Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lack of Admins
Hello!

I understand and appreciate the hard work the admin team puts in. I also realize you have lives outside of this game and aren't always able to be online. 

That being said... I was witness to some new levels of shittery today with folks breaking the rules simply because there were no admins online. When you're just a pubbie no one listens when you try and tell them they're breaking the rules; in fact, people are down right rude and like to say things along the lines of "Looks like I pissed off the autistic kid."

I ahelped everything but I don't know if anything will — or can, at this point — be done about it. 

• People murdering others.
• Bombing the station.
• Beating people into crit and leaving them trapped without an ID in a room after.
• Using bigoted language.
• Breaking default laws as an AI and murdering people.

All that and more in one round and the first two minutes of a second round! Wow! Almost impressive at how crappy this was and how rude they were about it after the fact.

I'm not sure what, if any the process for these situations are. It saddens me because I'm simply trying to enjoy my morning and play a little ss13 for a bit but it gets ruined by three folks who want to be a menace and make the game unplayable. 

I ahelp it and sit on my hands because that's all I can really do but I wish there were something more that could be done. Whether that be giving moderator status to a select group of the mentors or something? I don't know and it's not my place to decide, I suppose. I just feel like this is a major issue that I face every time there isn't an admin online and people decide to break the rules.

I haven't stated names because I know this isn't the point of the forums but I did write down names and at least two of the byond keys if the admins need/want them for future reference.
Which server?
This was on LLJK2. I'll send you a PM with the names today when I get home, Wonk.
I do like the idea of moderators. Perhaps give trusted people that have proven themselves to not be shitheads and are competent minor admin powers, mostly PMing with that admin knocking-on-glass-sound, being able to view server logs, kicking, putting people in that special admin questioning place, and probably a few other things. If this gets out of hand, anyways. Basically just making some people vigilantes but only those who won't abuse. It'd also be nice to restore some kind of order to LLJK2 since that place is constantly a shithole where everyone steals from everywhere and everything is chaos.
(04-10-2017, 06:03 AM)aft2001 Wrote: It'd also be nice to restore some kind of order to LLJK2 since that place is constantly a shithole where everyone steals from everywhere and everything is chaos.

It's always been like that though. The only thing that changed throughout the years is the lack of cooperation and interactions. I'm all for new admins people who are active more who like you said have proven not to be shit and hopefully can be trusted with power.

Though things like this happen where really shit people are breaking rules and admins are not there to stop them. That's happen since the old days and was the reason why I wanted to become a HoS (see worst moments ever thread if you want that story)

Today in situations like the one that made this thread I'd ask them to stop and if that did not work I'd adminhelp and if nothing happened and if they were still being rule breaking asshats I'd adminhelp one more time telling them I am going to have to kill them cause nothing is stopping them.

Also just a side note but this is one of the reasons why I've been seeing players for years saying they don't adminhelp cause they feel nothing happens. I'm sure we've all seen one person in deadchat or OOC say this and though I disagree there is sometimes truth in their statements.
There was a stream yesterday by krillbill, goon was one of the servers they visited. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHtVfPqsUFk
(04-10-2017, 09:34 AM)lambskin Wrote: There was a stream yesterday by krillbill, goon was one of the servers they visited. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHtVfPqsUFk

Why the heck is this the thread you're posting an advertisement in? Please keep this for discussing the issue. The idea of mods that maybe have their privileges toggled on if there are no admins in game seems nice, though!
(04-10-2017, 06:03 AM)aft2001 Wrote:  It'd also be nice to restore some kind of order to LLJK2 since that place is constantly a shithole where everyone steals from everywhere and everything is chaos.

This is horse shit, #2 has always been more chaotic that's just the order of things. Don't think because #1 has a different play style that it's superior in any way.

