Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What's your favorite job(s) and why?
I like HoS/Officer. I figure that if I haven't rolled traitor then I at least want in on some of the action. You either get a fast paced and action packed round or a sneaky traitor that turns the game into a murder mystery to solve. When you do catch someone plenty of fun things can happen. Trials, interesting ironic punishments, making deals in exchange for their release, etc. I do wish more people would give it a shot - it's by far the best way to learn to be robust and is a ton of fun if you work together to catch baddies.

For my medium roles (meaning traitor roles, usually), I like to be a scientist or chef. Scientist because a lot of the gimmicks I like to run involve telesci or stable mutagen, and chef because nobody looks twice at that Fried slice of Dr. Floorpills Steak Pie Sandwich on white and wheat bread cake.
Medical Doctor

I get to enjoy saving the crew from horrible injuries and poisoning and sometimes going on deep space rescue missions. I can cure any medical condition and if needed revive the dead in various ways. Plus access to maint is very convenient, I can easily get a belt with tools and a full emergency oxygen tank within moments of round start

Also everyone likes the doctors that let then continue to play. This has earned me lots of space nerd friends that let me join in on the fun, and who trust I wont accidently eat their hearts or fuck up their toys

Plus Ive gotten pretty good at pathogens thanks to advice from Lamar which I know you all enjoy A beaming sun
RD: Easy access to the computer core and handteles, and with enough of a reputation and authority so that people won't question me if I'm doing odd things or gone for long periods of time. Also because chemistry is really interesting but I want my maintenance access goddamnit! space bear

Staff Assistant: Pretty much my favorite role on #2 because of the freedom and lack of responsibilities. If I want to run around in a paramedic suit healing people I can, if I want to just talk with people and sling the barman's pretty drinks back at him I can (though I shouldn't because it's tough enough being a barman making pretty drinks that no one ever bothers to drink). 

Honorable mentions: Mechanic and Test Subject
(04-05-2017, 07:56 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Chaplain because it's effectively assistant+

assistant + but without maint access
HoS: I like the control. Sure you've got guns and generally the respect from the crew, but it comes with the caveat that you must be doing it for the greater good. Your actions or lack of them will often sway the round from complete anarchy to ..well ..less so.
With a security team of any proportion, playing HoS feels like playing a very deadly game of chess.

Detective: I mostly experiment as a detective, because I'm not in the spotlight. Basically I attempt various methods of capturing evidence, tracking, trapping, and attempting to analyse behavior from the crew... Which I would often then use this new found knowledge when i roll hos. Yes, I take notes of your behavior. Yes its backfired on me spectacularly. Beware me all seeing eye.

Roboticist: Two flavors: I either go robotomechanic and get mechanics access and build contraptions around a second ai core, or I'm Mr slice n dice and basically chop up cadavers, selling them and buying upgrades. God I wish there was more avenues for buying/selling like that.

Hop/SA: Basically the role I picked if I get a little too baked and can't hack the pressure. They're both the same to me, the latter just picks up all access at some later point, but I basically behave the same for both roles.
anything with maint access is good enough for me

and if i want more access i can just break in/mug people for their ID
Usually either RD or MD because sometimes I like messing around with genetics and robotics and healing people and sometimes I just want to make horrible deathchems.
RD, CE, assistant.
I like RD because messing with telesci, chemistry and bombs is fun.
CE because messing with the engine is fun.
Assistant because messing with everyone is fun.
Barman : Everyone knows who the REAL captain of this ship is. It's Mr. BoJack. And I'm Mr.BoJack's left hand. Also because messed up cocktails as self defense is a fantastically deniable yakity sax weapon. Also sometimes like to go grab a bunch of toolboxes and rearrange / expand the bar into the rest of the station.

AI : I hate myself and want to die, and this is as close as I can get. When I feel extra masochistic I play AI on LLJK1. Sometimes

If the round has already started and my favs are taken-
Engineer/Mechanic (really dont care which) : Expand the bar.
AI: As someone mentioned, essentially an active spectator. Chill out in your core, comment drily on the shotgunner slaughtering people in medbay. I haven't played this in a while though because I feel guilty if I tune out too much on the off chance something happens that needs my attention, which often means a lot of staring at nothing happening if I end up as one on a lowpop round.

Cyborg: Borgs have a much higher survival rate than you'd expect - changelings and vamps can't target you so they'll usually just ignore you unless you're directly in their way, and you're immune to fire, poison and suffocation, probably the three most common traitorous methods of mass destruction. Being bound to the laws is a bugger, but at least half the time that works out in your favour due to getting subverted. I like going medborg or construction borg for maximum helpfulness when on default and maximum lethality once subverted, or go brobot and be completely useless at both.

Scientist: Four different fields of research, each in-depth enough to occupy multiple rounds dicking around with, and pretty much negative responsibility - the crew's only expectation of scientists is 'when you inevitably blow up, please try to do it offstation'. RD is nice too but plain old scientists can do almost everything they can, and that little bit of responsibility/target potential inherent in being a head usually makes me play way too safe as one.

Mechanic: For pretty much the same reason as scientist. Set up convoluted mechcomp contraptions, scan all the machines and build yourself a brand-new station wherever you like, packet-hack your way into any area, maybe even fix the station sometime if you're feeling helpful.

Chef/Barman: Low-stress roles where you just mess around putting together whatever random foodstuffs/horrible drinks come to mind and chat with anyone bored enough to come hang around the bar. Bar does tend to be a high-priority target for traitors, though, and it's very disappointing if you actually put in effort to make fancy stuff that won't kill you only for no one to consume it.

Observer Ghost: The ultimate low-stress role. A front-row seat to all the action, with absolutely no risk of getting hurt, and you can always chill out and chat with dead folks. Probably my most common role since I rarely have the energy to play multiple rounds in a row, especially on high-pop or after an antag round.
(04-06-2017, 10:43 AM)Roomba Wrote: or go brobot and be completely useless at both.

I'm pretty sure hitting people with a cardboard tube doesn't count as harm, but the sheer number of "AI'S ROGUE" broadcasts I've caused with it is hilarious. Easily my favourite thing to do if the crew were particularly shit in the previous round.
I like being an assistant because I have no real commitment to the round and I can do whatever I want to!
Scientist: I actually like Artifact Research. It feels like I'm doing actual research and making real progress rather just going through the same routine every round (even though that's basically what it is). Plus, there's lots of fun chems, and I like exploring the telescience locations.

Assistant: No real job, no real responsibilities, tons of flexibility. It's the job I pick when I don't feel like doing anything in particular.

AI: Has a bird's eye view of the action. Nuke ops strikes, blob attacks, wizard rampages, AI sees it all, and is in some way involved in it, and in many ways has direct control of the round's outcome.

Medical Doctor: I get to roam around in a nice little paramedic suit, healing people and just generally making their rounds better because there's someone who can make their lives better.
Botanist: Chill, make medicines, provide snacks, bee party.
Doctor: I'm HELPING.
Quartermaster: When someone doesn't siphon all the funds to their own bank account, it's kinda fun and chill. If I feel like knitting during a round, this is great.
Miner: ROCKS rock.
Cyborg: I can shit out 20 burgers in the time it takes you to *fart.
Assistant: Nothing is expected of me, and so I can goof off the entire shift by performing bizarre experiments with reality itself.
Scientist: A job in which making horrible poisons and WMDs is something you get paid for.
Mechanic: Fill the arrivals shuttle with toilets, because you can.