Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How strict should LLJK1's RP be?
(03-18-2017, 09:50 PM)Bob Wrote: Not sure you understood what I meant.

Then explain it please
The way I see it is that it's basically LLJK2, but with words and hijinks replacing silent murder. It's still SS13, but you're encouraged to use your words instead of just your robustness.
Kind of like what Superlagg says. Would you like to define RP? I feel like the rules are pretty good, and take precedence over my opinions in some cases, and also feel they are up to the interpretation of the player(s) in other cases.
(03-17-2017, 10:47 PM)Bob Wrote: So... the thing is... my view of RP is that in this game it should be an afterthought.

What is the goal of Space Station 13?
(03-20-2017, 07:19 PM)Bob Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 10:47 PM)Bob Wrote: So... the thing is... my view of RP is that in this game it should be an afterthought.

to tell a story

Interacting with the other players and the stories that come to be from those interactions.
"Why are you stabbing yourself"

"I'm trying to convince the Medical Director that my wound stitching scalpels are a marketable product, and I'm not allowed to test on humans without medical trials so I'm making it a crime in progress instead, because then security will notify medbay that my product works, and tell them to stop giving me scalpels."

I actually like the idea of coming up with crazy reasons to do crazy things.

Space makes people lose sanity.
The point of the rp server is to tell a story, above all else.
You know I get what you guys are saying but that's still cheeto-level cheesy. Smuggo  

The point of playing ss13, like most games, is to find entertainment within the confines of it's rules. Games are defined by their rules; if you don't like the rules of the game, then you don't like the game. The point of ss13 itself is to draw enjoyment from it's users; likely to fulfill some odd dark-nerd ritual that summons an Old One or something.
If anything, LLJK 1 can make our wacky absurd hijinks even more absurd. Justifying zany antics with seemingly-reasonable explanations provides juxtaposition which serves to magnify and underscore the gulf between the dramatic and the ridiculous, thus producing a higher amplitude of absurdist joviality.
(03-21-2017, 08:15 AM)Superlagg Wrote: If anything, LLJK 1 can make our wacky absurd hijinks even more absurd. Justifying zany antics with seemingly-reasonable explanations provides juxtaposition which serves to magnify and underscore the gulf between the dramatic and the ridiculous, thus producing a higher amplitude of absurdist joviality.

This. Juxtaposition is a critical part of situation comedy.
(03-20-2017, 08:43 PM)zewaka Wrote:

to tell a story

Right. And, and my point is almost... If the player does nothing, will a story still happen? Will the game create a story even if the player doesn't press a button? If so, then it would seem odd to try to put any responsibility on the player to make that happen. ... Okay, so now having gone through all that, I now realize and/or understand that what you're afraid of is people bringing things into the game that are from outside of the game. That's why you have an Out Of Character chat option. ... Now, what if you were never in character to begin with? Then you would say,

(03-18-2017, 12:33 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Then LLJK2 is for you, my friend!

That's not what LLJK1 is for.

I see... I SEE! ... Or do I? ... I wonder about an anarchy server... What is the difference between Light, Medium, and Heavy RP?

Am I talking too much?
(03-21-2017, 03:27 PM)Bob Wrote: Am I talking too much?

For the amount I have understood what you meant, which is next to nothing, I would say yes.
(03-21-2017, 03:27 PM)Bob Wrote:

to tell a story

Right. And, and my point is almost... If the player does nothing, will a story still happen? Will the game create a story even if the player doesn't press a button? If so, then it would seem odd to try to put any responsibility on the player to make that happen. ... Okay, so now having gone through all that, I now realize and/or understand that what you're afraid of is people bringing things into the game that are from outside of the game. That's why you have an Out Of Character chat option. ... Now, what if you were never in character to begin with? Then you would say,

I see... I SEE! ... Or do I? ... I wonder about an anarchy server... What is the difference between Light, Medium, and Heavy RP?

Am I talking too much?

Imagine four RP servers on the edge of a cliff.
(03-21-2017, 05:15 PM)The Worst Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 03:27 PM)Bob Wrote:

to tell a story

Am I talking too much?

Imagine four RP servers on the edge of a cliff.

The first one tells you to click drag themselves to a nearby square cus they were a noob and wondered what would happen they went off the cliff. Then when it takes to long to do, they tell you not to sweat it and let go, outing to wait for the next round.

The second one asks you to help pull them up, then explains the mechanics to you over looc before telling you to put you hand out for them. When it takes a while for you to wrangle the controls, the RPer waits patiently, making jokes about being stuck on a ledge while they wait.

The third one squeals out an impassioned cry for help! Your heart skips a beat as you find a haggard crewman hanging from the edge of a cliff. He begs to you, please, pull him up! But you hesitate; could you lift a grown man? You're not sure enough to risk it, so you tell the crewman that you'll find help, don't worry, leaving the hysterical crewman, praying he has the strength maintain his grip. You return moments later with a security officer and a bundle of rope in tow. The officer calls dowm to the crewman, sir, please remain calm, help has arrived! He lowers the rope to the crewman, beads of sweat forming under his brow. The crewman, trembling and weak grabs ahold of the rope, clinging for dear life. You and the officer pull with all of their might, the crewman inching upward to safety-- but he slips! You and the officer dive to catch the crewman, but they're both powerless buy to watch as he plummets to the rocks below. A funeral is held in his honor, and his life insurance policy pays out to his family. The officer still to this day blames himself letting the crewman die, and you go on to give safety seminars to the other crewman, hoping to never let this happen to anyone else.

The fourth goes brain-dead in a locker. Someone pushes it off the cliff, but the survive cus container code is fucked.