Quote:aft2001

I do like the idea of moderators. Perhaps give trusted people that have proven themselves to not be shitheads and are competent minor admin powers, mostly PMing with that admin knocking-on-glass-sound, being able to view server logs, kicking, putting people in that special admin questioning place, and probably a few other things. If this gets out of hand, anyways. Basically just making some people vigilantes but only those who won't abuse.
I can also approve of this but i'm not entirely sure if the admin complaint form is a good place to discuss this.
(04-10-2017, 03:47 PM)The Worst Wrote:
(04-10-2017, 09:34 AM)lambskin Wrote: There was a stream yesterday by krillbill, goon was one of the servers they visited. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHtVfPqsUFk

Why the heck is this the thread you're posting an advertisement in? Please keep this for discussing the issue. The idea of mods that maybe have their privileges toggled on if there are no admins in game seems nice, though!

Jesus, he was just saying that this could be the reason why behavior seems to terrible.

And why would anyone want to make 2 less chaotic?

Ugh, can't edit, but I meant "why the behavior seemed so terrible (yesterday)".

(04-10-2017, 07:06 PM)Boon Yoon Wrote:
(04-10-2017, 03:47 PM)The Worst Wrote:

Jesus, he was just saying that this could be the reason why behavior seemed so terrible yesterday.

And why would anyone want to make 2 less chaotic?

okay fuck trying to edit that, sorry.
Hi folks. I appreciate the input but please direct your attention to this thread: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=1735

Make another forum thread if you want to discuss this stuff. Thank you. sop babys

(PS: Sorry, Wonk. I was a bit too busy last night and didn't get a chance to send you the info.)
Since this isn't a complaint about a specific admin, but instead about the admin staff or lack thereof in general, a certain amount of leeway should be assumed. As long as discussion stays in the vein of contextualizing the problem (like the youtub link shined a little light on WHY the other day might have been such a shitshow) or discussing how to solve it, I don't see any problem.
I showed up about 15-20 minutes after you logged out, atamus. One guy you had a problem with checked in with us, and the shit AI caught a ban for a number of reasons.

I do think this is a legitimate complaint though. Adminhelps should always get answered, but a lot of the team is occupied lately! Two weddings on the team and a lot of good games in the past month or two.

Thankfully our newest admin, DarkChis, has been doing a fantastic job holding down the fort and I think that ought to be recognized.
(04-11-2017, 08:11 AM)Grayshift Wrote: I showed up about 15-20 minutes after you logged out, atamus. One guy you had a problem with checked in with us, and the shit AI caught a ban for a number of reasons.

I do think this is a legitimate complaint though. Adminhelps should always get answered, but a lot of the team is occupied lately! Two weddings on the team and a lot of good games in the past month or two.

Thankfully our newest admin, DarkChis, has been doing a fantastic job holding down the fort and I think that ought to be recognized.

He deserves a medal or something.

However, as valiant as his service may be, he's still only human, and humans need to sleep eventually.
I personally don't think that giving non-admins, admin powers is the best idea, but I can certainly see how it could be beneficial.

I've been puttering around on some other servers of late, and have noticed a system that some use are "tickets" for adminhelps. From what I have noticed, an adminhelp opens a ticket, and then it's up to the admin to determine when the ticket is closed. Perhaps something like this could be useful for showing admins which adminhelps have and haven't been handled? I'm not sure what the inner workings of the IRC is like, or how the ticket system would even be integrated into the IRC, but it might allow issues to be handled at a later time, without being buried by other adminhelps.

Another benefit of this ticket system is that the player knows when an admin has looked at the ticket, and when they haven't. Perhaps this could assist in players knowing that their adminhelp wasn't seen and they could possible send it again? This is somewhat of a touchy subject because I don't think anyone would appreciate adminhelp being spammed, but sometimes it's hard to tell for new players if an admin has looked at their message or their complain didn't break any rules (I realize that admins will always reply if they have seen the message, but that's only after having played for a long time, new players might not realize this).
Yeah I thought I put enough info in that post for the context to be obvious but I suppose not. My bad!