Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atamus's Artbox
Solving Problems: one sprite at a time

Beezlebub's Rolling Crate©
Now comes with wheels attached and a lovely shade of blue!
[Image: 3fWEFdL.png]
[Image: SbBn2qZ.png]

DMI: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DgrU6...sp=sharing
CLOSED
Unlocked | Locked | Off (module removed)

[Image: U6VGdrU.png] [Image: UOyo2fy.png] [Image: GGrxXpg.png]

OPEN
Module Removed (off) | Module Unscrewed (off) | Online

[Image: XfNWPZ5.png] [Image: 0uiNK55.png] [Image: ovXGEN2.gif]

[Image: 1KedNcC.gif]

There's the sprite. "Now, what the heck is it?" you might be asking.

The idea is simple. In its current state, the AI upload is incredibly vulnerable. At the slightest mention of the AI upload being open, the entire crew rushes in hoping to get their Cheetos-stained fingers on the law modules. It's then a free-for-all to see who can upload laws the quickest with the click of a button. With this, I hope to eliminate that ease of access and add a little time to the upload process. Here's how it would work:

• The mainframe lockers (4-6) sit in the AI upload chamber bolted to the floor.
• Each mainframe holds a module inside with a law (or blank module) inside.
• A command level ID (or packet tomfoolery) is required to unlock the mainframe locker.
• Once unlocked and opened, unscrew the module from its holder.
• Pluck the module from the console with the aforementioned cheetos-stained fingers.
• Click the module in-hand to edit the current law written on the module.
• Replace the module, screw it in place, and watch as the world burns.

With this system, we could instill law precedence, as in law 1 takes precedence over laws 2-6.

PS: I am unsure of how to go about creating the dmi for this. I'd be more than happy to do so but it may take some time for me to figure it out on my own. I can upload whatever files are needed if this idea takes off and is to be implemented.
(03-15-2017, 03:56 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: With this system, we could instill law precedence, as in law 1 takes precedence over laws 2-6.

I'm still not really a fan of law order actually mattering because it prevents you from selectively overriding specific laws.

Example: 4. The AI is now the captain of this station. The borgs are his heads of staff. You are in charge now, act like it! This law overrides laws 2 and 3.
You would be able to override the actual law. Just move the boards down the line. So, 1 becomes 2, 2:3, 3:4, and so on. It would require more effort but that's the point. Now you're slightly vulnerable in the meantime and will have to think beyond just, OVERRIDE LAWS X,Y, & Z.
(03-15-2017, 03:56 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: CLOSED
Unlocked | Locked | Off (module removed)

[Image: U6VGdrU.png] [Image: UOyo2fy.png] [Image: GGrxXpg.png]

OPEN
Module Removed (off) | Module Unscrewed (off) | Online

[Image: XfNWPZ5.png] [Image: 0uiNK55.png] [Image: ovXGEN2.gif]

[Image: 1KedNcC.gif]

There's the sprite. "Now, what the heck is it?" you might be asking.

The idea is simple. In its current state, the AI upload is incredibly vulnerable. At the slightest mention of the AI upload being open, the entire crew rushes in hoping to get their Cheetos-stained fingers on the law modules. It's then a free-for-all to see who can upload laws the quickest with the click of a button. With this, I hope to eliminate that ease of access and add a little time to the upload process. Here's how it would work:

• The mainframe lockers (4-6) sit in the AI upload chamber bolted to the floor.
• Each mainframe holds a module inside with a law (or blank module) inside.
• A command level ID (or packet tomfoolery) is required to unlock the mainframe locker.
• Once unlocked and opened, unscrew the module from its holder.
• Pluck the module from the console with the aforementioned cheetos-stained fingers.
• Click the module in-hand to edit the current law written on the module.
• Replace the module, screw it in place, and watch as the world burns.

With this system, we could instill law precedence, as in law 1 takes precedence over laws 2-6.

PS: I am unsure of how to go about creating the dmi for this. I'd be more than happy to do so but it may take some time for me to figure it out on my own. I can upload whatever files are needed if this idea takes off and is to be implemented.

I like these ideas that have floated around lately of making the AI's laws actual modules you take out and put in and shift around. I get a very 'killing HAL 9000 in 2001' vibe from it. Also a little bit of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Definitely makes the AI slightly less subject to being instantly subverted when somebody breathes on a card.

Besides, if we make the AI any more powerful (which I think would be nice, some day, to give them a bit more variability), then this will be a good system to justify being able to get the AI on your side.
In the event of an ion storm, you would now have the capability of simply removing the corrupted module and inserting a fresh one in its place.
sounds like it helps slightly delay fuckers who keep their shit laws copied and ready to paste and pop in in a nanosecond so it has merit in my book
(03-15-2017, 12:10 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Solving Problems: one sprite at a time

Crates on wheels are cool, but what about one of those wheeled platform cargo mover thingies?

[Image: TRO100120.jpg]

Though, I guess you COULD just steal one of the cars off the cargo tractor train.
(03-19-2017, 11:27 AM)Grifflez Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 12:10 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Solving Problems: one sprite at a time

Crates on wheels are cool, but what about one of those wheeled platform cargo mover thingies?

[Image: TRO100120.jpg]

Though, I guess you COULD just steal one of the cars off the cargo tractor train.

I could have a go at this or a pallet jack. The cargo cart sections are actually incredibly slow to pull.
I started on a pallet jack and pallets to accompany them but I'm running into an issue... the crates are so large already that this barely leaves room within the 32x32 zone to create the jack.

Two part question for the coders.
Part 1: Is it possible to have a set stack location that is offset from the objects normal location? 

Part 2: Would it be possible to multiple stack locations as you add objects?

(I'll edit in photos to demonstrate my point later on)
(03-21-2017, 09:14 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: I started on a pallet jack and pallets to accompany them but I'm running into an issue... the crates are so large already that this barely leaves room within the 32x32 zone to create the jack.

Two part question for the coders.
Part 1: Is it possible to have a set stack location that is offset from the objects normal location? 

Part 2: Would it be possible to multiple stack locations as you add objects?

(I'll edit in photos to demonstrate my point later on)

just make it act like a forklift, where it has different sprites for how many crates are on it, but the crates on the sprite are smaller
Perhaps it could work like a Cargo cart or tractor where items on it can, with sufficient size "Leak" over the top of the normal area.
(03-21-2017, 02:42 PM)Crazyabe Wrote: Perhaps it could work like a Cargo cart or tractor where items on it can, with sufficient size "Leak" over the top of the normal area.

That was my hope.  Toots

I didn't want to create independent sprites for crates loaded onto the jack because there are a lot of different crates and lack of continuity would be my undoing. I also had the idea that other objects could be loaded onto it and stacked but it wouldn't work the more I think about it. 

This was my idea for crates stacking in set locations:
[Image: 66kbPwd.gif]
(Pallet jack is still a work in progress and there is clearly no pallet on this one)

The crates themselves would leak outside of the 32x32 boundary if they stacked in this way.
A note that you can totally have overlays programmatically that exceed the 32x32 boundary. Do any of you remember the sticker squids?
(03-22-2017, 02:49 PM)Cirrial Wrote: squids?
yes to squids