Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How strict should LLJK1's RP be?
In all seriousness, Bob, you're spouting nonsense. In RP, the game world/server acts as the backdrop and general framework for RP. There's Nanostraten, we work for the captain, etc. How RP goes beyond that is dependant on the participants.
I guess I just like to view it like a survival game.
(03-21-2017, 07:06 PM)Bob Wrote: I guess I just like to view it like a survival game.

SS13 is at it's core a roleplaying game with a survival aspect, survival more so on goon, but come on, don't be that powergamer who treats ss13 as a survival game and thinks the only goal is to murder the antags, try to roleplay and just have fun, who cares if you get murdered?
Basically it's improv theater, except one of the actors is planning on murdering the rest

(03-21-2017, 03:27 PM)Bob Wrote:
(03-20-2017, 08:43 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(03-20-2017, 07:19 PM)Bob Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 10:47 PM)Bob Wrote: So... the thing is... my view of RP is that in this game it should be an afterthought.

What is the goal of Space Station 13?

to tell a story

Right. And, and my point is almost... If the player does nothing, will a story still happen? Will the game create a story even if the player doesn't press a button? If so, then it would seem odd to try to put any responsibility on the player to make that happen. ... Okay, so now having gone through all that, I now realize and/or understand that what you're afraid of is people bringing things into the game that are from outside of the game. That's why you have an Out Of Character chat option. ... Now, what if you were never in character to begin with? Then you would say,

(03-18-2017, 12:33 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Then LLJK2 is for you, my friend!

That's not what LLJK1 is for.

I see... I SEE! ... Or do I? ... I wonder about an anarchy server... What is the difference between Light, Medium, and Heavy RP?

Am I talking too much?

(03-21-2017, 06:00 PM)Superlagg Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 05:15 PM)The Worst Wrote: Imagine four RP servers on the edge of a cliff.

The first one tells you to click drag themselves to a nearby square cus they were a noob and wondered what would happen they went off the cliff. Then when it takes to long to do, they tell you not to sweat it and let go, outing to wait for the next round.

The second one asks you to help pull them up, then explains the mechanics to you over looc before telling you to put you hand out for them. When it takes a while for you to wrangle the controls, the RPer waits patiently, making jokes about being stuck on a ledge while they wait.

The third one squeals out an impassioned cry for help! Your heart skips a beat as you find a haggard crewman hanging from the edge of a cliff. He begs to you, please, pull him up! But you hesitate; could you lift a grown man? You're not sure enough to risk it, so you tell the crewman that you'll find help, don't worry, leaving the hysterical crewman, praying he has the strength maintain his grip. You return moments later with a security officer and a bundle of rope in tow. The officer calls dowm to the crewman, sir, please remain calm, help has arrived! He lowers the rope to the crewman, beads of sweat forming under his brow. The crewman, trembling and weak grabs ahold of the rope, clinging for dear life. You and the officer pull with all of their might, the crewman inching upward to safety-- but he slips! You and the officer dive to catch the crewman, but they're both powerless buy to watch as he plummets to the rocks below. A funeral is held in his honor, and his life insurance policy pays out to his family. The officer still to this day blames himself letting the crewman die, and you go on to give safety seminars to the other crewman, hoping to never let this happen to anyone else.

The fourth goes brain-dead in a locker. Someone pushes it off the cliff, but the survive cus container code is fucked.

This is the best post on the forum point final.
I thought you were going to ignore your forum account, Bob?

I'm amazed someone can write so much yet say nothing.

Are you in fact the monkey sat at a keyboard for all of eternity and we now find ourselves witness to the moment in an infinite probably at which your pounding of the keyboard has produced proper sentence structure without actual substance?

(For those who do not understand my monkey reference: read more here)
Ah, screw it. Here's more "nonsense".

(03-21-2017, 08:58 PM)fosstarreagan Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 07:06 PM)Bob Wrote: I guess I just like to view it like a survival game.

SS13 is at it's core a roleplaying game with a survival aspect, survival more so on goon, but come on, don't be that powergamer who treats ss13 as a survival game and thinks the only goal is to murder the antags, try to roleplay and just have fun, who cares if you get murdered?

I like to view it like a sandbox-survival-RPG, where each aspect is independent of the other and yet interact. It's not about power-gaming. It about you lose when you die. And there are many ways to die. I get the idea that if the player just holds a basic sense of survival up as a goal, then there's a kind of story that happens that might be unavoidable. So you can have very deep experiences with this game when you aren't preoccupied with pretending, and actually act within the game. I came to this game off of plumphelmetpunk's videos. And when you're considering survival in the game, there comes points where in the interest of that goal, you consider the very real possibility that another character you're interacting with in it could die at some point during all of this. So when you get into a serious sort of mood like that, you can get a sense for a kind of depth of a character and understanding of potential dangers. And in that way I might feel like pretending, in the minds of players, on a certain level is a detriment to survival unless the player is then forced to adapt to understand the other characters they're playing with so as to see their other considerations. And that might be at the detriment of "fun" for my player, but you guys say, "my RP"... So, that's why I say that role-play should be an afterthought. Because in the way I might like to look at it, your "role" could be any number of things. And the interest of the player is what drives it forward. And from my perspective there's no rule I can put on any of those three aspects that won't be broken by some other player in some way. From my perspective of it,... Any way,... Like let's say there's a hero. And he doesn't know what's going on around him. But he wants to increase his chances of surviving so he can have the most opportunities to continue and be in a position to be heroic, you might not like it or think it's most optimal for a hero to be like, but that's how he thinks, so he's going to hold survival as his highest goal in that situation. And in doing so, increase his chances by considering efficiency. I think that's about all I have to add. Making room for heroes. So you see, I'm not really disagreeing with you guys. The things I've said, some of them at least have been essentially the same as what you guys have said, just maybe in different words, (or not even that) and it took some time for the ideas to make themselves. So we're not really disagreeing here.

