Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Icky Wiki 2: Icklectric Bogaloo
September 2, 2018 Update: Succeeded for the most part by the Wiki Current Events page. 

Man, that pun was even less necessary than the previous iteration's.

The wiki needs still needs work. Well, every wiki needs work and polishing and what not, but the Goonstation wiki needs editors willing to devote their time towards the work.

What sort of things need work? Here's a list of them, roughly sorted by amount of research and effort needed. This is my no means a comprehensive or authorative list, but I think it's a good start.

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY
  • Grammar and Style Fixes: As suggested by Mr. Buttes. This one is pretty easy, and it's on the top of the list because you don't have to play Space Station 13 at all to know about good grammar and clear, concise prose. This doesn't quite require anything specific; grammar and style is a pretty broad topic. If you'll be going for these, I suggest scrolling through the job and tutorial pages.
  • Changelog Maintenance: Even easier than grammar and style fixes. This one is just copying and pasting changelog updates and formatting for the wiki.
AVERAGE CABBAGE
  • Guide to Genetics: Still missing some info on blood toxification.
  • Foods and Drinks: Supposedly, some of the drinks have actual effects besides "getting you drunk". Triple citrus, for example, may heal eye damage.
  • Being a Better Traitor: Space American Football Kit could use some tips on Being a Better Traitor.                                        
  • Changeling: Handspider, Legworm, and Eyespider needs some stats, namely their cooldowns and if they can be used while stunned.
  • Maintenance Info: The locations of  APCs, power wires, and air hookup vents(if applicable) of quite a number of rooms are missing. Obviously, someone should add them, seeing as some of them can be in some rather strange locations.
  • Spy Thief: The list of possible item bounties can always be expanded. Item offered, its locations, plus any notes on what sort of obstacles there might be in obtaining it, ways of manufacturing the item if applicable, etc.
BEATS ME BEET
  • Ore Processing: Lots of properties have been removed/are defunct, and I suspect many of the things under "So where do I get all the I need?" and beyond don't really apply any more as a consequence. The revisions should reflect these changes. See if the old applications of blacksmithery still apply (which is probably not).
Also, link to older thread for reference. And possibly the things I've missed.

Also also, I just realized this is pinned. Thank you, mysterious benefactor!
Is it really necessary to have a page for all rooms on all maps? Wouldn't it be easier just have one that works for all of them? I think only engineering requires such pages

I added all that genetics stuff you said and a bit more, so you can take that off the list.

Pathology does tell you how to make a cure, under the synth-o-matic. Also added the CDC
(05-06-2017, 09:51 AM)Maegor Wrote: Is it really necessary to have a page for all rooms on all maps? Wouldn't it be easier just have one that works for all of them? I think only engineering requires such pages

Why not just use one page and separate the different versions by using tabs like the /tg/station wiki does?
(05-06-2017, 11:34 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 09:51 AM)Maegor Wrote: Is it really necessary to have a page for all rooms on all maps? Wouldn't it be easier just have one that works for all of them? I think only engineering requires such pages

Why not just use one page and separate the different versions by using tabs like the /tg/station wiki does?

I was hoping we could do that, and that was part of the reason why I left the Cogmap1/Cogmap2 point open. However, it would appear that the Goonstation Wiki doesn't have the Tabs extension like Tgstation does, based on attempts to use Tabs in the sandbox.
(05-05-2017, 10:17 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: However, if someone could install the Tabs extension

BAM, DONE!

Edit: Look at the Arrivals page, you can see what I'm doing. I'm going to try and convert the whole wiki into that. Help would be appreciated.
(05-07-2017, 10:00 AM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 10:17 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: However, if someone could install the Tabs extension

BAM, DONE!

Edit: Look at the Arrivals page, you can see what I'm doing. I'm going to try and convert the whole wiki into that. Help would be appreciated.

I love you, zewaka.
Hey, is there a reason we're adding this template to all the maps at the bottom?

Code:
{{Locations}}
(05-07-2017, 12:07 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Hey, is there a reason we're adding this template to all the maps at the bottom?

Code:
{{Locations}}

Going to make a by department navigator after
(05-07-2017, 12:16 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 12:07 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Hey, is there a reason we're adding this template to all the maps at the bottom?

Code:
{{Locations}}

Going to make a by department navigator after

I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure because seeing redlinks hurts my soul.

Edit: Why on earth won't the thumbnails load for the destiny location images, aaaaa
File Uploading is back and operating. Feast your eyes upon one of the freshly uploaded pics, courtesy of Avack:

[Image: Prisonloaf_EinsteinRosen.gif]
The Supplementary Videos at the bottom of each job page don't show up anymore, they just show up as bits like "{{#widget:YouTube|id=mk2E1CoGe98}}" instead.
also if i may make a request, can we stop with the casual "everyone sucks and is dumb just take what you want and never talk to another person" stuff. I think it gets new players off on a really shitty foot and contributes to the general selfish legacy our server has.
All non discontinued job videos are fixed
Six months later....

Lemon is unchanged. But of course it is, the changelog is always unfinished and grammar fixes are always needed.

Cabbage has made good progress. Though some pages are still on the list, they need relatively minor things now.

Beets is still untouched. Not surprised. Lots of people don't want to to touch pathology and materials, and I really don't want to either.Is there a feedback loop going on? Because neither are well-documented (at least until recently), few want to touch them, and because few want to touch them, few (also until recently) well-document them....

Six months. Is it time for a new page? These days, I just use my own page to keep track of what I want/need to do.
Ore processing has two almost identical pages for cog1 and 2