Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Machine] MediVend Plus
The Problem
It is currently difficult as a chemist or medical botanist to process raw medicine into a usable form and distribute it to the crew. While the act of making medicine is fairly simple, making patches and dumping them on the floor in Medbay isn't a very elegant or useful way to use it.

The Idea
A vending machine that accepts reagents from beakers and manufactures patches and emergency auto-injectors with those reagents. 

The MediVend
This machine is built into the wall separating the chemistry lab and the Medbay lobby. Beakers can be used on it to transfer the beaker's contents into the MediVend, which can then be interacted with to vend medicine in a form sensible for the specific kind of medicine that it is. 

As an example, here's a MediVend unit filled with Charcoal, Epinephrine, Saline, Salbutamol, Silver Sulfadiazine, and Styptic Powder.

[Image: 3yZMPxF.png]

The MediVend only lists chemicals that are present in its reservoir and which meet the minimum unit requirements to make medicine out of. Selecting "info" will spit out the CheMaster's analysis text, in case you don't actually know what pentetic acid or mannitol is for.

Limitations
The MediVend only accepts chemicals for which there is a medical use. Offering it a beaker of 40u Salbutamol and 10u Hairgrownium will add the Salbutamol, destroy the Hairgrownium, and spit out a message similar to the hypospray's rejection text. Importantly, this machine can take some chemicals the hypospray doesn't, such as atropine.

The patch and auto-injector sizes are preconfigured and small. You can't make auto-injectors larger than 15u, and mini-patches make the machine usable both for small and large injuries.

The MediVend does not have a limit to the size of its internal reservoir. It is a big, big, big, big girl and can hold a lot of medicine. 

Optional Bonus Idea: Networked MediVends
MediVends are networked machines that share an internal reservoir across many units scattered throughout the station. Rather than use a beaker on them directly, they're instead filled from any CheMaster using a new "Send to MediVend Reservoir" option. This allows the medicine to be accessed from more places (the medical checkpoint and escape wing are good candidates) and also allows botanists to easily contribute from their department without having to haul a bunch of beakers down to Medbay.
if medicine manufacture is steamlined a little, ppl can reinforce their calls to cut down on the roundstart medicine supplies. helping botany be useful is good
(02-27-2017, 04:15 AM)CameronWoof Wrote: Limitations
The MediVend only accepts chemicals for which there is a medical use. Offering it a beaker of 40u Salbutamol and 10u Hairgrownium will add the Salbutamol, destroy the Hairgrownium, and spit out a message similar to the hypospray's rejection text. Importantly, this machine can take some chemicals the hypospray doesn't, such as atropine.

I would rather it accept any chemical, but output anything that lacks a defined medical use exclusively into bottles. And, in general, have the option to output any chemical into a bottle in case you're the chef and want some yummy Salbutamol icing.

I'm imagining an interface similar to the Reagent Extractor, where there's a Bottle, Patch and Injector screen and each one only allows you to vend chemicals that are medicinal in that form. So anything can be vended as a bottle, but Styptic can't be vended as an Injector and Saline can be vended as anything.
There was a way to make auto injectors for like a day and it was removed quickly. I'm not really sure why.
(02-27-2017, 10:06 AM)Arborinus Wrote: There was a way to make auto injectors for like a day and it was removed quickly. I'm not really sure why.

I can't imagine how having instant, unblockable sarin auto-injectors could be a bad idea at all.
(02-27-2017, 10:27 AM)Mordent Wrote: I can't imagine how having instant, unblockable sarin auto-injectors could be a bad idea at all.

Aren't emmaged Hypospray the same thing?
(02-27-2017, 11:08 AM)Maegor Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 10:27 AM)Mordent Wrote: I can't imagine how having instant, unblockable sarin auto-injectors could be a bad idea at all.

But they need an emag. Unlike an auto-injector.
(02-27-2017, 11:08 AM)Maegor Wrote:

Sure. That requires a telecrystal investment, though.

Don't get me wrong, I think being able to make auto-injectors would be awesome, but should probably be limited to whatever reagents are already available as auto-injectors. It's a similar list to hyposprays, but includes e.g. atropine (30 units of which can be pretty debilitating over time).

While I think custom mixes for auto-injectors would be cool, that's really into hypospray territory so I feel auto-injectors should be limited to "pure" reagents (i.e. one reagent per injector).
Hey so the OP does mention that the MediVend has a whitelist so it would not be possible to make sarin auto-injectors.
(02-27-2017, 11:35 AM)CameronWoof Wrote: Hey so the OP does mention that the MediVend has a whitelist so it would not be possible to make sarin auto-injectors.

Sure, we got off topic and that was probably a good part my doing.

I think we can streamline this process somewhat by having a way of reloading the NanoMed Plus/MediVend, whether that be manually (i.e. taking a load of styptic patches and loading them into it) or remotely (have their inventory drawn from the same pool and able to be refilled with ChemMasters - could make the telescience teleporter sound on doing it if you need in-game lore fluff).
They should be hackable to expand their whitelist to include some less "approved" meds, like meth and carpet. Emaggable to make it sometimes dispense the wrong chem, labeled as the right chem, and identifiable with a regent scanner.