Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do I make my own ss13 server with a forum?
(04-19-2017, 08:15 PM)medsal15 Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 07:50 PM)Darkchis Wrote: god bless your soul
(04-20-2017, 04:43 AM)Sam Eagle Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 05:31 AM)69andahalf Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 05:37 AM)Mageziya Wrote:
You might be able to get away with using some kind of a free proboards forum thing, or just making everyone communicate through one big open googledoc.
Hey, TG station has a guide on how to set up a server with their codebase here: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Downloading...ource_code

If you wanted to host a goon sever, just use the source code from the last public release here: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016

You can host a private server on your computer for free. I'd certainly recommend playing around on a private server, it's an interesting sand-box experience that you indicated you liked.
the forum one can be done by just using discord its free to make a channel right?
Alright, first of all, you need to decide if you are willing to invest the time and effort it would take to host a server, server hosting requires a lot of work and complicated shit, you need to have:

- A basic understanding of networking, routing, and iptables/ufw
- A basic understanding of byond coding.
- Mysql experience
- Unix experience
- Atleast 3 months in a Headmin/Server Leadership position
- And a actual plan for the server

Alright, have all of that, good luck getting players with all the ss13 servers out there, you need to provide new content that is not just random codebases blended together and slapped with a nice coat of paint, look at ftl, hell, look at fallout 13, if you just bring a basic tg experience. you will never get any players other then the players who get banned from tg, because why would those players not just play on tg?

You have all of that, ok then down to the nitty gritty, you need to decide between dedicated server hosting, a vps, and home hosting, home hosting requires more effort then a dedicated but pays off in the long run, however it requires fast internet, You are gonna want atleast 30Megabytes up and 30Megabytes down. if you have less then that and can't afford the upgrade, a vps is your best bet, but if you have that and you want to host from home, you are gonna need a good box. byond is a single core based application so really you can get by with a good i7, however if you plan on hosting all needed services for a good ss13 server from home you should look into a xeon. By needed services i mean A LAMP(Linux, Apache, Mysql, and PHP) Stack, a dream daemon server, a basic irc bot for forwarding admin commands, a markov chain bot(Yes this is 100 percent required without this your server will die), and basic telemetry and server control software.

Now, you can either buy a server or build one, if you have computing experience i suggest building one, a good working server will cost you about 900-3000 dollars if you build it and 4700-5000 plus change if you buy one, if you go the building route i suggest a Xeon E3-1280 v6(You can find one of these for ~500 dollars if you look around) a ASRock C236 motherboard, Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) ram, WD Blue 2TB Desktop hard drive, EVGA GeForce GT 730 1GB graphics card(Not gonna be doing anything requiring graphics calculations, a case and cpu cooler of your choice, and debian linux server for the os, alright, Get a ups and a lan cable, connect up the computer, make sure everything works and if you have all that up and running time for software setup.

Get yourself a 1 G usb stick,dd this image onto it http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7....etinst.iso , boot from it, go through the regular setup but when you reach the package selection screen select standard system utilities and SSH, then finish setup, reboot the computer and make sure everything is in order, ssh into the system from your main computer and install all the basic software you need, for example editors(apt-get -y install vim-nox nano), LAMP(apt-get -y install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 apache2-doc php5 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5) and byond(wget http://www.byond.com/download/build/511/..._linux.zip -o byond.zip && unzip byond.zip && cd byond && # make install), if you have all of these the next things you should do is setup port forwarding on your router https://portforward.com/router.htm if you need help with that , setup ufw/iptables/another firewall https://www.howtogeek.com/177621/the-beg...-firewall/, install mybb https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/, setup basic server scripts for such things as reboots and code updates, setup an automatic compilation and testmerge system, and other stuff such as that, if you got this far, i wish you the best of luck.

i am sorry for my run on sentences and other grammatical SNAFUs.

EDIT:Considering some of your posts on this forum i assume you are probably under 18 and you seem like a shitler, i would recommend maturing a bit before you start hosting a ss13 server as it requires a certain kind of person.

