Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Let's talk about murderfood and murderdrinks.
Exclamation 
Alright. So, after a semi-heated IRC discussion, it's clear that some people would like to see the floorpills exemption removed for the bartender's drinks and the chef's foods and whatelsenot.

The argument is that this sort of thing is hella lame and kills the job for those players who want to actually play legit, and in a sense also fucks over traitors because if the assumption is the food and drinks are poisoned then no one is going to want to eat food or drink anything normally anyway.

The things I've heard proposed if the floorpills exemption is removed from food and drink is that clearly dangerous food and drink would still be fine as long as it was at least made obvious that it was harmful, eg. labelled or whatever, or if someone specifically asked/demanded/requested/screamed for the most vile, lethal concoction you could provide.

What do you all think about this?
I agree. The fact that I haven't taken food or drink from the bar in years is due to the fact that if you don't assume it's all poisoned garbage, you're going to die because 9/10, it is.

The one thing I want to add here: the barman starts the round with a bunch of backroom drinks that are just pure poison and so it's not very surprising that people think that poisoning people is what you're supposed to do as a barman.
I disagree. The floorpills exemption should stay. That being said I want to see a benefit to eating - something that gets stronger with better ingrediants and as it gets more elaborate. If you eat something a good chef has worked half a round on it should have pretty epic effects.
Did this get sparked because of the sugarnuts? Those were hella stronk. Not that I minded, though.

My stance: Avoid damage to the station or large AOEs.

That's it. What's it mean? No heavy, hole-poking (like nitro icing) explosions. Avoid small (like potassium/water) explosions near windows. Don't leave a ton of exploding plasma produce in the bar. Basically, try to make sure the eater is the only one getting the fun.
I disagree. I believe floor pills to be a cornerstone of station culture

As long as the pill does not injure anyone besides the staff assistant that ate it thinking it was going to give them super powers they should be allowed

It also gives us doctors the occasional fun challenge of saving people who decided to eat drano flavored cookies and what not
Just a quick note: by "floorpills exemption" i mean "the exemption that floorpills receive". I don't think anyone is arguing against leaving harmful pills around, because we should all know eating random pills you found on the floor will never end well already.

This is just for things that would otherwise be assumed to be more or less benign if you encountered them in a real world context/are a completely new player without the years of previous context to know food and drinks are probably inedible.
Also disagree.

You ate/drank something by your own volition and should be handled appropriately IC, i.e: The barman/chef/botanist gets arrested and/or beaten up. This should not require admin intervention.

The fact nobody eats food or drinks anything is only partly down to it being possibly poisoned. The adding the extra "spice" whether it be swedium or unstable mutagen is to amuse the creator, because they are extensively bored and never ever ever get requested to make something out of the ordinary.  

Adding in Breaking News Developing... REASONS Breaking News Developing... to eat food/drink, then this whole situation of the whole civilian angle being rude will resolve itself naturally, because people will want to eat/drink and will be appopriately annoyed when their food/drink isn't up to par.

tl;dr: Civ jobs are shit because of lack of worth. When the only thing you get out of your job is poisoning your food, then you're going to poison your fucking food.
(02-27-2017, 05:58 AM)Sundance Wrote: When the only thing you get out of your job is poisoning your food, then you're going to poison your fucking food.

Maybe you'd get more out of your job if people didn't avoid you because you poisoned them.
(02-27-2017, 06:22 AM)CameronWoof Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 05:58 AM)Sundance Wrote: When the only thing you get out of your job is poisoning your food, then you're going to poison your fucking food.

Maybe you'd get more out of your job if people didn't avoid you because you poisoned them.

People avoid you anyway because of the nutritional content of your food is that of shredded chinese newspapers.

I'm not excusing those who do it, it's shit behavior, but not to the extent that it requires admin intervention. It's also an understandable behavior, as I've previously outlined.
There's more than one food/drink that kills you in it's default state. I figured that was a pretty big hint as to the nature of food.

I mean you see people eating and drinking stuff in the bar all the time. Food is mostly just a conversation piece or an open dare from the kitchen staff. As long as we're not forced to eat it, I don't see where the problem is.

Granted even I get a lil' miffed when I ask for bojacks and they give me unstable mutagen. That's just unprofessional.
Strongly disagree.

So long as the bartender isn't outright deceptive about what's in the drinks, I see no reason why experimental cocktails shouldn't be treated the same way as floor pills are.
Disagree. This sort of stuff doesn't need admin intervention, it just needs IC consequences. It's the sort of thing that sec should be dealing with when not hunting for antags - if you make a cocktail of sarin and wine and someone ends up choking to death because of it, you should be entirely unsurprised if you get hauled off to the brig. It's just that sec is often nonexistent or too overwhelmed to care, and on the off chance they act on it the crew is more likely to turn on sec for being spoilsports than they are on the murderchef.
Like any good social drinker, I always carry some form of reagent scanner with me into the bar. Not only does it warn me of any unsavory chemicals in the drink, but it also gives me the option to swipe the glass if there's anything interesting in there. The bar is and should always be a great place for ne'er-do-wells to find deadly, delicious poisons sitting in the open.
I disagree, I enjoy finding poison in my vodka shot.

I do think that the barman/chef/botanist would benefit if there were a few more positive features added to eating/drinking though.
I also disagree. Most bartenders tell you what's in their drinks if you ask anyways. Plus if you've been drinking or eating anything at the bar without expecting some harm to come to you then you are a fool. Also people other then the barman and chef can poison the food and drinks.

Hell most of the time I drink things from the bar just to see what happens to me. Cause I don't care if I die anymore and you'd be surprised how much fun can be had if you stop caring how and if you die. EDIT: As Security I have arrested barmen and chefs who's food or drinks have poisoned me in someways. That's always fun to do. When there's nothing happening in a round.

(02-27-2017, 08:39 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Like any good social drinker, I always carry some form of reagent scanner with me into the bar.

This is a really good tip by the way thanks.