Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Donation Incentives
Cosmetic items and things such as the now near-completely disused smug emote could be added as small incentives to donate to the servers and help keep things afloat.

We might not even need to make new things for this seeing as there's a whole bunch of cosmetic sprites sitting around in the code right now that are inaccessible without admin intervention (a la, the april fools alt-palette uniforms and the red captains equipment).

Having this stuff show up in-game as a donator reward might also help remind people that donations actually exist too. Hopefully this would make donations a little more frequent and more reliable.

Apparently ideas to this general tone have shown up before, and when i mentioned the idea passing in the discord, wonk told me to post a thread, so here it is! Discuss!
buy access to special magic powers that work only on ass day. ass day is already a shitshow so i foresee this only making ass day mildly worse
god dangit I paid my donation fees expecting nothing in return and now you ungrateful SWINE want a PAT ON THE HEAD for forking over your hard earned cash to keep a silly volunteer game project afloat?!

On a more serious note I am all for this. Cosmetic only, of course, much as the contributor system works already.
Be advised: you will be mugged for your donation gear.
I donated to Goonstation and all I got was this lousy T-shirt
I'd donate to get access to the red christmas cape!
(04-17-2017, 06:17 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Be advised: you will be mugged for your donation gear.

I wouldn't have it any other way!
I support the idea of cosmetic boons for donators.

But I think there should also to be discusion of more concrete boons, if only to establish that those are right out.

Selling of antag-token is a big no.

What about a 'priority job'-pass for non-unique jobs?
What about a 'staff assistant job as unwanted' option?
How about birthday rewards? Donate, enter in your birthday, and something special happens? Maybe there's a party set up for you in the bar that day, with cake, decorations, gifts, and party favors
Go-Kart Voucher: A one time use coupon that spawns a go-kart for every player on the server.
That birthday idea is pretty neat. The only concern I have at the moment is that there's currently (as far as I'm aware) no infrastructure behind the scenes linking byond ckeys to donations, otherwise I might take a crack at it (hah) myself to add fun gimmick things that reward donators without leaving everyone else in the cold.

It did occur to me that perhaps donations could be linked to contributor status. It's still sort of a contribution to the servers, after all, just money instead of time and effort.

EDIT: On further reflection I think the birthday thing should be "you can have a party on one round of your choice" rather than have every single round for a day be set up for someone's birthday party. It'd get old very very fast.
(04-19-2017, 10:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about birthday rewards? Donate, enter in your birthday, and something special happens? Maybe there's a party set up for you in the bar that day, with cake, decorations, gifts, and party favors

Farting confetti.
(04-20-2017, 05:16 AM)HotCoffeeMug Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 10:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about birthday rewards? Donate, enter in your birthday, and something special happens? Maybe there's a party set up for you in the bar that day, with cake, decorations, gifts, and party favors

Farting confetti.

As long as it is someone's birthday, all farts are confetti. 
If it's the janitor's birthday, it's blood instead.
sell

a poo
(04-20-2017, 11:31 AM)misto Wrote: sell

a poo
Hah. That reminded me, strongly, of that Futurama episode where Fry buys the last anchovy.