Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Pathology harder to access (and thus accidentally spread diseases).
Main problem with pathogens;
1. User interface seems to have been designed by some kind of antediluvian horror
2. Wiki guides dont explain how things work very well and are kinda vague in general, theres no step-by-step-process-for-dummies-who-just-want-to-cure-their-space-seizure-tourettes-gbs. I can't find anything on CDC, a neat cargo feature that lets you send pathogen samples away to be analysed and then order cures.

Which generally means the only people with the knowledge, ability and patience to cure pathogens are the same ones who go around making and releasing them.
(03-23-2017, 07:14 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Main problem with pathogens;
1. User interface seems to have been designed by some kind of antediluvian horror
2. Wiki guides dont explain how things work very well and are kinda vague in general, theres no step-by-step-process-for-dummies-who-just-want-to-cure-their-space-seizure-tourettes-gbs. I can't find anything on CDC, a neat cargo feature that lets you send pathogen samples away to be analysed and then order cures.

Which generally means the only people with the knowledge, ability and patience to cure pathogens are the same ones who go around making and releasing them.

Well and also even if you do it like, 100% perfect you still have a chance to fail and have everything you're doing destroyed. I forget if that was fixed but afaik it drove the resident pathology nerds nuts, and I think it's unfair considering how most other systems are set in stone once you figure out how they work.
(03-23-2017, 07:14 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Main problem with pathogens;

If pathology was any easier to use, it'd be abused and subsequently nerfed into the ground. Someone willing to experiment and put a couple rounds into figuring it out and getting experienced can figure out curing pathogens pretty quickly. I do agree that the UI is horrendous though.

However, there should be a blurb about CDC on the Doctor or QM page, so people can figure out how to use it.
The wiki guide for Path is a piece of shit.
If you are infected, just use a blood sample and use QM to get a cure. Who wants to spend 30 minutes trying to find a cure while QM takes only 10k credits for the same thing?
A cure is not especially hard to manufacture in pathology once you know all the common suppressant reagents and the nature of the pathogen(s) in question. It is, however, incredibly tedious to mass-produce, and takes a good chunk of time and reagents just to cure one guy.
(03-23-2017, 08:12 AM)awfulworldkid Wrote: The wiki guide for Path is a piece of shit.

The hardest part is learning the the UI and knowing super important things like closing the window flushes the loaded pathogen holyshitsaveittoaslot

I could probably make a crash course tutorial with step by step pictures on this though...maybe I will

Then you actually get to start learning pathology qnd what the different pathogen types do, along with how high you need to make the various traits (hint advance speed should be more than 0). The symptoms all have hints associated with them, and over time you will learn things like that a tier 3 symptom that appears to be generating a lot of gas is always going to be plasma farts

Then its all about getting faster and trimming the fat from your methods. At first making a moderate pathogen will take you all round. With practice you could have a excellent disease by 15 minutes
(03-22-2017, 11:37 PM)Roomba Wrote: I really don't think it should be a geneticist-only thing - both doctoring and robotics can get boring on a slow round when there's no one to patch up/borg, and the geneticists already have their own toy to play with that no one else gets.
I'm with Roomba on this. As much as a medical researcher job makes sense, I just don't like it from a gameplay sense.

-

What's the problem with pathology? It's like toxins without the boom, or like genetics if mutant genes were illegal.
So I just did a test and, yes, it does appear that the 'pathogens through windows' bug is back. I've put in a bug report.

I can try to work on the wiki though there's a lot of well-written flavor in there that I'd hate to remove. Perhaps it might be better if I added a link to some to-be-written 'Cassandra's Pathogen Notebook'-type starter guide? As a heads up if I fully explain how to cure the threat of pathology will basically fall to zero unless people spam multiple pathogens like Lamarr does because they are really simple to fix (if you peek at the code you'll see that there's only like two chemical options per suppression message).
I don't want the pathology lab restricted to a certain role, it'd make it harder to roll a job with round start access to a chem dispenser and maint.