Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
LLJK1 is still kinda poo
(10-03-2017, 12:32 PM)PH77SER Wrote: P.S. i also appreciate how it's empty sometimes, because it lets sol nerds do their shit in peace

I enjoy this. I've been slowly exploring the debris field and adventure zones at my leisure.
grumble #1 was never designed to be a Sol joyride grumble grumble.

Of fucking course you'd enjoy the silence if you're just playing sol. I'm not saying Sol's to blame here but if you lump sol and population in the same sentence you're going to have a bad time.

Sure it keeps the turbonerdery off #2 but is that REALLY what we want #1 to be? The shadowrealm of goon?

smh
This just makes me confused. For years there was a outcry of people who wanted a RP server and when they get it they don't play on it? Correct me if I am wrong but LLJK1 was made with 20 players playing at all times in mind and it can't even get that much support? Maybe it's time to accept that most people on goon really don't care to RP.

Who knows? I most likely have no clue what I am talking about anyways. I'm just sad cause I know there are a good chunk of people who wanted the RP server to be a thing and for it to be a ghost town must seem like such a waste to them.
There were 10+ people on last night for a bit

shrug
Preface: if I haven't seen you on LLJK1 I'm taking your opinion with a fairly large grain of salt.

If it gets to a critical mass of about 10 it tends to grow to 20 pretty quick. Getting to that 10 early enough in the evening so that people see that it's populated when looking for a server to play on is basically all it takes to get a decent playercount; if we get there early we hit mid-teens to 20 no problem.

If I'm around early enough in the evening (east coast) I tend to ping the discord channel to let people know Stuff™ may be happening. I've noticed Flourish doing the same. This seems to be a pretty good way of getting a population spike that drives it upwards.

Seriously, though, I don't get why people don't play. If you're killed early in the round on LLJK2, just hop on to LLJK1 for a bit and give it a go there. It's still reasonably ludicrous, and comes with the fun additional aspect of "flat-out murder-rampaging is against the rules" so you're actually likely to have a more interesting experience than "doing your thing for a bit, oh and you're dead". If you think that not being able to murder-rampage means it isn't fun, in my opinion it's still massively boring and dickish to do on LLJK2.

To any newer players, LLJK1 offers a slightly slower/more controlled pace than LLJK2, so is a great server to learn some of the game mechanics on. Do not treat it as your own personal sandbox, however. Actually get out there and interact with the crew (looking at you, genetics).

One of the main gripes people seem to have with LLJK1 is the map. People don't like how "cramped" some of the departments are. You don't get to complain about both how cramped they are and the low-pop, because there is plenty of room in each workplace to do your thing. Yes, it can get crowded if a few people join you, but guess what? You can go bug QM/the mechanic/engineering to build you an expansion. You can go claim an area in the debris field. You can go ask the HoP for a job change.

If you don't like the layout of the map, honestly I'm 90% sure it's simply to do with unfamiliarity. It's sensible enough and very easy to get used to, with departments logically grouped. I'm not saying it's not without faults, but guess what? If more people play on LLJK1 and people start complaining about the map then we can switch it out for Clarion or make a whole new one.

In conclusion: LLJK1's seen a decent amount of life breathed into it lately. I'm endeavouring to make things interesting/busier earlier in the evening to encourage a self-fuelling population spike. It's not dead. It's not poo.
the problem is that there's rarely anyone online which creates a negative feedback loop

"why would i want to play here when at best there might be 1-2 people on, and even then it's a crapshoot to whether they're actually playing or braindead?"
Still new here, but sometimes I play LLJK1 for the solo experience since I'm still learning, especially the GoonStation learning experience. Trying to learn Engineering or Atmo and having 50 people and the CE start requesting everything under the sun while it takes me 5 minutes just to figure out something others can do in 30 seconds, doesn't give much room for learning.

Right now I'm trying to improve my wiring and piping skills by setting up Atmo loops, starting the engine up and connecting solar arrays.

While I could load up a solo server, having living, breathing station that's been up and running (with its own problems) is a lot more random than I can get hosting my own private server. And having the stress of knowing that I could blow it up along with any of the few people on board, is a lot more realistic than just hitting the rest button on the Admin tab.
(10-05-2017, 05:07 AM)Lerxst Wrote: Still new here, but sometimes I play LLJK1 for the solo experience since I'm still learning, especially the GoonStation learning experience. Trying to learn Engineering or Atmo and having 50 people and the CE start requesting everything under the sun while it takes me 5 minutes just to figure out something others can do in 30 seconds, doesn't give much room for learning.

Right now I'm trying to improve my wiring and piping skills by setting up Atmo loops, starting the engine up and connecting solar arrays.

While I could load up a solo server, having living, breathing station that's been up and running (with its own problems) is a lot more random than I can get hosting my own private server. And having the stress of knowing that I could blow it up along with any of the few people on board, is a lot more realistic than just hitting the rest button on the Admin tab.

Careful, Destiny's engine has some, uh, unique quirks that don't translate well to running a truly great burn on the other maps.
(10-04-2017, 09:58 AM)Mordent Wrote: One of the main gripes people seem to have with LLJK1 is the map. People don't like how "cramped" some of the departments are. You don't get to complain about both how cramped they are and the low-pop, because there is plenty of room in each workplace to do your thing. Yes, it can get crowded if a few people join you, but guess what? You can go bug QM/the mechanic/engineering to build you an expansion. You can go claim an area in the debris field. You can go ask the HoP for a job change.

My only real complaint about the map is how most of the time it's Destiny, which is a long, straight path with few alternate routs. I prefer Clarion's boxier, and more multifaceted pathing.

Otherwise, I think Destiny has a lot of really nice touches to the rooms, like the Bar stage and bathroom stalls

(10-03-2017, 02:29 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: This just makes me confused. For years there was a outcry of people who wanted a RP server and when they get it they don't play on it? Correct me if I am wrong but LLJK1 was made with 20 players playing at all times in mind and it can't even get that much support? Maybe it's time to accept that most people on goon really don't care to RP.

Who knows? I most likely have no clue what I am talking about anyways. I'm just sad cause I know there are a good chunk of people who wanted the RP server to be a thing and for it to be a ghost town must seem like such a waste to them.

I enjoy the higher RP when it occurs. Not the empty servers with really long rounds.

If LLJK1 was dropped, I'd hope we'd still have Higher RP days/hours similar to Ass day occurring on the 13th
(10-05-2017, 02:17 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If LLJK1 was dropped, I'd hope we'd still have Higher RP days/hours similar to Ass day occurring on the 13th

We had something like this a few months back. It was consider a admin round but we were told to RP or else. The round was a murder mystery where someone died in the chapel and someone on the station was the killer. Only issue was we were all made antags with the objective that read something like this "Oh no someone was killed last night and you can't remember what you did! Partake in the investigation and find the killer but beware you may be the killer."

This turned into everyone trying to solve the murder while giving into their fears that they were the killer and embracing their murderous desires and covering their tracks while trying to frame others. It was really enjoyable and a ton of fun. I'd love for something like this to happen again. So if the admin that did this event sees this please try something like this again it was a blast.
What is the current status of Clarion anyway? Last I heard (March I think), it was being play-tested, and set to replace Destiny as the de facto map for the RP-server. But I've never seen the map in game and the Official Clarion FIX THIS SHIT Thread peters out after April.