Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine hot loop addition
When you run the hot loop on O2 and plasma, CO2 builds in the pipe, and becomes a problem when it overcomes plasma in the gas mixture.
The CO2 in the gas lowers heat exchange with the cold loop, and power output. And it retains much more heat, causing pressure to increase somewhat.

If you want to keep hitting above 3MW, by 30-40 minutes into the round you can take two roads; either add more plasma, and deal with the pressure buildup by patching pipes when needed.
Or you can vent all of the hot loop gas and fill it with new gas, to return to a higher concentration of plasma.

Since the vent pipes are connected to intake portion of the hot loop, if you purge while adding more gas, whatever fresh gas you add to the engine is the first gas to be vented. You are forced to shut down the engine to vent bad gas.

Is there a way to add a pipe with a vent or a port to the outtake part of the hot loop, so that it can act as an "exhaust pipe", and be used to vent bad gas, while you add new gas.

This is not a request for a quick vent for high-pressure in the hot loop, but for a way to separate the intake and outtake part of the hot loop, so that one can gradually remove small quantities of high CO2 gas from the outtake, while adding plasma.
I can maintain 3 MW with a pure plasma setup, you need to explore more options with how you handle the hot loop.
"If you want to keep hitting above 3MW, by 30-40 minutes into the round you can take two roads..."

If you are trying to hit above 3MW, you are already way, way past the standard operating window for the engine. I've told you this a whole bunch of times already, but burning plasma and oxygen in the lines is done at your own risk and it's supposed to require a lot more babysitting and maintenance. CO2 buildup is an intentional problem and dealing with it is intentionally part of the work for running a crazy fire inside the pipes. Nobody says you have to burn plasma and oxygen together in there, it is by no means a safe or easy way to run the engine. You're pretty much abusing the hell out of the machine and pipes so you can brag about the wattage number you get. Having to shut the engine down once or twice per round to clean up after your messy dangerous setup is pretty much fine with me.

That said, I'll put a pair of aux ports under the engine for a couple days. Lemme know how they work out, I'm too tired to really test them all that much right now. I'm pretty much only doing it so I can laugh when someone screws up and causes a BLEVE rupture inside the engine core with those.
Preid Wrote:I can maintain 3 MW with a pure plasma setup, you need to explore more options with how you handle the hot loop.

Yeah, I can do better than 3 MW with just plasma. But I still like to burn fire in the pipes.

Cogwerks Wrote:That said, I'll put a pair of aux ports under the engine for a couple days. Lemme know how they work out, I'm too tired to really test them all that much right now. I'm pretty much only doing it so I can laugh when someone screws up and causes a BLEVE rupture inside the engine core with those.

That works. I'll see if I can keep it running without interruptions.