Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow ChemMasters to Process the Contents of Adjacent Reagent Extractors
One problem that I think Goonstation has is that turning raw materials into usable product is often more time-consuming than creating the raw materials. Botany is particularly bad at this; growing medical herbs is fairly easy, but processing the herbs and their mutations into isolated, pure substances for bottling/pilling takes quite a long time.

My idea is to allow ChemMasters to see and process the contents of the storage tanks of adjacent Reagent Extractors. Sample workflow:

1. Harvest Shivering Contusine with a Produce Satchel and dump it into the Reagent Extractor
2. Extract to Storage Tanks 1 and 2
3. Switch to the ChemMaster, isolate the Salbutamol from Storage Tank 1
4. Process the 250 units of Salbutamol into 5 50-unit bottles. 
5. Repeat for Storage Tank 2
Since we can now dump 100u of some mix into a beaker with a single button, I don't see why not.
You have to realize the antagonist implications for this as well; you can't just gloss over them in the name of medical uses.

There's a certain risk and time consumption needed for creating hundreds of units of curare, for instance, and streamlining everything isn't a step in the right direction. At least, in my opinion.
(02-23-2017, 11:45 AM)Arborinus Wrote: You have to realize the antagonist implications for this as well; you can't just gloss over them in the name of medical uses.

There's a certain risk and time consumption needed for creating hundreds of units of curare, for instance, and streamlining everything isn't a step in the right direction. At least, in my opinion.

You're not wrong, but at the same time, there are chems much more dangerous than curare that are easier to make in huge batches at Chem Dispensers already. If I was synthesizing Cyanide from scratch, I could probably make it faster than Botany could, just because of how long it takes to process. I'd be okay with letting Botanist traitors get their hands on some (pretty milquetoast tbqh) poisons faster.
I don't like to have everything streamlined, and artifact beakers aren't even rare.
I did think about antagonistic implications when I said 'I don't see why not'; the station-effect is minuscule. I mean, there's little difference between 1000u of curare and 100u of curare; it's just a horrible and lame chem that has a strong effect with 1:1 skin absorption.

It's already easy to top off fuel tanks with (just about) any botany chem you want. Delaying people for a second here or there feels a lot like stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Not that I really care either way. I just think people overreact to these kinds of things. Especially since the chem dispenser upgrade didn't cause the station to burn down in flames.

shrug
I'm in favor of the game being more convenient to actually play. Turbonerding is kind of an iffy argument as it is.
Why not those dumb machines are always next to each other anyway