Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reinvigorate mining
oh yeah, i really like the mining on i think cog1/one of the donuts idk, where there's like a big treadmill to the station but the magnet's a while away, and theres a room with a smelter, nanoforge, whatever, in it. something like that would be good also
One if the best things I've seen in another codebase was a machine you dumped your ores into, giving the miners reward points to spend on gear.

But because of this centralised drop off point, it also meant that departments could be notified when mining found new materials.

I don't know if the direct reward thing is something we want but going back to the automated refining unit idea, having a PDA mailbot that let relevant departments know a specific material has been discovered would be a tremendous boon.
(03-19-2017, 03:16 AM)Cirrial Wrote: One if the best things I've seen in another codebase was a machine you dumped your ores into, giving the miners reward points to spend on gear.

But because of this centralised drop off point, it also meant that departments could be notified when mining found new materials.

I don't know if the direct reward thing is something we want but going back to the automated refining unit idea, having a PDA mailbot that let relevant departments know a specific material has been discovered would be a tremendous boon.

That's in TGcode at the very least. You go mine in the scary lava world, come back, dump off your shit for points, buy stuff and either go back to the lava world or wander the station with your cool new anime glasse
(03-17-2017, 03:39 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Mined gold can't be sold because of an OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD exploit when Material Reclaimers were first introduced where you could turn 1 bar of gold into 5 sheets and then each sheet into 1 bar of gold.

I have no idea why it hasn't been reverted, the exploit was back from cogmap1!

[Image: Dw77xXs.gif]
then either fix the exploit or remove gold from the ores that show up (or have it made super rare so ppl can still make gold rooms and shit occasionally)
Didn't they fix that bug and also weird conversions with the material smelter thing? Used to be you could make sheets into tons of bars but not anymore midway into Keelin's materials rework.

So fix that and make gold sellable again darn it
(03-20-2017, 09:19 AM)misto Wrote: then either fix the exploit or remove gold from the ores that show up (or have it made super rare so ppl can still make gold rooms and shit occasionally)

Gold is a decent stand-in for pharosium.
Is there any reason we use mauxite, molitz, and pharosium instead of calling it something like iron, glass, and copper? Seems like we moved away from fake names with the medical chems, so I was wondering why that's still like that for mining.
(03-20-2017, 12:50 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Is there any reason we use mauxite, molitz, and pharosium instead of calling it something like iron, glass, and copper? Seems like we moved away from fake names with the medical chems, so I was wondering why that's still like that for mining.

While we're at it, can it please be possible to actually make garden-variety 'metal'/steel? I don't like how constructed floortiles have to be nasty and discolored. Make it a mix of mauxite and char.

I'm ambivalent about these getting their old names for a number of reasons.
For it: More straightforward by far. Less snowflakey terms. Might get the iron standin to actually look like iron.
Against: I like the snowflakey terms, they have a certain charm. 'Glass' already exists as a material. 'Copper' does too. They'll have to be intermixed or have one replace the other.
(03-19-2017, 03:34 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 03:16 AM)Cirrial Wrote: One if the best things I've seen in another codebase was a machine you dumped your ores into, giving the miners reward points to spend on gear.

That's in TGcode at the very least. You go mine in the scary lava world, come back, dump off your shit for points, buy stuff and either go back to the lava world or wander the station with your cool new anime glasse

It's basically the single best thing that Mining could ever want. It's scary, dangerous, and filled with rewards beyond measure. It'd be interesting if TeleSci could be used to shoot portals over to certain planets for their bounties, but that's a good bit of work and probably for another discussion. It'd definitely legitimize TeleSci for things not the Solarium and encourage the hell out of interdepartmental cooperation, but yeah.

Let's keep it within the possible for now:

Leave in the mining magnet for Destiny, that thing is sort of necessary for the long rounds they run.

On-station, however? No mining magnet. Spruce up the mining z-level and bring back the random spawns for minerals, especially erebite. I really miss erebite.
Have an option for on station or near station mining. I don't mind having the Z-levels out there to explore but the more we can do to keep people 'in play' on the station the better - especially considering the size of Cog2. Reopening the mining station just removes a handful more people from interacting with the majority.
Re-opening the mining z-level really doesn't solve the inherent problems with mining, but it's a step in the right direction.

P.S. can mining mesons please not have that godawful eye-sore of an overlay? Miners need to wear those things in order to do their job properly.

Edit: I agree that a lavaland style thing would be the ideal solution, but that sounds like a hell of a lot of hard work for the Coders.
The mesons overlay is pretty wild, yeah. When they're important for mining, which is a pretty involved job, I don't want them to be such an eyefuck.
The quantum telescope is fantastic.

Now I do have one request, which is that picks activate on Bump.

I'd like to not accelerate my inevitable RSI more than necessary, please!
(03-29-2017, 08:23 AM)Cirrial Wrote: The quantum telescope is fantastic.

Now I do have one request, which is that picks activate on Bump.

I'd like to not accelerate my inevitable RSI more than necessary, please!

Also remove round-start pod mining equipment.