Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GPS component in PDA's
Inside PDA's, include a component that includes the xyz coordinates of where the PDA is located as part of the packet it sends out when communicating with other devices.

This would be for various things like crisis alerts and summoning bots to your location, but could also be used by packet sniffers to try and locate you when you send out messages.

The component would be easily removable with tools for those that want to go off the grid.
Interesting idea, and I see one and a half other things that change would influence.

1) This would almost completely remove the need for a tracker implant (currently available in telescience)

2) As a borg/AI with borg chassis as it stands the only way to use GPS (that I know of) is to use the mining module. This suggested change would be welcome for the borg implications alone in my opinion

Im sure there's other points people may want to share as well.

Thanks,
I like this. Tracker implants are very rare and niche, and this sort of infrastructure would be good for other things to build off of.
I like it, it'd make it somewhat more difficult to permanently remove someone from the round or get fucked by shitty circumstances.

Then again, it'd make detomatrixing a bit more appealing.

Maybe certain implants would interface with the PDAs. Medical implants could use the PDA's GPS to give exact locations of the crewperson in need, tracking implants could make their positions available to anyone with another PDA, mindslaves could keep track of where their mindslaves are, things like that.
Hah. If PDAs automatically reported your coordinates in packets I could set up a machine that kidnaps anyone who sends a pda message.  kitty face

I think PDAs having a GPS as a standard function would be great, though. Just no auto reporting on standard things. It'd possibly help new people who are lost, while not being overtly OP.
(04-14-2017, 09:02 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Hah. If PDAs automatically reported your coordinates in packets I could set up a machine that kidnaps anyone who sends a pda message.  kitty face

I think PDAs having a GPS as a standard function would be great, though. Just no auto reporting on standard things. It'd possibly help new people who are lost, while not being overtly OP.

Making PDAs even more of a trap since Space 2017
Can you configure the teleporter x y with packets? Because you could build an automated tele service. Just send it a pda message with your destination coords. Then it scoops you up and sends you on your way....with a small chance of it sending you into a space bear death room instead A beaming sun
Tracker implants do more than share GPS coordinates y'know
Plus, if we give PDAs GPS functionality, maybe standalone GPS units could be able to track distress signals like the nuke/disk/ID trackers?
Something like a GPS program (would all PDAs automatically come with it, like with crisis alert, or would it come with a new cartridge?) would be very useful (especially as AI/cyborg).
(04-15-2017, 05:39 AM)Flourish Wrote: Something like a GPS program (would all PDAs automatically come with it, like with crisis alert, or would it come with a new cartridge?) would be very useful (especially as AI/cyborg).

One that let you directly see your own coordinates or function more like actual an GPS seems more like a purchasable cart thing, but a program that you start off with that gives you directions to places relative your location seems alright to me
(04-15-2017, 07:30 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 05:39 AM)Flourish Wrote: Something like a GPS program (would all PDAs automatically come with it, like with crisis alert, or would it come with a new cartridge?) would be very useful (especially as AI/cyborg).

One that let you directly see your own coordinates or function more like actual PDA's seems more like a purchasable cart thing, but a program that you start off with that gives you directions to places relative your location seems alright to me

I like that idea. If straight up having it as a default program isnt viewed as the best approach, a cartridge to do so would be a great compromise I think.