Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stronger AI [Synthetic]
I actually think that would be legitimately cool as fuck if a telescience explorer could find AI modules to shove into the AI that give them new, weird powers. Like finding something in Hemera or the Void that gives the AI some sort of object teleporting ability.

As usual, I agree with everything Frank_Stein says :V
Big Brother AIs that can see what's happening much better, powerhouses that run around helping the crew with menial labor and breaches, and so on
And all of these mean that if the AI is subverted and has these same abilities, that makes them a unique threat with their own capabilities to assist the traitor or even attack you directly.

I want AI to feel meaningful, both to help and to harm. Not just a role to be consistently abused with 'lol here's a shut up law' and 'lol here's a kill yourself law' and 'lol the AI got some power and isn't actually subverted better killswitch him doohoohoohoohoo!!'.

And remember: Just because a space man CAN beat someone to death for no reason, doesn't mean he should, and he's limited by the rules. So it goes for AIs: just because an AI could shock you, or trigger the sprinkler systems or have a buttbot fart on you, doesn't mean he should without good reason, and doesn't mean that an AI player given actual power will immediately abuse it (not even against traitors, if they are following the rules and default lawset!!). "Turbonerds" has historically not been a good defense against ideas being implemented.
(04-24-2017, 03:28 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I actually think that would be legitimately cool as fuck if a telescience explorer could find AI modules to shove into the AI that give them new, weird powers. Like finding something in Hemera or the Void that gives the AI some sort of object teleporting ability.

Big Brother AIs that can see what's happening much better, powerhouses that run around helping the crew with menial labor and breaches, and so on
And all of these mean that if the AI is subverted and has these same abilities, that makes them a unique threat with their own capabilities to assist the traitor or even attack you directly.

I want AI to feel meaningful, both to help and to harm. Not just a role to be consistently abused with 'lol here's a shut up law' and 'lol here's a kill yourself law' and 'lol the AI got some power and isn't actually subverted better killswitch him doohoohoohoohoo!!'.

And remember: Just because a space man CAN beat someone to death for no reason, doesn't mean he should, and he's limited by the rules. So it goes for AIs: just because an AI could shock you, or trigger the sprinkler systems or have a buttbot fart on you, doesn't mean he should without good reason, and doesn't mean that an AI player given actual power will immediately abuse it (not even against traitors, if they are following the rules and default lawset!!). "Turbonerds" has historically not been a good defense against ideas being implemented.

object teleporting is telescience. it'd be neat if the little ai shells could act as gps though, so ai doesn't need the help of puny humans. But yeah I agree with everything you said
(04-24-2017, 03:45 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: object teleporting is telescience. it'd be neat if the little ai shells could act as gps though, so ai doesn't need the help of puny humans. But yeah I agree with everything you said

If the AI gets a chassis you can use the GPS that comes with the mining module. What would be incredible is if the AI had an ability that let you, in game, select a floor tile and be told what its GPS coordinates are while in camera view mode. It is possible using tools to figure out GPS location using the map available online, but it can be rough.

If tile GPS coords were available more easily in game for AI that would be pretty big.
Have the teleporter module give the AI Mainframe an onboard GPS and a beacon they can place that can be located by GPS units in their menu, so that the AI can see coords if it has that module.
(04-24-2017, 03:28 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I actually think that would be legitimately cool as fuck if a telescience explorer could find AI modules to shove into the AI that give them new, weird powers. Like finding something in Hemera or the Void that gives the AI some sort of object teleporting ability.

Unfortunately I don't think any buff to the AI will eliminate the root of this problem, which is that the rest of the playerbase actively hates the AI being anything more than a glorified doorbell and will do absolutely anything in their power to keep it from rising above its station. The reaction to absolutely anything silicon-related getting a buff by most longtime players is 'fuck, I guess I'll just make sure to killswitch the AI every time I can' (and I'd go look up some quotes to back this up if I wasn't so tired at the moment). Mentioning the fact that a staff assistant was shotgunning everyone in the bar generally just gets me 'fuck off supercop' from everyone up to and including the guy currently being shot at. I've completely given up on not opening doors for people because the second I say 'no I don't think you really need armory access Assistant McAsshat', I have to explain the intricacies of Law 2 for the next ten minutes while a graytide breaks into the upload chamber ready to seek vengeance for their mildly inconvenienced comrade.

