Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Summer is coming
So Minecraft is why Space Station 13 exists. Good to know.
I just discovered it while looking around on youtube and discovered Plumphelmetpunks SS13 videos on Donut 2.
I discovered Space Station 13 when I was on Knowyourmeme and found this image. I checked out the page for it and sorta just progressed from there.
I discovered SS13 way back in the day because of Plumphelmetpunk's Donut2 videos, and I discovered him through his Dwarf Fortress videos. I don't remember how I found DF, so it ends there. (Some vague memories of like, a youtuber called Jefmajor? and then after I finished Jef's videos I found Punk.)
Mine's pretty simple. I found SS13 because one of my friends who visits /tg/ often shared a few posts about it. I'm pretty sure I also stumbled upon it from a good ol' Wiki Walk through TV Tropes some time before, but that's pretty fuzzy.

Getting slightly back on topic, I hope all these new users bring a influx of new active wiki editors too.
I found this game when my best friend showed me goonstation out of the blue when I hung out with him one day. He had to talk me into giving this game a chance for about week before I craved and started playing. Sure am glad I did.
I discovered it when a friend showed me the game barotrauma ss13 was mentioned on the website so I looked into it and it kept going from there.

Also this thread is becoming a how I found d ss13 thread.
because we're all wondering how the hell people actually find this obscure nerd game to begin with.

I mean, it's summer, but summer doesn't actually mean anything, per se. It just means there's more people free to roll the dice of chance and potentially stumble upon our tiny world. So that leads to the thought of, " how do people actually find this game?"

Granted, we could, like, try advertising campaigns. That'd probably go over poorly but it's something.
How about we all put in a dollar and get a 1 millisecond SS13 ad in the Superbowl?
(04-25-2017, 06:09 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: How about we all put in a dollar and get a 1 millisecond SS13 ad in the Superbowl?

1 millisecond costs about $167.67
How about a quarter of a millisecond that's like $40
I'm fine with that. Those threads are interesting and contain good information.

(04-25-2017, 03:11 PM)Mageziya Wrote: -

OnefJef was connected to plump through the voltron army forums and DF letsplays. The DF-Letsplay community was a good bit smaller at the time, so searching for one often brought up the other. Jef also pushed Plump's SS13 videos (ovary at the time), and played a few games himself. How this old brain remembers shit like that, no one knows.

-

In short: My computer at the time had a hard time rendering a 3-poly potato, so I needed low-fi games. Searching for letsplayers of low-fi games is how I found DF, which lead to searching DF letsplays, which lead to plump, which lead to SS13. Thanks for being less than a 3-poly potato, SS13!

Ah! This reminds me. I never did watch the rest of grimith and j2's kayfabe wrasslin' simulation. That was hilarious. Thanks goonstation forums.
I think it was Razage's LP on SA that inspired me to take the plunge, though being on SA for a while meant that I'd already picked up the general idea through cultural osmosis. I know there were quite a few people who ended up here cause of that one, though I can't remember all of them. Grayshift was one of them, I believe.
I know I found the TV Tropes article for SS13 before I started playing, but I have no idea how I found the article.
I forgot how I became aware of SS13 but it always struck me as a gross game with blood and vomit and urine and shit in every tile in every round. One time I almost signed up to SA just to get an idea of what SS13 was actually really like (which is why my ckey is from like 2012 or something like that), then years later after reading some stuff in the SA griefing thread, game bugs thread and just the plain old game thread itself, I got antsy after reading so many great stories that I took the plunge in 2015.

now im here on and off forever until this dumb spaceman farty sim dies i guess