This is hard to do, man. I guess. Coming up with ideas. Randomly.

(03-24-2017, 06:54 PM)Bob Wrote: Ah, screw it. Here's more "nonsense".

(03-21-2017, 08:58 PM)fosstarreagan Wrote:

I like to view it like a sandbox-survival-RPG, where each aspect is independent of the other and yet interact. It's not about power-gaming. It about you lose when you die. And there are many ways to die. I get the idea that if the player just holds a basic sense of survival up as a goal, then there's a kind of story that happens that might be unavoidable. So you can have very deep experiences with this game when you aren't preoccupied with pretending, and actually act within the game. I came to this game off of plumphelmetpunk's videos. And when you're considering survival in the game, there comes points where in the interest of that goal, you consider the very real possibility that another character you're interacting with in it could die at some point during all of this. So when you get into a serious sort of mood like that, you can get a sense for a kind of depth of a character and understanding of potential dangers. And in that way I might feel like pretending, in the minds of players, on a certain level is a detriment to survival unless the player is then forced to adapt to understand the other characters they're playing with so as to see their other considerations. And that might be at the detriment of "fun" for my player, but you guys say, "my RP"... So, that's why I say that role-play should be an afterthought. Because in the way I might like to look at it, your "role" could be any number of things. And the interest of the player is what drives it forward. And from my perspective there's no rule I can put on any of those three aspects that won't be broken by some other player in some way. From my perspective of it,... Any way,... Like let's say there's a hero. And he doesn't know what's going on around him. But he wants to increase his chances of surviving so he can have the most opportunities to continue and be in a position to be heroic, you might not like it or think it's most optimal for a hero to be like, but that's how he thinks, so he's going to hold survival as his highest goal in that situation. And in doing so, increase his chances by considering efficiency. I think that's about all I have to add. Making room for heroes. So you see, I'm not really disagreeing with you guys. The things I've said, some of them at least have been essentially the same as what you guys have said, just maybe in different words, (or not even that) and it took some time for the ideas to make themselves. So we're not really disagreeing here.

This is hard to do, man. I guess. Coming up with ideas. Randomly.

I think I understand what you're saying (You like to prioritize survival as your goal in the round, essentially making that the role you're playing out) it's just you have a very roundabout and verbose way of phrasing all your posts, which personally I find delightful to read.
Imagine this for a second. No recurring names allowed. No ability to choose roles beforehand. Go.
The entire silicon population immediately goes 'fuck this' and suicides at roundstart.

The HOP tosses out free all-access to anyone he passes by in protest, then disappears forever.

The HOS harmbatons you to death while screaming 'I'M OAR DERHV'.

So, pretty much exactly the same.
(06-03-2017, 01:22 AM)Roomba Wrote: The HOS harmbatons them-self, then gets killed by an assistant while screaming 'I'M OAR DERHV'.

Still just as bad, honestly.
In a survival game, the roleplay may have to be useful.
So, I'm pretty damn new to goon station but I am pretty old hat at roleplaying in clunky interfaces over the internet. Here's what the spirit of LLJK1's RP rules translated to ME as:

Never talk like you're anything but an actual spacemen on IC channels. They keep OOC options available (looc at least) for when you have to discuss mechanics.

Act like the chain of command and death matter. If you have authority- make the chain of command happen! Strip access from people that you can't trust with that access. Don't let stuff slide cuz "it's just a video game" but also don't be a total anal retentive ass about it, too.

COMMUNICATE! This seems to me to be the server where you don't really need to worry about out-of-nowhere murderboning. I try to make sure that anyone I'm gonna attack has at least knows I exist, and have noticed their existence. I might not announce I am coming for them, but interactivity is more important than robustness.

And finally, yeah, keep it wacky. Don't just be Spaceman Joe who's motivation is to tunnel vision on genetics because he is a geneticist. Do I really need to start spewing out more interesting variations on that motivation? If you can't come up with one, well... maybe stick with server 2.

Not any kind of definitive word, but to answer the question in the title- THAT'S how strict I think I it should be.
That's a very solid summary. Example: my spaceman married another spaceman, with the priest being a Syndicate agent held at gunpoint who kept trying to make excuses to go check on his nuke.
(07-17-2017, 08:02 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote: COMMUNICATE! This seems to me to be the server where you don't really need to worry about out-of-nowhere murderboning. I try to make sure that anyone I'm gonna attack has at least knows I exist, and have noticed their existence. I might not announce I am coming for them, but interactivity is more important than robustness.

Why should it be?