Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does not getting paid matter (and how do you make it matter?).
I know lack of credits is almost never a problem in the game since vending machines are reasonably priced, but I always find it a possible way to make things more interesting.  In general, I find it a reason to up my assholeness for the round while it's a problem.

Ya know, as long as I'm not actually in charge of that kind of thing.

For example, during a medical round, my standards for working with patients went from "Canadian standards of charging" to "American standards of charging".

I cannot think of a faster way to make people hate you and say funny things.

Anyways, am I the only one that does this?
Charging individual crewmembers for doing your job is far-and-away the best way I've found to get people to hate you without being an antag.

Soliciting bribes as QM, charging "health insurance copays" in medical, and "priority response time" protection money as security... all great fun if you're feeling a little antagonistic without being an antag.

Even if your fees are entirely reasonable, people will hate parting with their credits against their will. Conversely, as barman I often clean-up in tips without even asking for anything. Spacemen are weird.
Man, I can't believe it never occurred to me to charge for my expertises before. I've got a miscreant objective or two to work with now. Maybe I can set up a new spaceman with this as a gimmick on either of the servers.
From my observation 90% of the time people either drop their credits, tip the entire stack, or hide them into their box to save a slot.

a minority of players will use them to buy from the debris field
I should charge for stuff, too... I mean, NanoTrasen is very corrupt, so any way to get money back from employees is good. Also, as Captain, if there's Security then make new ridiculous-yet-plausible-sounding laws which the punishment is usually a fine. Also, advertise bail fees and start arresting more people for longer sentence times. Enough corruption can cause a mutiny/uprising, making for good RP story!

And, I love the idea of healthcare bills. I'm gonna make them confusing as fuck, too, with fields to fill out and with BS fees like "injection fees" and "Cryo Cell fees".

EDIT

oh and, AI service fees big grin

Basically just charging people's bank accounts for requests for the AI to do something. Like, 50 credits to open a civilian door. 100 to open a department door. 500 to open a Head door (yes any door may be opened for the right price)
If more stuff was locked behind paywalls and less stuff was on the station as a whole, money would matter.
Mushroom station is an example of having a reduced amount of things, but people didn't actually really complain, your toolbelt full of tools was often earned rather than given. It was harsher times.
Really I'd like to strike a balance between items available and items locked behind paywalls. I hear a collective groan at the thought of paywalls, but i find money as a motivating resource a far more interesting prospect because it forces interaction and causes motivation, often in the nefarious as really ss13 is exercise in brutality.
(03-24-2017, 06:11 AM).Sov Wrote: From my observation 90% of the time people either drop their credits, tip the entire stack, or hide them into their box to save a slot.

a minority of players will use them to buy from the debris field
I'd say that's pretty accurate. If I don't put all of mine into a machine, I'll toss it to somebody doing their job well.

People don't really value money. They value the time spent making - or using it. People weren't upset about toll booths because they lost money, - they were upset because they lost time.
only good use for money in my humble opinion to be quite honest is for when you need something is for course correction in space when you don't have a jetpack
As someone who plays as an assistant a lot I simply find I never have enough money to do much at all. Sure, I usually buy a pack of pro-puffs and a zippo at the start of a round with my 100 credits, but after that I can't really afford much. Waiting for you pay check also takes quite awhile, so I've generally found something better to do with my time than wait for more dosh.

There's also not enough good ways to earn money IMO. Sure you can play the slots, but I don't want to spend half the round clicking a button. Engineering is probably the best way to make money currently, but not everyone can be an engineering or make enough money off the PTL.

I'd like to see more merchants on-station who are looking to buy stuff, because it's fun as hell to cut up bodies and sell them at the faint signal for mucho bucks. Perhaps random merchants who buy random stuff you can scrounge up from around the station or steal? I know the merchant shuttles are there but they take too long to arrive and they're off in parts of the station no one looks at. Hell I've subconsciously filtered out their arrival and departure messages :I
the payroll budget running dry is a great roleplaying opportunity. and a great opportunity to harass the command staff
The biggest issue with money: the more valuable it is, the more likely it is that the HOP will transfer the entire station budget into his account at roundstart, set the pile of money on fire, then ride away in an escape pod while flipping off the crew.

There are other balancing issues that have to be addressed before money is useful for anything other than flavor, but this is by far the biggest one.
(03-24-2017, 11:26 PM)Roomba Wrote: The biggest issue with money: the more valuable it is, the more likely it is that the HOP will transfer the entire station budget into his account at roundstart, set the pile of money on fire, then ride away in an escape pod while flipping off the crew.

There are other balancing issues that have to be addressed before money is useful for anything other than flavor, but this is by far the biggest one.

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like a bad thing.
It'd be hilarious to have a witch hunt on the HoP because they burnt the entire station's economy.
(03-25-2017, 08:06 AM)YoukCat Wrote: It'd be hilarious to have a witch hunt on the HoP because they burnt the entire station's economy.

Agreed. I also second the idea the station needs more trader-type individuals, or at least to possibly bump up the frequency and/or move them to a place where they're even vaguely accessible to 90% of the crew (read: not in the catering and research docks, what the fuck).
I think roomba's point wasn't that the HoP can go full anarchist but more that anyone who can access the bank records can withdraw ALL of the cash without any checks or any repercussions.

This is a very bad thing because it creates apathy towards money and worse still, creates inflation with various traders as one will have to assume that theres going to be dirty hop with all the station budget. This inflation basically cuts off anyone relying on their wages to buy anything. 

The second glaring problem is lack of stuff to buy/lack of traders.