Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How strict should LLJK1's RP be?
Simple question. How much RP should LLJK1 have? It's alive and well again, even if usually medium/low population. I've seen some players doing some really OOC shit like dragging bathtubs into the halls for no reason to dump concoctions of noodle soup into, semi-powergaming (not to extremes), etc. Sometimes it irks me, sometimes it's funny.

this is either gonna get buried deep into the forums or spark a massive discussion... Hmm...
Is OOC defined by doing something you don't have a reason to do? If a person could give a suitable reason, even if it's just "hello, I am a soup-obsessed crackhead manning a spaceship that I really should not have been posted on but there was a command SNAFU", does that mean that it's within acceptable parameters as long as the reason given doesn't really break any other rules? I've seen gibbering demented chaplains screaming about corn.
I generally assume all the crazy behavior on lljk1 is because nt drugs all their employes to keep them happy and the drugs have side effects, however i generally think lljk1 should stick around a paradise level of roleplaying, strict but not too strict, open powergaming, metagaming, and validhunting shouldn't be tolerable imo.
I don't think it was ever meant to create an RP paradise where everything falls under real world sensibilities; even less people would play that. I thought the main mission statements for LLJK1 was to 1) force the light rp that died on LLJK2 and, 2) mitigate the powergaming mindset.

I think the noodle thing would be okay simply because it's in line with goon-brand of thought. The only thing being they need to RP it.

Questioner: "Why are you doing that, sir and or madam?"
Noodlebeing: "Because fuk u thats why"

Is bad.

Questioner: "Why are you doing that, sir and or madam?"
Noodlebeing: "The starch takes YEARS off my skin. It also wards off martians."
Questioner: "...Why would it ward off martians."
Noodlebeing: "Because they thing the noodles are tentacles of their fallen comrades! HAH, and they think they're smarter than us."

Is good.

Meanwhile, at Discount Dan's Factory: "MAAARTYY! We need to increase our order of martian cadavers! Get beepsky on the line!

Then again, I don't play LLJK1, so I'm talkin' out me arse.
If you are doing something silly, you should give it a silly reason. Always like things like that
(03-16-2017, 02:08 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Questioner: "Why are you doing that, sir and or madam?"
Noodlebeing: "Because they thing the noodles are tentacles of their fallen comrades! HAH, and they think they're smarter than us."
(03-16-2017, 02:24 PM)Maegor Wrote: If you are doing something silly, you should give it a silly reason. Always like things like that
(03-16-2017, 02:08 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Questioner: "Why are you doing that, sir and or madam?"

I can't really add anything else to this conversation since this sums up my opinion pretty handily.
Yeah I got the impression that if you could come up with a convincing/entertaining reason for why you're doing a thing it was fine on LLJK1, so long as it didn't bend the laws of what i will vaguely call "reasonable". Like, "I think the noodle bath is the panacea to all of life's ills" is fine, "I am an alien in human form that requires noodle soup for sustenance" is less fine, "I THINK I'm an alien in human form that requires noodle soup for sustenance" is fine again, etc.

I mean to be honest, the situation and mechanics make great foils to anyone trying to become something ridiculously outlandish without good reason anyway. Oh, you're Space President? Why are you stuck working as a janitor on this ship? If you can come up with a convincing and entertaining reason why then fuck it, yeah, you're President Janitor of the NSS Destiny.
Weird behavior can always be chalked up to office pranks and goofs, imo.

People tend to think of the station as a military base or something when it comes to RP, but I imagine it to be more like an office in that unless you're doing something crimnal, the worst they can do is fire you for goofimg around.
And do not forget this is nanotransen we are talking about, who are known for scraping the bottom of the barrel, and station 13 in particular is their dumping grounds for employees who are too incompetent and/or insane even for their standards.
So... the thing is... my view of RP is that in this game it should be an afterthought.
Then LLJK2 is for you, my friend!

That's not what LLJK1 is for.
I believe that LLJK1's RP standards should be set at the middle of the limbo bar. Just enough shenanigans to make it fun to play, and enough RP to seperate it from LLJK2.
Wasn't there a thing written and it pops up every time the thing starts and you read it for the rules of the RP? I could have sworn mention of this very thing in this forum, but can't seem to find it.
(03-18-2017, 05:34 PM)Bob Wrote: Wasn't there a thing written and it pops up every time the thing starts and you read it for the rules of the RP? I could have sworn mention of this very thing in this forum, but can't seem to find it.

https://wiki.ss13.co/RP_Rules
(03-18-2017, 12:33 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Then LLJK2 is for you, my friend!

That's not what LLJK1 is for.

Not sure you understood what I meant.