Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
is lljk dead
(05-05-2017, 08:18 AM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 07:12 AM)Sundance Wrote: None of these community orientated things matter unless we have some admin on board.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also probably less than 1% of ideas from the forum get used tbh with how many there are

This wasnt a quip at the administration, I apologize if it was seen that way.

My basic intent behind it was that people could do all these wonderful things and have these grandiose ideas but if the administration isnt behind it, then it's a waste of effort.

Its akin to blinging out a car, but lacking the keys.

Also, map rotation is probably the better solution to this whole cog 1 vs cog 2 dispute. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Hey Arborinus here, time to make one of my barely-coherent-always-ignored posts:

The biggest problem, to me, is the lack of admin involvement.

In the game, I feel like the administration is scared to do anything fun. I think that's a problem with the current community as much as the admins. Any amount of action from an admin MUST be in a set-aside "admin fun round", antag tokens must shower from the sky, and if anything is not completely perfect deadchat will moan and moan. One would think the introduction of antag tokens would have made the admins feel like they have more freedom to have fun. An incident that really sticks out in my head is when Daeren had a basketball wizard round. There was some confusion about getting the spells from the radio thing, but after that everyone was having a blast. But one player died and complained that it was an admin fun round, and Daeren left thinking he was bad at having admin fun - from one person.

Now I know not all admins want to do this, some don't have the powers or whatever, but I can't remember the last time I saw the pool filled with monsters and the ladder removed. It doesn't have to be a perfectly constructed intricate thing, just put a "button that will kill you if you press it" somewhere sometimes. Don't worry about the one person that whines, because the silent majority are busy having fun. The best memories I have of this game were because of some sort of admin involvement in the game.

In the community, the forums are almost completely ignored. People spend way too much time making way too long posts like this one only for nothing to come of it. Some admins browse sometimes but that's usually a coder looking at a bug report or because someone linked a particular thread in the IRC. I don't mean to jab at anyone, but look at the posts in this thread. I don't think you should take this farting game simulator forums completely seriously but those one-line quips are the only posts we ever see from most of the admins.

Changes to the game are added quietly usually without community input which coders have every right to do, but I would definitely love to see some sort of "State of the Goonion" thread or admin-only subforum where the admins actually post and the community actually hears what's going on lately. 

You are likely to hear more from admins in the IRC, but it's really quiet most of the day. The times when the topic is SS13 it's usually just reminiscing about "the good ol' days" and how people don't have time or motivation to play.

I think a "Jump Day" set aside once a month or week where everyone joins and tries to take up a particular department (One day security, one day Quartermaster, etc.) would help. But we've seen how that sort of thing works out in the long run with Day of Destiny and Ass Day.

A lot of effort was made to make this silly little web game into something more, but that's left a lot of slack that needs to be picked up.
(05-05-2017, 06:51 AM)Hokie Wrote: Goonstation? More like: Drama Queen Station

If anything, I think this thread is revealing how much the players as a whole don't know what they want

This has always been a niche game. The people that do find out about it probably find out about it through niche interests or websites like 4chan.

The majority of players that try it out will probably be turned off by it's difficult ui and learning curve.

That leaves a very small pool of returning players, divided up among a few servers. Of that number, considering what websites they probably used to find this game, a good deal will not meet the community standards of Goon.

That won't change no matter how much the game itself is tweaked
Clearly, what we need to do is somehow develop a highly popular meme that directs people directly back to goonstation.
(05-05-2017, 10:40 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Clearly, what we need to do is somehow develop a highly popular meme that directs people directly back to goonstation.
SS13: Meme Division
My biggest issue with Stamina is that it turned combat into a chem infused stun fest. I think it's over all a good change but completely think it's the reason why hardly anyone tries to fight back now. One hit Ko deaths are gone but replaced with one hit stuns that often lead to death. Nothing really changed if you think about it people learn to do the same things they've been doing with new changes. They always find workarounds.

Also I've been noticing a player drop since 2015 and I started saying in the IRC back then that I believed one of the big reasons we were losing players was because we hardly get new content or gamemodes. Unless we get new coders who want to do that or the current coders decide to work on adding and improving things instead of nerfing and removing things. It won't change. It's been pretty hard watching Goonstation decline and seeing no one try and stop it.

