Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
LLJK1 is still kinda poo
on yog they enforce the whole "try to only complete your objectives without being a murderboning dickhead" and i think that rules for antags on #1 should be different to discourage the station getting ravaged. people should be limited to only complete their objective and collateral (or a fun gimmick that involves everyone) instead of incessantly murderboning on lowpop. lowpop murderboners= people usually not getting caught and everyone dying. just a thought
Well, it seems like you just show up and go do your thing, and there is no apparent encouragement to have any interest in "the chain of command". Like everyone is more encouraged to want to just go do their own thing, and if there are people on, you just talk to each other like it's a chat room, meanwhile everything is falling apart, and there are like one or so people trying their best to put it back together. This is why you feel like there is "no goal". I was thinking, either there could be a bit of word sentences that get people on some sort of page, or it could maybe be repurposed into an "anarchy" server. Just a thought.

I think of the role of captain as like an "executive", but if nobody is listening, then there is not really much for them to execute. And often, you will have your little characters who want to have their little jobs, but then there is no captain, and then they get used to there being no captain, and then when there is a captain, the captain is just a random loner with so much power they don't know what to do with. There's more thoughts.

I was thinking about this when I was captain for the first time on LLJK2 and I told a guy that he should listen to the chain of command, and I think he said the chain of command was his butt, and I said that it's important and can save you. And I think it can save you in the way that when you join a team, even if one of those team mates goes mad against you, the rest of the team will fight to protect the team. Or maybe something like that. Because, in that round, the HoP was a bad guy, but the rest of the crew was all acting in similar interests, maybe? And I tried to be a good team captain, so, there may be a question of whether what somebody says on the RP server is consequential or just some sort of RP. Whether anybody is going to actually be there for you, or attentive, or even notice or care, or not just be in their own little RP world, and before you go saying to me, "Hey, bud. If you don't like RP, then you don't have to play on the server", ...I don't know. You are correct, but that doesn't mean I don't like "RP".

Also, the shape of the "station" may play a factor in how the crew is able to interact, like how easy it is for them to run into each other or whatnot. So, it is different than the other server, and that is by no means a bad thing, but it may play a role in how it is interpreted in the game. Some thoughts, I guess. How are you?

Maybe- maybe they aren't only thoughts, but observations as well, -or maybe even something else... or maybe not, but another thing about the chain of command, having subordinates can be helpful. If that makes any sense. Or can be imagined.
I'm going to try to reply to the most coherent part of that post.

(06-02-2017, 11:53 PM)Bob Wrote: How are you?

Fine, thank you.
(06-02-2017, 11:53 PM)Bob Wrote: on LLJK2  

Well theres your problem! you were on lljk2
I've only played on LLJK1 a few times during high-pop event rounds, but what kept the server going in the old days (before Destiny and RP rules) were the Sol Nerds.

I'm not saying we should allow that again, but a certain PvE progression type system like telescience could be created for LLJK1. Something simple like moving the ship somewhere that can be explored. Then whenever you leave the next person to come on can pick up where you left off. I've heard this discussed many times before but Ugh, that button...
(06-03-2017, 12:26 AM)Roomba Wrote: I'm going to try to reply to the most coherent part of that post.

(06-02-2017, 11:53 PM)Bob Wrote: How are you?

Fine, thank you.

Banging head against the wall What made it not coherent? How is it not coherent? Why is it not coherent?

You know, it's almost like you are calling me crazy by saying that. I know you are probably just making a joke, but I am not, so it's interpreted a bit differently. I'll try to take it easy, but man.... hey.
(06-03-2017, 05:52 AM)HydroFloric Wrote:
(06-02-2017, 11:53 PM)Bob Wrote: on LLJK2  

Well theres your problem! you were on lljk2

I was then Captain on LLJK[1] after that. [edit:oops]
Bob is back.. great.

Bob, you have a tendency to ramble on almost as if you're just typing every thought that pops into your head. That moght be why folks have a hard time understanding your "word sentences."

