Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Gunplay: How do you feel about it?
Friendly reminder that Paint Ball guns are in the works and when they made their debut on Goonstation if will be the greatest moment of goonstation history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SGwPNEQyWA

pew pew

you could reuse the fartcloud effect/code for all sort of small-scale chemical vapor puffs and recolor it, itll be great
(05-08-2017, 02:26 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: As I've said before, I feel like tasers could use a small buff to their range and projectile speed. 

What if instead of shooting the bolts they do they used the electric arc that powergloves do, without the burn damage
interesting idea, but visually the current electric arc effect looks way too powerful for a nonlethal stunning weapon. it would need a wimpier looking version made

mechanically i think it would be definitely worth experimenting with. what happens if you shoot past someone with an arc weapon? i dont have much experience with it. does it miss them entirely or does it produce a solid line of damaging/stunning arc between it and the target tile?

the wimpier looking bolt can also be applied to the powergloves for if the power supply is weak
Arcstun yes, but only so we can cross the streams.
My gripe with guns is the fact they're all single projectile, of same projectile speed, aim and shoot, done.

Cogs (RIP) wanted to remove the "stun and yer done" style of fights because guess what? It's fucking boring!

Whats even worse is that projectile code has been updated so that we can have this variance but nothing in actual firefights has changed to reflect this.

Riot Shotguns for example, are nigh useless. They have some crazy drop-off, that has barely any stun, you could unload a gun on someone, end up near killing them but doesn't actually stun them. They're stupid and I'm not sure why they were changed (incoming Ed)

Imagine the shotgun actually acted like a videogame shotgun, ala metal slug. Blasts in a wide arc, travels a very short distance, has a high recoil so you can't spam shooting.

Imagine how that would change actual firefights. That you can have different speed projectiles, different blast radius, different recoils so you can't spam click. Heck you could have some ol' style gun that needs to be cocked before firing. And that's just traditional guns, nevermind what sci-fi could offer. Firefights become far more tactical than what we have now, which is often whoever gets the first cheap shot in.

And before you say "b-b-ut sundance, tis' but a pipedream!". It's not. It's actually been done. Look at other servers.
oh. i have another small aesthetic suggestion, concerning how some bullet projectiles are sprited. theyd look a lot nicer if instead of being a little black dot, they were a bit stretched+blurry, you know? to show movement? kind of like how the laser blasts are stretched streaks of red.
(05-08-2017, 10:45 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 04:33 PM)Crazyabe Wrote: tranquilizer rifle: Good... Needs a Source of New ammo though.

using just the MD's tranq rifle and the armory (which is pretty easy due to everyone knowing packets now) you can get 16 tranq darts. one dart is a delayed, long, stun. along with slows and vision blur during/around the stuns. that's 16 people much easier to kill

Most people will either (A) Fire 3-6 into one person because they can't aim, or (B) Fire all of them into one person So they can Keep them permastunned.
limited ammunition supply is a common and acceptable balancing factor

but maybe d.o.c. or somebody could have 1 spare cartridge of darts hed be willing to part with for the right price
Tasers: Reduce the number of security equipment lockers and have security officers spawn with them to stop people filling their backpacks with them.

Phasers: Make them fire a direct beam like their namesake so we can go around being star trek nerds.
Implant lock tasers again and bring back phaser mods bam you got 90% of the issues people are having solved
I'm with Sundance and Poland spring on this.

The biggest issue is that firefights are incredibly dull and repetitive now. We need much more variety in terms of the actual mechanics.

Of course, that's in the long run. It might take a while to actually implement that, so a temporary measure is needed in the meantime.

Implant locks for security equipment, provided that the implants themselves are actually somewhat difficult to acquire, would help with the overuse of tasers, and adding phaser mods back in would provide some measure of mechanical variety.
(05-09-2017, 06:06 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Tasers: Reduce the number of security equipment lockers and have security officers spawn with them to stop people filling their backpacks with them.

This would solve almost all complaints raised about tasers, I.E too easy for those with access to burst in and stock up on a backpack full of ranged stuns.

I feel like phasers would still need to be buffed if mods were added, as I don't see mods as making them anything more than slightly less terrible.
(05-09-2017, 06:45 AM)poland spring Wrote: Implant lock tasers again and bring back phaser mods bam you got 90% of the issues people are having solved

could there still be some way to modify/jailbreak tasers to make them usable by the common man? sometimes even slowing down.complicating the arming up process can be enough of a change to have an impact
(05-09-2017, 12:46 PM)misto Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 06:45 AM)poland spring Wrote: Implant lock tasers again and bring back phaser mods bam you got 90% of the issues people are having solved

could there still be some way to modify/jailbreak tasers to make them usable by the common man? sometimes even slowing down.complicating the arming up process can be enough of a change to have an impact

If it's an implant lock then you can remove their implant and stick it in yourself.