Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Spy 2.0: X-treme Showdown Action!
A while ago I made a suggestion thread about replacing the old mindslave-mania spy with something more interesting, and I still think it was a good idea, if not fully developed. As you might imagine, I'm back once more to throw my ideas out with a new take on a potential gamemode.

The Premise:

Somewhere in the far reaches of space, some men and women in fancy suits meet in a dark room to discuss who among the list of candidates will become the latest member faction of the Syndicate.  The villains decide that the winner will be whichever organization can field an operative more effective than the rest. These operatives, invested with the greatest resources their supervisors can muster, are gathered to complete a single task: be the last one standing.

Mechanics:

A large amount of the crew is selected to play the antagonist for this mode, as it is necessary for progression. The agents begin their round faced with a choice: what category does the organization they work for fall in and, as a result of that, what sort of training and enhancements are they given? So far I've imagined three possible options: The medical research corporation, the shadowy monastery, and the cybernetic manufacturer. Along with choosing what sort of funny name is generated for their faction, these choices will allow the agent to become a freakish amalgamation of genetic engineering and alien hybridization, a skilled melee combatant of supernatural prowess, or a heavily armed tank as they follow the progression. What is the progression? It's simple, the more agents die, the more powerful the ones that remain become. Leading to more intense and destructive fights between the agents as the round progresses. To prevent agents from hiding out until everyone else dies, a death timer could be put in place, which ticks down when the agent is off the station z-level. At the 30 minute or some other time mark agents could be occasionally pinged with the locations of their rivals.

These guys sure sound scary, but in a thunderdome of supermen battling it out, you need to wonder what there is for the crew that hasn't been selected to do. An agent should be able to easily take on any usual crewman, and it sure would suck to get murdered by a dumb spy guy. Fortunately those who fall to the chaos will have a chance to return in the NT-SO squads. After the spies have reached Tier 2 or  the round has reached 20 minutes in, all ghosts  will be given the chance to join the squad, sorta like an event antag spawn, but with more slots. The squad is like the NT-SOs that spawn during a disaster round, but kitted a bit differently. Each member will be given an implant locked experimental laser gun, and the implant that grants access for the laser (possibly a microbomb? might be a bit too far). The squad is, of course, not actually an antagonist force, and is focused solely on the agents mucking about the station. Once the first squad is called new squads will continue to roll in at a rate accelerating based on the Tier of the agents. Once an agent achieves the final tier, the squads stop coming in normally and the shuttle is irrevocably called. If the shuttle was triggered by an agent's victory, it will contain the last squad of NT-SOs, equipped now with AK-744s.

Alternatively, if we want to get crazy with it, we can just cut out the NTs and have everyone spawn as an agent. The rate at which tiers advance would need tweaked to an actually proportional system if this were to happen.

The Archetypes:

Medical Research Corporation - Biological Terror:

"Donk Laboratories has released you from your cage for this very special assignment..."

Tier 1 (Base Tier):

Stinger: You've had the stinger of a space bee transplanted onto you, as an ability you can stab someone with it to inject them with histamine.
Proboscis: With this proboscis you can suck the blood out of people the same way a vampire would to healing and to fill a storage that maxes out at a single human's worth. Blood can only be gained from live humans this way.
Blood Expulsion: Creates a pool of blood and a slick of space lube on the floor beneath you, costs blood gathered by the proboscis, but has no cooldown. At full blood capacity 6 uses should be available.
Disease Resistance: All diseases are asymptomatic for you.
Thermal Resistance: As the mutation, but without any sort of glow.

Tier 2 (4 agents remaining):
Space Yeti's Heart: You can no longer go into cardiac arrest or suffer cardiac failure .
Enhanced Stinger: Your stinger now injects venom.
Enhanced Blood Expulsion: Using this ability is now doubly cost effective, for 12 uses per full blood storage.
Suction Cups: You can no longer be slipped.

Tier 3 (3 agents remaining):
At this tier, the agent will be given a choice in their progression.

CHEMICAL STINGS:
Chemical Storage: You have the ability to consume any item and store its reagents.
Stinger Toggle (Chemical): With this toggle you can decide whether your stingers will inject the default venom or draw from you chemical storage.
Multiple Stingers: You gain 3 charges of the stinger ability, each recharging individually.