It's no wonder the AI is absent or braindead for 90% of rounds.
Make the killswitch just lock out the silicon's controls, making them effectively dead without actually killing them. This is because a rogue AI, unlike a real antag, can be fixed very easily. Just add in a way to get more upload boards and the crew runs out of (reasonable) reasons to execute the AI.

Also escape pods for silicon brains. When they're about to die, they can choose to eject their brain to avoid it being destroyed forever. Cus getting totalled for good by a vindictive antagonist with a suicide law kinda sucks.
(04-25-2017, 12:48 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Also escape pods for silicon brains. When they're about to die, they can choose to eject their brain to avoid it being destroyed forever. Cus getting totalled for good by a vindictive antagonist with a suicide law kinda sucks.

That would kill the whole point of a suicide law
Instead of destroying a cyborg's head when it breaks, make it fly off like a thrown object.
If AI can make holograms I propose that the hologram projector be hackable so that people can do stuff like make AI spawn wendigo and meatcube holograms. Alternatively make it so that the holograms become solid only when the projector is hacked. Ofc borgs might hack it so maybe it could require human intervention like changing the AI laws.

I just want AI to be encouraged to pull scooby doo shenanigans, even if that's a stupid suggestion. For instance faking syndicate attacks.
(04-25-2017, 02:12 PM)Maegor Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 12:48 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Also escape pods for silicon brains. When they're about to die, they can choose to eject their brain to avoid it being destroyed forever. Cus getting totalled for good by a vindictive antagonist with a suicide law kinda sucks.

That would kill the whole point of a suicide law

As a human, antagonists have to put in some effort to remove you from the round. Gib you, bomb the cloner, that sort of thing. For silicons, the effort rarely needs to extend past "this law overrides all other laws. kill yourself right now" to do that. Doesn't seem fair to end their round with so little effort.

Course, they could just tell all the borgs to report to the crusher. Still, it's a bit more creative than a suicide law.
(04-25-2017, 04:22 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: If AI can make holograms I propose that the hologram projector be hackable so that people can do stuff like make AI spawn wendigo and meatcube holograms. Alternatively make it so that the holograms become solid only when the projector is hacked. Ofc borgs might hack it so maybe it could require human intervention like changing the AI laws.

I just want AI to be encouraged to pull scooby doo shenanigans, even if that's a stupid suggestion. For instance faking syndicate attacks.

I imagined it sorta like the chameleon projector, in thst first you capture an image and then generate the hologram of the captured item, person, or critter

I'm working on creating a list of tiered abilities and branches, so upgrading your holograms could include having a list of things captured as well as other things.

Scooby Doo shit is exactly how I figure this will go down
(04-25-2017, 09:02 AM)Roomba Wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think any buff to the AI will eliminate the root of this problem, which is that the rest of the playerbase actively hates the AI being anything more than a glorified doorbell and will do absolutely anything in their power to keep it from rising above its station. The reaction to absolutely anything silicon-related getting a buff by most longtime players is 'fuck, I guess I'll just make sure to killswitch the AI every time I can' (and I'd go look up some quotes to back this up if I wasn't so tired at the moment). Mentioning the fact that a staff assistant was shotgunning everyone in the bar generally just gets me 'fuck off supercop' from everyone up to and including the guy currently being shot at. I've completely given up on not opening doors for people because the second I say 'no I don't think you really need armory access Assistant McAsshat', I have to explain the intricacies of Law 2 for the next ten minutes while a graytide breaks into the upload chamber ready to seek vengeance for their mildly inconvenienced comrade.

It's no wonder the AI is absent or braindead for 90% of rounds.

I mean, I do distinctly remember a thread about this having ed_venture say pretty much those exact things, 'I guess I'll killswitch the AI every round'. Please don't shit on the AI. They're another player just like you; they deserve to have at least a little bit of fun.