Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Summer is coming
Met a stranger at a party in Maine and he told me of a time, now only spoken of in fables, where a person could shove poop into the cryo tubes and kill people. I knew this was the place for me.
im going to add to this that my summer game experience has been horrible that's it but because there will be more people on goonstation im not saying its bad more people playing on goon is a good thing more permanent players on goon is also a good thing and if there are griefers the admins are doing a good job keeping them away.

also i found ss13 through barotrauma when it first came out i read that its inspired by ss13 and i looked up ss13 and found the ss13 page jumped on goon and became a nuke op sarin gassed a monkey and left the rest is me bumbing about on other servers.
I was looking for a space mod for Minecraft. I found MineStation 13 or something like that, a dead mod that was about making SS13 in minecraft. I looked up SS13 and ended here.
My first start with SS13 actually happened years ago when a buddy of mine told me to download BYOND and play this virus-looking game that I couldn't wrap my dumb head around. I think I spawned as an assistant, wrestled the controls into leaving the shuttle, and then lagged my way down a hallway until I got tired of not knowing how to do anything and ditched my buddy.

The only way I remember this is that my account is super old. No idea if I played in this community, if there are any records of me connecting to any of the old servers that would be fantastic, but that's beside the point.

Fast forward to about a year ago, I was watching Beaglerush bully some aliens when he said something about robusting a sectoid with a fire extinguisher. Huh. The concept was funny, and at some point I found a let's play by Yorp. Watched those, found it the bee's knees, and decided to join this community. Fun.
#pn wouldn't shut up about this game and how they would fuck around as atmos techs and get yelled at, or hack the mulebot to run people over

all in all one of the worst leads i've followed in my life
I think I found my way here reading stories about it on chan sites back when I was young enough to go to those.

The stories tend to really emphasis how wacky and free for all the game can be, so that's what I was expecting when I came in knowing nothing else.

I remember being a cultist on one of my first rounds and another cultist tried to role-play talking about our religion together and they got pissed when I was just really confused about what the hell they were going off about
a friend talked to me about it and it made exactly zero sense and I had no games at the time so I got it. (he doesn't play much anymore so now i am more robust)
I watched PlumpHelmetPunk's Videos in 2014 about, got addicted and started playing myself, I play both Goon and TG Codebase, although I prefer goon.
I heard about SS13 while looking for Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress knockoffs when I was younger.

My first round I joined Baystation and shocked myself to death while hacking a door, like five minutes into my play time.  I promptly quit for several months and come back, only to die to a hull breach almost instantly and quit for several more months (Baystation again, I think).  Some time passes and I eventually try Goonstation and this time I end up sticking around.
I was one of PlumpHelmetPunk's lot! I think I found him through his Dwarf Fortress videos, maybe? Then I saw all these videos of this space game and played for a little while back in 2013. Didn't really get into it, but got some good enough memories that when he started playing spaceman game again I felt the urge to play. Started playing again last August and haven't looked back since. I still stick with Goon! Apart from a few rounds on FTL13, but that hardly counts.
An old forum I used to post on had an SS13 thread. I looked at it once but didn't feel like bothering with downloading Byond and figuring out what codebase I wanted to play on, so I forgot about it.

Then a couple years later I was bored and looked it up again. I decided to give it a try and went with Goon because it's low-RP and has rules about bigoted language. My first round I got murdered by Mr. Muggles.
My second round I also got murdered by Mr. Muggles. My third round I avoided Muggles and instead got murdered by a different monkey. Honestly, my first twenty rounds or so were just dedicated to me dying in new and terrible fashions, usually by picking fights with monkeys.

(There was also a period where I knew AI laws could be changed but didn't know it had to be done with modules in the upload; I thought you just said 'ai, new law, ____' over the intercom, so i did that a few times. I didn't get made fun of nearly enough for that.)

Now it's been over a year and a half, and I die to monkeys much less frequently.
Giving monkeys the lich/agent AI was one of the best things ever.
(04-27-2017, 09:27 AM)CounterfeitFaker Wrote: (There was also a period where I knew AI laws could be changed but didn't know it had to be done with modules in the upload; I thought you just said 'ai, new law, ____' over the intercom, so i did that a few times. I didn't get made fun of nearly enough for that.)

That would technically work under law 2. Any command would have to be followed out, so a long term command would effectively be a new law unless it conflicted with law 1 or someone with a higher rank made a contradicting order
I saw this linked on tv-tropes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA and got interested. But the whole BYOND crap spooked me.
Then I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAHBexJxrE and played a few rounds.
I was looking for a sever where I didn't get ganked whithin a minute, so I could actually learn to move and open toolboxes. In that process I got sucked into some mech-comp horror, and I've been on Goonstation ever since.
(04-28-2017, 11:24 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: I saw this linked on tv-tropes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA and got interested. But the whole BYOND crap spooked me.
Then I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAHBexJxrE and played a few rounds.
I was looking for a sever where I didn't get ganked whithin a minute, so I could actually learn to move and open toolboxes. In that process I got sucked into some mech-comp horror, and I've been on Goonstation ever since.

in my first round i teamed up with a mime and a clown we stole the entire armory and made a new nation in matinace good times