As for LLJK1, the RP rules already specify that chain of command is to be respected and antagonists are not allowed to murderbone. Maybe you folks should re-read the RP rules.
(06-05-2017, 07:21 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Bob is back.. great.

Bob, you have a tendency to ramble on almost as if you're just typing every thought that pops into your head. That moght be why folks have a hard time understanding your "word sentences."

Maybe I did that before, but right now I don't see any reason to further explain anything I have said.
why do you keep ragging on bob

his sentences are perfectly coherent and easy to understand. 

and unfortunately i don't think anything will ever change the roles of the heads of staff. captain and hop will always be nothing more than assistants with all access, hos will never be anything more than a sec officer but with access to a stockpile of guns, etc 

i don't think rp will just magically fix heads from having nothing to functionally set them apart from the rest of the crew beyond access and even then it's so easy to hack/break into places
Reading comprehension? I have things to learn as well...
I was getting ideas in my head for some reason about Starfleet. As an idea of how a space ship that might be sort of like the one on LLJK1 would look. Then I was thinking that in the game it's not really a sort of Starfleet sort of situation. So then I thought about the original "Alien" movie, because in that one they are a sort of company vessel if my memory serves me correctly. Sort of an example of how these different universes are imagined. But my point is for an idea of how these people get to where they are. Like, it is a good idea for certain members to have some amount of training. Like it doesn't have to be like Star Trek where they all sort of look up to the captain or anything like that. [Like in Star Trek it's almost sort of like everyone aspires to become a captain themselves some day.] [All of this would go out the window with a larger population.] [Or rather, we would then see how it actually worked. So anybody who has been in the middle of it and seen it with a larger population feel free to share your thoughts.]
Bob, I'm really trying to understand you but I'm sincerely having a hard time here. What are you asking?

Crew training? A backstory to the game?
If it's a backstory you're looking for, check this out: wiki.
I play pretty frequently on LLJK 1 nowadays, nearly every day at weird assorted hours. Here's my thoughts.

Our regulars are great. We've about 10-15 really decent people who will show up occasionally, and I love them.
The remainder? They're people who are very new, people who don't care about RP and want to fuck off into space or murder people, and people who can barely talk... it can be frustrating! Summer etc., though some newbies have been just exceptional.

Apart from that, our biggest problem is inconsistent population. During events we're sitting pretty on 35 people, on a great day we have like 18, and on a normal day? 2-5 players until very late at night, and only if those numbers stay. It's got bad enough that I idle there nearly all day just to show someone's online.

I don't think re-evaluating Security, the Chain of Command or any other stuff is really relevant. Right now things are incredibly fun and workable, we just need solid players!
To build on Weavel's point, I've observed similar trends.

One thing I think we need to do is focus more on introducing game mechanics to new players. Most days new players come out of cryo and see a bunch of folks just drinking in the bar, then drink a bunch of booze, walk off, and die of thirst somewhere.

Basically, if you're a member of a department and someone joins your department, please do take the time to ask them what's up, see if they need showing around the department or talking through various parts of it.

For example: if a medical doctor that you don't recognise joins (or joins shortly after someone gets the Fish medal, in particular) and you're in medbay, take a step back from your genetics console, or stop drinking in the bar, and go and show them the ropes. Perform an emergency buttectomy on a monkey. Show them how to replace its arms with robot arms. Offer to let them do the same to you after they've got the mechanics down on a monkey (or if you're feeling brave, talk them through it while they're doing it).

If you're in research, come and say hi then show them the artlab, or help them through some basic chem mixes (show them where to get welding fuel, talk them through how reagents work in general). Use some LOOC chat in there if you have to, but bonus points if you can keep it IC.

New players often join as staff assistants. Rather than asking "do you need something to do?" flat out tell them "hey, I need an assistant over in <department>, come on over". If they don't respond, fine, at least you tried.

That's my two cents, anyway. Heck, if I see someone doing it a lot I might even toss out antag tokens or something. I get that it's exhausting and probably frustrating.