Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add Sounds to Announcements
Nothing super important. I miss announcements and reports almost all the damn time, it feels like. A nice little bloop or something when receiving an announcement would be greatly appreciated.

Not asking for weird tgstation style voice-acting here. One of the VOX sounds would probably work fine.
The BEE-boop wouldn't be bad.
A few sounds to choose from to help draw attention to your message could be nice. Pings, dings, beboops, selectable when making an announcement.

(I want tada.wav to be in there for when the crew succeeds/fails miserably)
Yes.

also the red alert thing in bridge needs to have a noise that isn't the nuke one cause crew are dumb and cant read
(03-21-2017, 12:47 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: Yes.

also the red alert thing in bridge needs to have a noise that isn't the nuke one cause crew are dumb and cant read

How about the good old Star Trek red alert sound?

As for Head announcements I really like the selectable sound option.
(03-21-2017, 12:47 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: Yes.

Nah, it's always hilarious when someone makes a fake nuke ops announcement alongside the red alert.
Announcements used to be way more special since they would usually show up only when an admin created one. More and more game created announcements being added on kind of ruined the magic.

Also, seeing them all the time conditions us to not really pay attention to them. I think adding a sound would initially help but eventually that would get conditioned out of our minds as well. A random sound could be used each time but that would probably get really annoying.
if this is something that gets added please god make sure that its not a horrible ear-rending noise like the nuke siren
(03-21-2017, 02:28 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Announcements used to be way more special since they would usually show up only when an admin created one. More and more game created announcements being added on kind of ruined the magic.

Also, seeing them all the time conditions us to not really pay attention to them. I think adding a sound would initially help but eventually that would get conditioned out of our minds as well. A random sound could be used each time but that would probably get really annoying.

I also think that having them visually distinguished from other types of announcements would help, since aren't they formatted the same way as various automatic announcements?
Also those announcements should be tied into the announcement computer. So, yes, if that computer is fucked, then you won't be alerted of a Radstorm unless you hear the sirens. Also optional PDA announcements would be nice.
I agree that head/department announcements should probably be formatted in a different way to the URGENT CENTCOM announcements, whether it means formatting the head/dept ones to be less significant or the urgent ones to be more.

Selectable sounds would be neat, but I'd take any sound over none.
(03-21-2017, 02:28 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Announcements used to be way more special since they would usually show up only when an admin created one. More and more game created announcements being added on kind of ruined the magic.

While I agree with you, you are overthinking this.
Literally the solution to this is to have a specific sound and font for admin announcements (perhaps more prominent that the following), and a specific sound and font for station announcements. Something to distinguish the two, thats all thats needed.
At the very least, one of the sounds available should be the solarium ending sound. It's very nice to listen to.
(03-22-2017, 09:09 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: At the very least, one of the sounds available should be the solarium ending sound. It's very nice to listen to.
The alarm or the sad GuardBuddy tone?
(03-22-2017, 09:16 AM)Burrito Justice Wrote:
(03-22-2017, 09:09 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: At the very least, one of the sounds available should be the solarium ending sound. It's very nice to listen to.
The alarm or the sad GuardBuddy tone?

Sad guardbuddy