BEAST MASTERY:
Pheromones: Hostile critters ignore you, and space bees will try to follow you around, protecting you as they would their parent.
Egg: You lay a space bee egg at the same cost as blood expulsion (1/12 of your storage capacity)
Stinger Toggle (Mutagen): With this toggle you can decide whether your stinger will inject venom or transform its victims into a random, mostly harmless critter. The mutagenic sting is longer charging than the venom sting.

Tier 4 (2 agents remaining):

CHEMICAL STINGS:
Implanted Blob Replicators: You can choose to slowly produce any chemical already in your chemical storage.
Stinger Launcher: You can fire your stingers at range.
Death Foam: Upon death, your chemical storage is foamed.

BEAST MASTERY:
Adrenaline Rage: When you would die, your body is fully healed and is given to an NPC AI. The body begins to quickly rot, and will die for good once it is fully skeletonized.
Shapeshift: You can transform into a wide variety of the playable creatures and back. I'd specify on this more but I'm not too keen on which creatures support player control.
Split: You expend a full blood storage to create an NPC with the hostile human AI.

Victory Tier (1 agent remaining):

CHEMICAL STINGS:
Superior Replicators: Instead of slowly refilling your chemical storage, whichever chemical you currently have chosen to replicate becomes your default.
Rapid Stinger Production: Stinger cooldown is vastly decreased.

BEAST MASTERY:
Uncontrollable Multiplication: Split cost is halved.
Queen: Egg cost is halved, and using it also creates a glob of royal jelly.

Shadowy Monastery - Fist of Pain:

"The Gho-Kuu League has summoned you from your hermitage..."

Tier 1 (Base Tier):
Silent Strike: You have the ability to toggle the sound on your punches.
Vast Resolve: You have 33 more stamina than normal.
Expanded Senses: You have darkvision, and are immune blindness of any cause. You are still immune to flashes and flashbangs when you are under a condition that would normally render you blind.
Grappling Expertise: You cannot fail to grab someone aggressively.
Powerful Defense: More likely to block incoming attacks with the disarm intent.
Quick Recovery: Flipping into someone off a chair or suplexing them does not stun you.
Acrobatic: Can flip over tables.

Piercing Fist: Your fists have the range and piercing capability of a spear.
Rending Chop: Devastating hits cause bleeding.
Hands of Steel: Disarm defense applies to ranged attacks.
Powerful Fist: Your fists deal double the actual and stamina damage of a normal punch.
Effortless Attacks: Attacking does not cost stamina for you.

At this tier, the agent will be given a choice in their progression.

PATH OF A THOUSAND PUNCHES:
Lightning Fist: Unarmed attacks can be made .5 seconds faster than normal.
Aspect of the Monkey: Can walk over and hide under tables.
King in a Land of Speed: Base speed by increased by 50%
Deft Hands: When your disarm intent is active and both of your hands are empty, your chance to block projectiles is guaranteed.

WAY OF THE FURIOUS FIST:
Baleful Fist: Your fists deal triple the actual and stamina damage of a normal punch.
Boundless Rage: Your screams no longer have a cooldown, are twice as loud, and are unnaturally deep.
Crushing Grip: Your grabs start aggressive.
Cleaving Chop: Devastating hits remove limbs.

Flurry of Fist: You thrash at people as a berserker would, but even more frequently, this does not stop upon death.
Swift Hand of Retribution: As an ability, you reflect any and all projectiles fired at you similar to a reflective membrane for 10 seconds.
Whirlwind of Justice: Your flip cooldown is halved, suplexes and chair flips WILL remove limbs. You learn the throw wrestling ability.

WAY OF THE FURIOUS FIST:
Burning Spirit: You gain heat resistance and are perpetually on fire. Your punches set people on fire.
Incandescent Fury: As an ability you expel the energy of your fiery soul outward, setting the surrounding area ablaze.
Fire Eternal: Upon death your corpse begins to emit plasma at a concerning rate, which is immediately ignited by the fact that you are on fire.

Speed Incarnate: You are constantly sprinting at no stamina cost.
Typhoon of Obliteration: There is no cooldown on flips or punches, the only limit is that of the game.

WAY OF THE FURIOUS FIST:
The Fist of Damnation: Your punches cluwne people. Cluwnes that are on fire. That's all that needs said.
Ascendant Soul: You learn the Macho Man's atomic piledriver ability.

