this difficult, and I think goonstation's coders want to remain as closed-source as possible.
(05-15-2017, 07:17 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Possibly, JUST POSSIBLY, collaboration with other codebases? I know the coders want to keep Gooncode VERY secret, but collaboration with other developers to produce features for both their codebase and our codebase could help speed up development for not only Goon but SS13 as a whole.

We actually have reached out to other codebases as part of a sekret project, but since a small part of it would not be AGPLv3 they no longer wanted to work with us. At Least, that's my understanding.
I'd very much like to know the current status of The Solarium and Adventure Zones in general.

They are the most intriguing and cool parts of Goon for me and I'd hate for them to be abandoned.
(05-16-2017, 12:08 AM)grumpchkin Wrote: I'd very much like to know the current status of The Solarium and Adventure Zones in general.

They are the most intriguing and cool parts of Goon for me and I'd hate for them to be abandoned.

on a more serious note its frozen for a unknown time as much as i know cogwerks i heard he was working on 2 adventure zone maps but he has kinda abandoned them because of irl stuff and other stuff related to it is not being made because coders are working on other stuff irl or not
It's dead as a dodo.

There was two planned areas afaik:

- Carcosa; the city based on the King of Yellow; sprites which can found in the latest release, look at Gannets work, there's some spooky things there.
- The Wizard Tower. I may be completely wrong about this, but "the tower" was definetely one of those things I noted and "wizard" walls and sprites can be found, often used for areas that are spawned.
- Not related; but a swamp area that was long scrapped.

Note that these are observations from someone who doesn't play much SOL and gleems information like a leech from various places, including sol wiki.
Previous posters are correct, the Solarium puzzle development is on indefinite hiatus due to a variety of factors (mostly the relevant coders being too busy).
(05-13-2017, 04:29 AM)Sundance Wrote: As far as features go, would it not be best to kind of list what the community needs or wants? So we can actually spearhead the direction we want to take this?
I like this. There's probably going to be some disagreement over what needs to be prioritized, but knowing what people want, what people are working on, and the reasoning for both would help people understand each other more. 
I'm sure there's lots of new features or improvements to existing ones that coders would like to work on, but it's faster, easier, or more important to do something that's less likely to get people excited
(05-16-2017, 05:57 AM)Wire Wrote: Previous posters are correct, the Solarium puzzle development is on indefinite hiatus due to a variety of factors (mostly the relevant coders being too busy).

Aw, i wanted to have a excuse to read a entire 500 page sumerian mythology textbook. sad greater domestic space-bee

On a more serious note i hope the player count goes up because it is really feeling lonely on goon.
Hello folks! SpyGuy and I (mostly Spy) have worked hard to bring you something that you might not want, but tons of other people do: An option for /tg/ style hotkeys!

Throughout the years, we have received tons of complaints that learning our hotkeys is hard and not intuitive to those who have played on servers using /tg/ code first.

Hopefully, this option will enable players who previously have rejected Goonstation to come and join us in our crazy and chaotic yet smooth and colorful experience.

To enable it ingame, just visit our Character Setup screen and enable the option, it's right below "Use WASD mode". Note: You must do this before you spawn in.