Also not to be rude and I'm sorry in advance if it is rude but I need to say this, but admins/coders today come off like they always dismiss our viewpoints or just flat out don't listen.
I feel a lot of the issues stem from one core concept. A lack of communication between staff members and players.

Something as simple as a "this is what were working on" post or a more detailed development roadmap goes a long way to allowing the players to feel more involved and forming an actual community that keeps people coming back while generating anticipation of cool new things.

Scheduled events can also draw in numerous players, people like to be a part of something

That aside, I also feel that we lose a lot of players via early round deaths. Giving dead people more things to do will go a long way towards keeping them online until the next round starts. Ghost drones were a great addition, but we should try to expand upon it with other low round impact things (personal ai I still think could be quite fun, even as a purely textual role with no other abilities - new players could certainly benefit from an experienced player that they can keep in their pocket. Hivemind seems to work pretty well for lings afterall)
(05-05-2017, 10:03 AM)Arborinus Wrote: -Snip -Snip Admin related gimmicks and such

Was just about to type about this but you really hit the nail on the head. I feel like admin rounds were the frosting on the cake for me in this game. When the average rounds of a traitor just going around and choking people to death over and over kept happening, these were the rounds that truly stood out and broke the monotony. I don't think I would be playing this game today if not for my second round filled with Macho Men and rainbow melons everywhere.

Really these are the rounds I think stick around in my memories the most. The most recent was when there was horrible clown virus on station brought by clown spiders. I think the issue of admins being afraid players won't like their gimmicks comes from certain times where admins just click every single button at their disposal creating a laggy mess nobody can really enjoy instead of thinking of some sort of neat gimmick, causing people to not trust the admins with that sort of thing. But to add onto this I feel like no matter how good the gimmick is and how cool it is there is always gonna be that ONE person who is gonna complain or whatever, imo they can fuck off and remember that they're on goonstation and death can come at any time and them not being able to do whatever they were gonna do is never guaranteed.

At this point, I think I'm getting a bit off topic idk. But basically, there just needs to be less focus on trying to fix things that don't need fixing. And stop trying to turn goon into like a bay knockoff or whatever. And really just needs some more spicing up by admins and players alike.
I can agree that it feels like we've sort of drifted away from the zany atmosphere that originally made goonstation so lovable for all of us.
(05-05-2017, 12:25 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I can agree that it feels like we've sort of drifted away from the zany atmosphere that originally made goonstation so lovable for all of us.

I feel the same way.
(05-05-2017, 11:27 AM)Sov Wrote: I feel a lot of the issues stem from one core concept. A lack of communication between staff members and players.

Something as simple as a "this is what were working on" post or a more detailed development roadmap goes a long way to allowing the players to feel more involved and forming an actual community that keeps people coming back while generating anticipation of cool new things.

Scheduled events can also draw in numerous players, people like to be a part of something

That aside, I also feel that we lose a lot of players via early round deaths. Giving dead people more things to do will go a long way towards keeping them online until the next round starts. Ghost drones were a great addition, but we should try to expand upon it with other low round impact things (personal ai I still think could be quite fun, even as a purely textual role with no other abilities - new players could certainly benefit from an experienced player that they can keep in their pocket. Hivemind seems to work pretty well for lings afterall)
Yeah, Adding stuff for ghosts to do would be great,
(05-05-2017, 11:27 AM)Sov Wrote: Something as simple as a "this is what were working on" post or a more detailed development roadmap goes a long way to allowing the players to feel more involved and forming an actual community that keeps people coming back while generating anticipation of cool new things.

see, the problem with that is that it's making promises, and promises can't always be kept because SOMETHING will pop up and delay it and people will get excited and heartbroken over nothing
(05-05-2017, 04:45 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 11:27 AM)Sov Wrote: Something as simple as a "this is what were working on" post or a more detailed development roadmap goes a long way to allowing the players to feel more involved and forming an actual community that keeps people coming back while generating anticipation of cool new things.

see, the problem with that is that it's making promises, and promises can't always be kept because SOMETHING will pop up and delay it and people will get excited and heartbroken over nothing

id rather hear that something is in process/has been delayed rather than.............nothing at all
(05-05-2017, 04:48 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 04:45 PM)zewaka Wrote:

id rather hear that something is in process/has been delayed rather than.............nothing at all

Yeah, same here.

The "don't get people excited" mentality strongly reminds me of Valve's TF2 PR team. In other words, it's bad.