Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reinvigorate mining
(03-29-2017, 08:50 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Also remove round-start pod mining equipment.

This, pod mining makes it impossible for anyone else to use the magnet, they're more suited to mining large open areas like the debris field.
How do people feel about the usage of the telescope? I feel like it is a little tedious but not outrageous, you have to be within roughly 30-40 LY away to get your asteroids
I'm unsure how it works exactly, can the magnet only get the most recently discovered asteroid?
It adds another option to the magnet console. You have to highlight the asteroids you find on the telescope console and hit the "track" button or whatever you would use to view the info before it gets added.
So I'm enjoying where this is going so far with the tweaks to miraclium, haven't gotten a chance to try the new purpose of starstone yet. (Please don't get rid of the pods though, or at least leave them buildable, I just found out plasma cutters are great)

More stuff to make with it would be good but that can come after mining is more rewarding, atm it's improving and I really like the targeted asteroid function
Tweaked miraclium makes miners' job a lot easier imo
Where we're going we don't need eyes to see pods to mine
Starstone is great, trust me. It's what the science nerds want the most. It's useful.
Re-add click-dragging stacks of ores and processed materials into processors/fabricators/manufacturers. Possibly make processors auto-smelt ores placed on the same tile so you can dump ore scoops onto them and have them refined with a single click?
oh yeah, allow miners to click drag a material processor onto a tile like fabs can do, to put the stuff on that tile, or even in a nearby fabricator
(03-29-2017, 08:50 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Also remove round-start pod mining equipment.

PLEASE no. It may make some sense, but it'd mining on LLJK1 so much slower, since there's almost always only one miner, if there is one at all.
(03-31-2017, 12:13 PM)elan_oots Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 08:50 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Also remove round-start pod mining equipment.

PLEASE no. It may make some sense, but it'd mining on LLJK1 so much slower, since there's almost always only one miner, if there is one at all.

Pod mining removes almost all risk associated with mining, is braindead easy, and is vastly more efficient than hand mining.

It needs to stay as a top-tier mining equipment upgrade, at least on #2

I'd be fine with keeping the ore scoop attachment around at round start because then you could have a tag team of miners working together with a pod and a hand digging implement.

If you want to make a special exception for LLJK1, that's okay I guess. At least use plasma cutters instead of drills though. At least there's a chance of blowing up something with the plasma cutters.
replace the mining pods with putts instead 

or make the asteroids that get pulled in much bigger to incentivize what noah talked about in the above post about someone in a pod cooperating with someone digging around by hand

putting mining back on the mining z-level could help do that too i think
I think it'd be better to make a clear distinction between hand and pod mining, where both have benefits and drawbacks making the choice to use one over the other a situational matter.

Example: Pod mining is faster, but hand mining yields higher quality and/or quantity since it's more precise and less gets destroyed by the pod gear

If you're mining run of the mill mauxite, you can just drill it with the pod because who cares if you get less it's so common. But if you find gold, maybe you want to hand mine that for a larger sum
Good idea, Frank. A simple solution to balance.

Oh, and while I'm here - some way to 'refine' ores/bars into higher 'quality' material would be nice. Kinda... 'out of my mind' right now, so I can't remember if that's a 'thing' already.

apostrophe apostrophe
(04-02-2017, 08:37 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Lastly, I'd like to see an ore storage/sorting machine. As a miner, I want to be able to dump off a satchel full of ore, see clearly through the interface the ore/resource totals and eject an amount of ore I want. No more mucking about click-dragging stacks around on the floor of mining.
Something like this would be great.

More automation would be great. I miss those conveyer tracks that you could just dump your ore onto as you worked that would send it to mining

Bring those back, have it dump into this new sorter. Then from the sorting machine you can see what you have. From there, pick what you want to eject, how much of it, and where you want it sent to. Then it'll pop it out onto more conveyors that will send it to QM, Robotics, The Smelting room, or directly into the manufacturers

No dragging, no sorting, no loading needed

Alternatively, replace the conveyers with tracks and hopper carts
do people just forget that the mineral accumulator exists or something

Granted that only answers about half your problems but it's a really nice piece of gear.