Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bouncing and rolling
Something I've noticed is, most anything you throw in the game will kind of stop wherever it hit or you threw it to.

I propose that two properties be taken into when tossing things. It's "bounce" and "roll" factor.

Something that is bouncy, on impact, will bounce away from it's point of contact against something solid. I'm thinking, bounce is a value, with some items such as basketballs being more bouncy then say, a crowbar. 
The bounce distance is calculated by the objects momentum and the bounce value, which detracts a percentage of the momentum and turns that into tiles traveled. Each bounce reduces momentum

Rolling would be another value. An item with roll will continue to travel after hitting it's destination until it loses momentum or collides with something solid. Roll is calculated similarly the to bounce value, but instead it just continues to travel that many tiles

An object can have both bounce and roll, such as a basketball.

So, for example, a basketball could have a bounce and roll of 5. It's thrown against a wall with a force of 20. The math would look like this:

Bounce: 20*.5=The ball bounces back 10 tiles and the momentum value becomes 10
Roll: upon hitting the floor 10 tiles away from the wall, 10*.5 is calculated and the ball rolls an additional 5 tiles
If this is added, space lube should increase an objects roll value, and a new flubber like chem could increase it's bounce value
nice idea. objects with low roll value should be like 'scrapes across the floor loudly' for like one tile
hell yeah

i wanna make sick trick ricochet revolver shots
idea: bouncy bullets. (or just added function for rubber slugs and shit). do less damage, but have a higher bounce value, allowing for bouncing off of walls and shit.
Really, rather than "bounce" and "roll", the better terms to look at would be "elasticity" and "drag".
HEY!! remember that post that talked about space glue and glube that made everything realyl bouncy i think it is relevant here.
I'd be all for limiting roll/bounce to features of space lube/space glu(b)e only. If I'm trying to organise stuff I don't want it rolling all over the place.
(04-06-2017, 06:23 AM)HotCoffeeMug Wrote: HEY!! remember that post that talked about space glue and glube that made everything realyl bouncy i think it is relevant here.

Yes here is that topic
It was a very fun idea. I want glue/glube in the game and this is a good springboard for it.