Also,
(04-20-2017, 05:45 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 05:37 AM)Mageziya Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 04:43 AM)Sam Eagle Wrote:
I mean you don't need some of that stuff, all you really need is: a computer that can run byond, the ability to forward your ports, and a copy of SS13's code.  You don't need to put up a server 24/7 on some linux box, you can just host for a little bit at a time from a windows PC.

HOW TO HOST (SIMPLE STYLE):
  1. Get a copy of a server's code.  Here is the code for Goonstation's last release, from March 2016.  You can click the green Clone or Download button on the right side of that page, and then Download ZIP, or if you know how to use git, do that.  I can barely use git myself so I won't be explaining the process.

2. Compile the server.  Unzip your chosen code somewhere or navigate to where git downloaded it.  Open the .DME file (in goonstation's case this is goonstation.dme).  It should load up in Dream Maker (if not, use Open With to make sure it does open with DM).  Once Dream Maker loads up (it might take a couple minutes), go to Build -> Compile, seen here:
    [Image: buljbr]
    Or hit CTRL+K.
    It will take a few minutes to finish compiling.  Once it does, if no errors have occurred, you're ready for the next step.  A successful compile should look somewhat like this (by default the server compiles with different maps):
    [Image: cfzayn]
    If errors HAVE occurred, please post them in here or join #imcoder on irc.synirc.net and I will try to help resolve them.

3. Load Dream Daemon.  You can open it through the BYOND Pager by going to the gear wheel icon in the upper right corner, or by hitting CTRL+D.  This is what Dream Daemon looks like:
    [Image: kxrktp]
    First you will want to hit the ... button next to the File: box at the bottom.  Navigate to where your server code is (the folder with the .DME) and select the .DMB (in goonstation's case this is goonstation.dmb).  If you don't have a .DMB file, go back and try step 2 again.  Security, Visibility, and webclient settings can be set up however you feel like.  (Set visibility to Public if you would like your server to appear on the BYOND Hub).

4. Select a port and forward it.  In Dream Daemon, enter a number for the port (0 makes it random each time the server is started, we don't want that unless you feel like messing with the port forwarding each time (you probably don't)).  It should be something in the 1000+ range, for example 8085.  You will then need to forward your chosen port to your computer, through your router's admin settings.  As this is different for every router and network setup, please consult https://portforward.com/ for instructions on how to do so for your router.

5. Start the server.  The GO button next to the Visibility settings box should have turned green once you loaded the .DMB and if you click on it now, the server will start up.  After a minute or so (the window may appear frozen, but it isn't) the window should change to look like this:
    [Image: lkdbri]
    After a minute, the window should update to tell you if the server's port is accessible to outside connections.  If it says "BYOND hub reports port 8085 cannot be reached by players." you will need to go back to the port forwarding step and try again.  Otherwise -

6. You are now all set to play!  Click the yellow arrow sign to join the game through DD, and the red stop sign to shut the server down when you're done.  Click on the byond://[IP]:[port] text to copy the link to the server into your clipboard.  You can then share that link with others and they will be able to join your server with it!
Once you've compiled the code the first time, you'll only need to load Dream Daemon and start up the server when you want to run it - you don't need to compile each time.
Let no one say that this is not a helpful community.
(04-20-2017, 11:55 AM)Sam Eagle Wrote: Let no one say that this is not a helpful community.

One hundred paramedics diligently taking turns giving CPR to a charred skeleton.
(04-20-2017, 11:15 AM)Haine Wrote: -SNIP-

I mean, if ya wanna do it the easy way
(04-20-2017, 12:27 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 11:55 AM)Sam Eagle Wrote: Let no one say that this is not a helpful community.

One hundred paramedics diligently taking turns giving CPR to a charred skeleton.
(04-20-2017, 03:35 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:

too many quote chains
it ends here
(04-20-2017, 03:52 PM)Musketman12 Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 03:35 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:

too many quote chains
it ends here