Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throwing and catching
Right now we have a basketball that players will automatically catch if you throw it at them. But imagine if you could set your intent to help and throw any handheld item TO another player instead of AT them. You could throw emergency supplies to players stranded on the other side of a hole in the station. Or you could toss some nerd an electropack and shock him when he catches it.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:Right now we have a basketball that players will automatically catch if you throw it at them. But imagine if you could set your intent to help and throw any handheld item TO another player instead of AT them. You could throw emergency supplies to players stranded on the other side of a hole in the station. Or you could toss some nerd an electropack and shock him when he catches it.

Thatd be goddamned neat
If another player sets the throw intent with a free hand, then he can catch what ever is thrown to him!
Simples!
deadly game of catch with a butcher knife.
Sundance Wrote:If another player sets the throw intent with a free hand, then he can catch what ever is thrown to him!
Simples!

Yeah, it's probably better off as an intent on the catcher anyway.
Sundance Wrote:If another player sets the throw intent with a free hand, then he can catch what ever is thrown to him!
Simples!
I like it
Darth Various Wrote:
Simples!

Yeah, it's probably better off as an intent on the catcher anyway.

Hopefully there's still ways to predict when another player has their intent set to throw (i.e. if they're carrying bowling balls or barkley's basketball, maybe some less obvious stuff too) so you can go "here, catch!" with a pipe bomb. Would be nice to have more thrown items like paper planes so you could catch more people off guard.
You can already put paper on your head for a paper hat, so why not make throwing paper automatically turn it into a paper plane (which can then be unfolded if desired). You can't throw a piece of paper for any kind of distance without doing something with it anyway.
Not sure. I just thought crafting paper into a paper plane like with metal crafting would make more sense but I guess just throwing it would work too.

Would it be balanced if I could attach a glass shard to the nose?
Simples!

this would be so great
could also do targeted throwing instead of just help intent.

help intent + target head = hat!
help intent + target hand = pass to that hand

disarm intent + target hand = chance to knock things out of their hand, similar to disarm
disarm intent + target legs = chance to trip similar to normal disarm

harm intent + target limb/leg/chest/face = damage to that target
Make it so that you can catch an item if you are on help intent and the person throwing is set to help too. So if you want to throw the butcher's knife you use any non help intent.
Hey catch!
Bomb.
Yes please add this.
This would also be a great way to give an item to someone quickly without dropping it on the floor for everyone to see or using the drag-click menu.
I like the sound of being able to catch stuff assuming the thrower and catcher are both on help.

Now I have this mental image of assistants stealing stun batons from Sec and playing keep-away with them, like bullies tormenting a child by throwing a toy just above their reach.

It's...beautiful.