Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detective Tools
Add a pair of tweezers and test-tubes to the detective's office, allowing him to take samples of various things

Remove his flash; add a flash effect to his camera. Fix the camera so it stops taking pictures of yourself when you stuff it in a bag. Flash always has the "whole screen flash" which reveals cloakers regardless of what you point it at.

Add an ashtray to the office.

allow QMs to order forensic stuff (bottles, test tubes, and so on)

Add a DetectBuddy that can be made with a robot arm, proximity, and the spare detective's clothes. When turned on it "scans" a room and collects evidence (throwing it in test tubes all over). When e-magged, proceeds to mercilessly hunt down the detective and fire upon him with a revolver. When he's slain it goes to his office and spams screwed up monologues and consumes all his whiskey/cigs.
The DetectBuddy idea alone sounds rather nice, I'm all for it. Especially the rather amusing emag effect.
To be honest I dislike everything you said except the camera acting as a flash, also using the flash in your hand hasn't dispelled cloaks for a long time (despite the fact that they're borderline overpowered)
Why don't you just give the detective a dropper? He's already got latex gloves, so he can pick up physical evidence without contaminating it, and a dropper can pick up liquid evidence, if scooping it off the ground is too menial for you. Flash on the camera actually sounds like a really good idea, and I think the detect buddy, while kind of stupid, sounds funny as hell.
I was talking to an admin on IRC about pathology and came up with swabs being used to collect stuff. Swab a criminals mouth, a bottle of Jack's, the clown suit, a bloody glove, things like that, and you could plug it into the sampling machine. I don't see why the detective couldn't spawn with a box of swabs to use in this effect, and seeing what he could swab. Kinda like the scanner, but could also be used once pathology is up. I also like the camera and DetectBuddy idea.
We don't have the three hour long rounds of RP servers, requiring the detective to do forensic examinations would be completely ineffective.

The detective should be able to quickly follow a trail. And cause traitors to try and clean up their messes after they have murdered someone.

Fights should leave on the fighters blood traces of the attacker and the defender, maybe leave the same traces in pools of blood around the area of the attack; finding an unwiped cadaver should give a clue about who hurt them.

The corpses, weapons and yourself could be cleaned with space cleaner, acid or water. Some could be less effective and leave partial traces, or have a chace to fail cleaning.

Having blood on your hands (your own or your victim's) should leave small prints on doors, switches, closets, chutes -maybe other items- you touch, so that a detective with a general idea of where you went can trace your steps and track you down.

Some obvious traitor weapons could leave marks on the clothes/body, which the detective could see, much like a barman tastes, eswords, revolvers (gunpowred residue, singed clothing).
Other covert weapons would not leave traces, and require deduction from the readout of a health analyzer or some guesswork.
I think the detective already has enough tools, but really if the bugs on these tools could be fixed this would work WONDERS for forensic side of things.

The scanner got fixed to read blood pools and blood on stuff, which is great, but currently it cannot read blood spatter on people wearing said stuff. Scan a bloody dude, no blood detected. Of course you can arrest him, strip him, then scan it but this seems like far too much effort for such a menial task, especially if you're playing the detective correctly (i.e: You didn't immediately get sec equipment access for a stun baton) you shouldn't be making arrests.

Detective starts out with latex gloves, can he also start with a health analyser? When I play as detective, using the health analyser on a moldy corpse tells alot about said corpse. High toxin levels in a target immediately spells murder, while ridiculously high suffocation values in a breathable area or ridiculously high brute damage with no suffocation damage can tell me the target committed suicide via holding breath or toolbox to head respectively. So a health analyser is a powerful asset.

I love the camera/flash idea.

Ehh, this has been suggested before a number of times and I really really really like it, that detective should have the power to plant bugs that feed into some form of recorder, perhaps the audio recorder would have a new use?
IDEA: Audio recorder has 3 slots for bugs, each requiring the detective to use tape recorders for each slot.
You can slap bugs onto EVERYTHING; walls, shoes, hats, plates, consoles. When examining the object you will get this message:
This is a RWall (original examination)
You spot a bug stuck to it.
Right clicking the Rwall or item brings up an option to remove bug.
Sundance Wrote:The scanner got fixed to read blood pools and blood on stuff, which is great, but currently it cannot read blood spatter on people wearing said stuff. Scan a bloody dude, no blood detected. Of course you can arrest him, strip him, then scan it but this seems like far too much effort for such a menial task, especially if you're playing the detective correctly (i.e: You didn't immediately get sec equipment access for a stun baton) you shouldn't be making arrests.

And in reverse, if a dude is holding a bloody fire extinguisher, it'll show in bold red text when you examine him, but if the same fire extinguisher is just lying around on the floor, it won't mention the blood on examination. (Even though the sprite is lightly spattered.) At least that's what happened when I was doing terrible science yesterday.

Usually obvious from the sprite, but pretty well hidden on fire extinguishers since they're already bright red.
Connect the forensic scanner to the pda.

then they don't need to run back to their office every three seconds to figure out who the sample belongs to.