Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How strict should LLJK1's RP be?
Not interested in explaining it to you. If you really don't understand why, you aren't someone I want to play on an RP server with.

EDIT: Actually, no, I WILL explain it. It's because if a person's idea of good quality RP is to stalk someone and kill them while never having interacted in any two-way manner, then it says something really alarming about the PLAYER'S mental makeup, and I don't want to be ON THE SAME CONTINENT as them.
I personally feel that something like that depends on the situation.

For example, a traitors objectives could at least partially justify their actions. If, say, they're targeting captain Joe Shmoe, then of course it would make sense for them to murder them for (seemingly) no reason. But randomly murdering assistant Sally Jefferson when you're not supposed to is going into "Just go to LLJKUS 2" territory.

Of course, if Sally did something to piss the traitor off in particular, then murdering them is fine. The traitor may be a cold, heartless murderer, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings.
I uh, I don't know man. Assassins. Maybe you aren't really thinking like an assassin.

Sort of uh, kind of uncalled for maybe. Have you met many psychopaths?
The point of role-playing is to build a cooperative narrative.

So even if you have the role of "Assassin" it's not cooperative and it's not building a narrative if you aren't trying to communicate with people.

So you can succeed at being the best assassin, but you're failing at good roleplay
Are you supposed to cooperate with an assassin? Are you supposed to cooperate with your enemy? I am not sure why you say that the point of role-play is to build a cooperative narrative. And why cannot killing the person communicate to the other that you are an assassin?
because bob unfortunately you cant please everybody

you should just develop and play to standards of your own
Oh, you can kill them, but you should think about how you can do that while making it fun and building a strong narrative when you're playing on the RP server.

Think about murder mysteries and whodunits. The killer leaves clues behind, and other people get the fun of trying to figure out who the killer is and trying to protect themselves.

There's a difference between an assassin that quietly kills their target and disposes of the evidence, and one that leaves behind a mocking letter or some other calling card.

Would a movie like Seven be as interesting to watch if the killer, instead of committing several dramatic killings based on the seven deadly sins while playing a cat and mouse game with the police, just shot people and hid their bodies?

(07-18-2017, 01:19 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: because bob unfortunately you cant please everybody

you should just develop and play to standards of your own

You sure can't, and I agree with that sentiment. However, there are two servers, and only one asks for a more role-play centric style.

So if you're wanting advice on what's good role-play in a thread about what role-play should be like on the role-play server, maybe you ought to consider what makes for good role-play, eh?

But really, Bob if you want to play the game more like a video game, and there's nothing wrong with that, LLjk 2 is probably more geared toward what you're wanting
I have to mirror what everybody else has said. Though your end goal may be 'kill this person', your character is not your end goal. Your character will talk to people to create a backstory and maybe have people to vouch for them, or to use as scapegoats. Sure, you could RP a cyborg as just standing idly until someone asks it to do something, but is that interesting? No.
RP is cooperative freeform storytelling, and your idea of RP seems to be more "no but" than "yes and".
Bob, I'm going to try one more time to rationalize with you. I only ask that you lease leave your "abstract" train of thought behind for a second.  smile

Which of these two scenarios sounds like more fun for everyone involved?

Scenario A
Person A is walking down a hall. They've been having a great shift, interacting with the crew, farting around, livin' it up. Suddenly and with no preamble, Person B silently runs past them. Unbeknownst to Person A, they've just been sleepy penned and are rendered unconscious in seconds and are promptly thrown from an airlock by Person B, dying before they even know what happened. The shift continues without anyone else ever knowing anything happened. This continues until most of the crew are dead or at least several of the people on Person B's list are silently removed from the round. Maybe the crew wonders where everyone is? Maybe they assume people signed off, went braindead, or hopped into cryostasis.

Scenario B
Person A is walking down a hall.  been having a great shift, interacting with the crew, farting around, livin' it up. Sounds familiar; however, there's been a menacing character threatening them via PDA messages and notes left in the halld... very suspicious. Person A is on edge. There's tension in the air. Everyone is a suspect. Suddenly Person B vomes running toward them. Oh, shit! Person A panics and scrambles to get away but it's too late: the masked menace is upon them! They've been poisoned and their cries for help echo through the halls. The crew finds the body and now everyone is on edge.. who could the killer be? Security opens an investigation. People sleep with one eye open. Everyone is a bit more cautious about wandering the halls alone. Person B laughs meniacally as they scrawl "you're next" on a paper and mail it to the botonist.

Basically, if you think Scenario A is the more fun option then server 2 is for you. LLJK1 caters to people who play with a scenario B style.
i don't know, i'd imagine people would begin to sense that something is not quite right when people begin randomly vanishing
Honestly, I feel very light RP makes things fun on LLJK2. It's probably why I actually like playing AI. It's fun to go nuts with the dumb laws you're given. Hell it's sometimes fun when you fuck up too. One of my first traitor rounds I was caught like super fast because I screwed up trying to hack the AI and got dragged to medbay and was given some silly psych eval. I was laughing my ass off and got borged but it made failure fun.
(07-19-2017, 04:03 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i don't know, i'd imagine people would begin to sense that something is not quite right when people begin randomly vanishing

You seriously overestimate the situational awareness of your average spaceman.
(07-19-2017, 06:01 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 04:03 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i don't know, i'd imagine people would begin to sense that something is not quite right when people begin randomly vanishing

You seriously overestimate the situational awareness of your average spaceman.

That, and a "sense" of something being wrong doesn't change the fact that Spaced Sally isn't a part of the story anymore. Unless the crew gets a search party together to go find her, but that never ever happens.

I dunno, I'm just against removing people from rounds for, effectively, the rest of the game. At least without some way for the player to still play a role in the story, if not as that character.

You would be surprised how long I could go down empty halls and not notice anything wrong.

I can sometimes tell people are vanishing but it's not a question if I can sense that but if I care enough to try and stop it.