Cybernetics Manufacturer - The Arsenal

"Jimbo's Kool Mechatronix has turned you into a weapon of mass destruction."
Tier 1 (Base Tier):
Augmented Vision: You eyes which are simultaneously polarized, night vision, prodoc, and laser without any tint on the screen.
Concealed Prosthetics: Your arms and legs appear fleshy, but actually count as cybernetics for the benefits of ripping out of cuffs.
Arm Cannon: One of your arms is replaced by a device that is effectively a revolver that slowly produces ammo for itself. There is surely some sort of science jargon to explain this. Quite conspicuous, this is what you signed up for.
Superior Eye Laser: Your eyes become visibly tech-y and evil looking. Your eye lasers fire in a burst.
Thermal Scanning: You can see people through walls, like old thermals.
Metallic Frame: You count as having the adamantium skeleton trait if you don't already have it.
At this tier, the agent will be given a choice in their progression as defined by the colors.

ANNIHILATOR:
Rapid-Fire Arm Cannon: The cannon's capacity is expanded to 30, and fires in 3 round bursts, effectively an AK-744.
Destructive Laser: Your eye lasers melt walls.

SENTINEL:
Nerve Regulators: You are immune to tasers and stun batons.
Magnetic Feet: You are always under the effects of magnetic shoes.

ANNIHILATOR: 
Frag Assembler: The arm cannon is given a new setting, which can be changed to like an energy gun. For 20 ammo, you can launch one of those nifty new frag grenades.
Expanded Cartridge: The arm cannon now has a capacity of 40.
Unstable Matter Reserve: Upon death, or if the arm cannon is severed, the cannon collapses into a gravitational anomaly.

SENTINEL:
Heavy Plating: All received damage is halved, speed is reduced by 25%.
Jackhammer Legs: As an ability you can strike the ground with great force, creating an effect similar to the shockwave spell, remember that? It was cool.
Ejection System: Upon death you are released from your body as a lawless ghost drone.

ANNIHILATOR:
Maximized Cartridge: The arm cannon now has a capacity of 60.
Rocket Assembler: The arm cannon is given yet another setting: rocket. It fires an RPG at the cost of 50 ammo.

SENTINEL:
Iridium Plating: All projectiles have a 50% chance of being resisted entirely.
Nuclear Charge: As an ability you can immediately trigger your ejection system and leave your body as a ticking nuclear charge identical in force to that on Hemera which will detonate in 1 minute.

So there it is! A cool collection of ridiculous shit. This took me a while to put together in a way that seemed somewhat presentable and it may seem unbalanced, but you need to start somewhere. Post your feedback here and if there's even the slightest chance of this being implemented in any fashion I would gladly try my hand at making any necessary sprites. I designed this to mostly re-use different effects and features to make it as feasible as possible to implement. I really like the core of this idea and hope it doesn't die away like last time.

Hold on, it turns out colors don't SHOW ON THIS FORUM, why is that an option? I need to group up the paths a different way.
This honestly sounds kinda great. I'm all for it.
In hindsight, I realized that the NT-SOs ought to have something other than a laser. Perhaps a revolver and stun baton would make a decent combo, or maybe a green chainsaw for fun? A kit that can't be so easily resisted. I neglected to mention, the NT-SOs would ideally be able to tell members of their squad with their own icon marker, like syndicates, but not so sinister.
I love everything in this post and would love to see it implemented.

P.S. I think colors actually do work, you just have to use the plaintext editor with bbcode tags rather than the fancy shmancy rich text editor
I made sprites for techy guy's techy bits. The DMI is here if I didn't use dropbox wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wr460ozhqjfpd...ndt4a?dl=0
I would love to see this implemented at some point, only issue is that it would probably take a shitton of work to implement.
Someone with more creativity than me come up with finishing moves for all the agent types.
(05-06-2017, 10:09 PM)Bologna Prime Wrote: I made sprites for techy guy's techy bits. The DMI is here if I didn't use dropbox wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wr460ozhqjfpd...ndt4a?dl=0

Quick tip: The forums let you directly attach files to posts, so there's no need for a middleman like dropbox for attaching DMI's.
(05-07-2017, 07:26 AM)HydroFloric Wrote: I would love to see this implemented at some point, only issue is that it would probably take a shitton of work to implement.

This is the reason most of the game mode ideas people make don't get implemented, probably
So a highlander style mode then? Don't suppose you could work katanas and beheading in there somewhere maybe?