Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make mice more a nuisance
So, I just rewatched some episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In one of them the crew has some trouble with cardassian rats gnawing at the cables and circuitry of the station. So I got this idea: Mice are just ... there on Goonstation. Yes, they eat any food items nearby, annoying the chef if he or she is careless enough to let one of this buggers get into the kitchen.

What if the space mice would not only eat food, but nibble on cables and get into terminals and computers and such stuff and even breed  and multiply? Janitors would have a real task besides make the floors slippery, and mousetraps would have a purpose at last - besides of mousetrap-bombs and silly clown pranks.

Maybe we could even let ghosts play as mice additional to the ghost drone thing. I know that other servers have that ghost-mouse mechanic.

Make Space Mice more like cardassian rats, I say.  smile
space mice and roaches should split into 2 after they eat enough bites of food, and those 2 can then keep eating to split into 4, 8, etc etc
Mice need to pee, right? Occasionally have em leave behind slick pee spots

Roaches maybe spoil any food they go over, giving you food poisoning?
making them into vectors for disease will also give pathology something to cure the station of/use to infect the station with shit
walking over tiles that contain space ants should have a chance to small amounts of ants and itching powder into your bloodstream
The mice do this on one of the other servers (hippiestation, I think) and it's the simple most fucking infuriating thing when 30 seconds into the round the entire medbay loses power because a mouse just bit through a power cable and killed itself to annoy all the doctors.

Go for it.
ants, roaches, and mice should also begin to emerge from corpses as they decompose, as an abstraction of how such vermin would breed within such a feast

dead monkeys, dead critters, severed limbs and gibs should also be subject to similar effects if left on the floor long enough
Maybe the mice have hunger and stuff and will normally seek out foodstuffs and fungus to eat, but sometimes they'll take a bite out of wires. It'll take a bit, but eventually they'd break the wire. And, each time a mouse bites a wire, it has a chance to get electrocuted and die.

I like the idea of mice causing a real problem.
I think this would be funny and might give people something to do early round. If this does happen mice should spawn in random positions - as it is the bar and kitchen would have a super shitty time if this was implemented.
Would probably be fun on #1, as a good portion of the round engineers don't have too much to do and hunting down electrical faults would definitely fall under their domain. Not sure it'd matter on #2, there are enough explosions as it is that a few mice gnawing on wires would just be lost in the noise of "CLEETUS MCASSISTANT JUST PIPEBOMBED MEDBAY".
Player controlled mice, no. Would lead to too many mice finding a radio and yelling "my corpse is in medbay maint, that guys a traitor!"

Mice biting cables, sure. Some other servers have it, and it just gives an engineer or the clown anyone else with access something to do for a bit.

Also why the shit isn't this thread called 'make mice less nice'
some species of ants are attracted to electrical equipment.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-ants-like-t...appliances

perhaps space ants or space roaches could exhibit such behaviors as well
Annoying thing is that cutting the cables just prevents the APC from charging, so you won't get any hilarious sudden blackouts, just a bunch of doors and computers no longer working for no obvious reasons. Then they whine at the AI, it tells the crew to piss off, then ends up as mashed potatoes and everyone is sad.

I want some electrical explosions! And rats nesting inside lights and computers! Frickers looove to find new ways to invade and ruin anything even remotely accessible. And they're crafty fricks, they'll scurry along power lines to cross busy streets, I think they can make a lamp or a robot their living room.
Oh, can we add some kind of light avoidance to their AI? So you can flick the lights on and watch them scurry?
Make it so that Mice can cram themselves inside of unlock Cyborgs and then...
I don't know, do something funny.