Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Slight nerf to NO2
Specifically I'm asking if it could be changed so people Drift in and out of consciousness while effected by it Since Getting caught in a cloud of it without internals is asking to be out for the rest of the round if there aren't any Sec's Grabbing the people Gassed or Traitors making sure everyone is dead.
Yeah I agree. There's been plenty of times when my O2 tanks run out of air when I am in a NO2 cloud and I just pass out almost instantly and never get found. It was worse then being dead as you have the hope someone will save you so you won't suicide and you can't hang out with ghost. Waking up at some point even just for a few seconds would be great.
I'd rather have it work like hyperglycemic shock where you get a few brief moments of consciousness to scream for help or something

I rescind my support for this idea in light of this post:

(03-24-2017, 06:31 PM)elan_oots Wrote: This seems kind of kneejerky. N2O is rare enough and hard enough to use effectively that it's not a balance issue. N2O has its uses in medbay, and having it let people wake up during surgery would be bad if, for example, you were doing surgery on a monkey. Additionally, N2O is not an instant knockout, you have a little bit of time to run away if you didn't have internals. If you get caught in a cloud of N2O without internals, it's your own fault.
I wait about 2 minutes, then suicide. I do think having the occasional tick to scream or crawl a few tiles would be nice.
While on a round-long high of sugar and coffee, I ran into a cloud of NO2. I immediately thought I was done for, but moments after the first knockout, I woke back up. As I drifted in and out of consciousness, I eventually managed to get free. This, I thought, is what this gas should do, especially as a graytide flushing mechanism in Sec.
This seems kind of kneejerky. N2O is rare enough and hard enough to use effectively that it's not a balance issue. N2O has its uses in medbay, and having it let people wake up during surgery would be bad if, for example, you were doing surgery on a monkey. Additionally, N2O is not an instant knockout, you have a little bit of time to run away if you didn't have internals. If you get caught in a cloud of N2O without internals, it's your own fault.
I'm against this as it is proposed. It is what it is. That being said I would not be opposed to it taking a few seconds to kick in. You get a *yawn emote and then drop in 5 seconds. If you are still inside the cloud... sucks to be you.
(03-24-2017, 07:54 PM)Erev Wrote: I'm against this as it is proposed. It is what it is. That being said I would not be opposed to it taking a few seconds to kick in. You get a *yawn emote and then drop in 5 seconds. If you are still inside the cloud... sucks to be you.

Five seconds is plenty of time to run from the visible knockout gas.
Yeah. It was an arbitrary number but that's the point. Dumb should have serious consequences. Letting them fade in and out hurts the already-visible gas even more. At that rate super cold CO2 or even venting the station are superior tactics. And station venting is super easy as-is.

It would also mess with people who are being put under for surgery reasons. Not that anyone does this.
(03-25-2017, 01:25 AM)Erev Wrote: Yeah. It was an arbitrary number but that's the point. Dumb should have serious consequences. Letting them fade in and out hurts the already-visible gas even more. At that rate super cold CO2 or even venting the station are superior tactics. And station venting is super easy as-is.

It would also mess with people who are being put under for surgery reasons. Not that anyone does this.

I use it for a fun traitor gimmick where I kidnap people and steal their limbs.
Pretty sure I dragged three guys out of invisible n2o yesterday. No white dots, but they all only came to when pulled out. Luckily I had air on from knowing the n2o was released, or I would have been caught too.

As for people being dumb for getting caught by n2o, there sure are a lot of 'dumb' regulars that I drag out of n2o.

edit: Ah right, forgot my point -
In the least: get rid of the space n2o; replace it with biodome gas. I understand why people want it to stay the same.
Pretty sure "invisible N2O" is CO2.
(03-25-2017, 03:27 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Pretty sure "invisible N2O" is CO2.

CO2 acts like N2O, but it's invisible and... well... deadlier.
I wouldn't mind either nerf to NO2, the stuff can be ridiculous in its current implementation. Mind you, I'm not sure the canister in the armory is that much harder to reach than the one in space - it's pretty easy to tunnel your way in from the back or doorhack your way to it if there's no sec, and quite often you'll have people announcing their intention to packet-hack everything in the armory open and loot it for all it's worth to the general disinterest of the public.
(03-25-2017, 03:39 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote:
(03-25-2017, 03:27 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Pretty sure "invisible N2O" is CO2.

CO2 acts like N2O, but it's invisible and... well... deadlier.
What they said. I know it wasn't co2 because they weren't coughing or dying - but they were giggling. It was also visible there earlier, it just dispersed to such a low concentration that the graphic was no longer visible.

I remember an old-timer saying something about a golden concentration that allows for invisible knockout, but I never tried finding it. Not my style, and it was a person prone to giving releasing invisible geese.

Roomba: For some reason I thought the armory's n2o was inside one of those unmovable storage tanks. Ah well.