Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
With an even heavier heart and tears in my eyes nerf pocket internals
(02-22-2017, 02:14 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Pretty sure etanks do have less volume. kPa is just a unit of pressure. Kinda wish we could read moles.

Anyways, I'm not really for it - and I'm generally nerf happy! At least not until we counter the fact that one asshat with a blunt object can render a large section of the station airless for most, if not all, of a round.

I think both of these points are correct and valid.
For the people who say you can use one Emergency O2 tank all round that's false I have to grab two or three to make it though a round. That's only if most of the station has no air. Maybe I'm just wasteful but I never had to grab one and use only one.
(02-22-2017, 08:55 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: For the people who say you can use one Emergency O2 tank all round that's false I have to grab two or three to make it though a round. That's only if most of the station has no air. Maybe I'm just wasteful but I never had to grab one and use only one.

If you fill the tank to 1000 at a canister it will easily last the whole round
(02-22-2017, 08:57 PM)Tarmunora Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 08:55 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: For the people who say you can use one Emergency O2 tank all round that's false I have to grab two or three to make it though a round. That's only if most of the station has no air. Maybe I'm just wasteful but I never had to grab one and use only one.

If you fill the tank to 1000 at a canister it will easily last the whole round

Well I don't do that I just grab it and use them. There are so many and they are so easy to find I never needed a reason to fill them up.
try it sometime ed, its wonderful, set it and forget it
I've always found it weird that everyone is running around breathing pure oxygen. Shouldn't that lead to health problems?
i dont like this idea 

this is one of those 'lets make the game more difficult for no reason other than to suit my taste ' ideas to me 

its already nigh impossible to replenish oxygen in an area thats been breached
Wouldn't be opposed to making it impossible to stuff them with 1000 units of O2, there are actual O2 tanks you can use for this purpose. That being said I'm still not sure if it'd make much of a difference.
I'm of two minds about this. It's true that there is no reason to sacrifice a backpack for an oxygen tank when an emergency one is every bit as good. I see that as a problem, but I think it's more an issue with how incredibly annoying the full-size tanks are. I do not want to take off my backpack for any reason whatsoever. It is way too essential for basic functions and I'd rather suffocate than lose it.

The other issue, though, is that atmos is completely fucked right now and it's 100% impossible to repressurize rooms anymore. If someone removes a tile in Medbay, you can turn on the high pressure tanks in maintenance, you can drag fifty 02 canisters into the room, but no matter what, that room is never refilling again. And rooms vacuum instantaneously or near-enough to it that it's a massive, awful pain in the ass that you have to deal with every round, no more than ten minutes in. Pocket 02 tanks are required because the alternative is that you're just never allowed to have a backpack. 

Fix atmos or give us some alternatives so that pressurizing a room is even possible, and then maybe we can revisit air tank balance. But as it stands, internals are needed way too commonly to make them annoying to use.
I don't use the oxygen tank refill stuff because I always fuck up the pressure and die because it's such a non-self-explanatory game system.
Also, yes, please unfuck repressurizing before you nerf internals.
(02-23-2017, 02:38 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I don't use the oxygen tank refill stuff because I always fuck up the pressure and die because it's such a non-self-explanatory game system.
Also, yes, please unfuck repressurizing before you nerf internals.
If I remember correctly, it's 17 for pure oxygen, and 81 for air mix.

Air mixes will get used  faster because of this.

Maybe there ought to be more bag alternatives to help with making the choice to wear a large tank? We've got fanny packs. Maybe more storage worn on the outer suit slot? Deep pockets for the trench and lab coats? Satchels and holsters? Maybe make messenger bags an actual item for that slot instead of a reward skin
tactical carry pouch vest
Breaking News Developing... LIFE SAVING POST Breaking News Developing... 

Having a hard time repressurising a room?
NegativeMan  

Worry no more!
:yosbutt:

Simply grab an air canister, set the pressure to 800kpa, open the valve, and slowly drag the canister around the room: filling it with air as you go!
masterstroke 

citizen slang bro Woo!! citizen slang bro

(I think people just open the canister and leave it in place, hoping to fill a giant area from there. The gas is funky and seems like it has a hard time spreading out quickly. By setting the pressure to 800, you're releasing air at the appropriate/normal conditions and by moving it around, you release air around the entire room thus giving the air less area to spread over once in the atmos.) Tip of the Hat
Just make the emergency tank not fit in your pocket so they can only attach to your belt. And maybe limit it to a maximum of 10-15 minutes of air. Even 600 kPa would last a whole round on 2, I've had rounds where I filled up an emergency tank with oxygen and it lasted the whole shift, only losing maybe a couple hundred kPa.

Also a sidenote: Current atmos feels a lot like performing magic rituals to appease the gods of suffocation, in that it involves a lot of waving around enchanted talismans and praying it does something without knowing how, why, or if it'll work. Might be due to the fact that we can't see air, and the only real ways to be sure are to check the atmospheric analyzer on every tile or see if you're suffocating.

Now, a pair of goggles that put a colored overlay on tiles, tinted based on the level of gas in that tile, would be fantastic. Maybe let the thermal goggles also detect the temperature of the air in the tiles as well, since the cold is the biggest issue with depressurization. Maybe maybe also something that'll make holes into space much more obvious, like the mesons, but helpful. Maybe maybe maybe also something else that'll tell you the rough volume of the room you're in so you can figure out how many dozens of cans you need.

And also, it wouldn't hurt to have a guide as to how much room a canister can repressurize. Or how much plasma a scrubber can scrub. Something like that to turn this dark art into a dubious science.
(02-23-2017, 07:34 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Just make the emergency tank not fit in your pocket so they can only attach to your belt. And maybe limit it to a maximum of 10-15 minutes of air. Even 600 kPa would last a whole round on 2, I've had rounds where I filled up an emergency tank with oxygen and it lasted the whole shift, only losing maybe a couple hundred kPa.

Also a sidenote: Current atmos feels a lot like performing magic rituals to appease the gods of suffocation, in that it involves a lot of waving around enchanted talismans and praying it does something without knowing how, why, or if it'll work. Might be due to the fact that we can't see air, and the only real ways to be sure are to check the atmospheric analyzer on every tile or see if you're suffocating.

Now, a pair of goggles that put a colored overlay on tiles, tinted based on the level of gas in that tile, would be fantastic. Maybe let the thermal goggles also detect the temperature of the air in the tiles as well, since the cold is the biggest issue with depressurization. Maybe maybe also something that'll make holes into space much more obvious, like the mesons, but helpful. Maybe maybe maybe also something else that'll tell you the rough volume of the room you're in so you can figure out how many dozens of cans you need.

And also, it wouldn't hurt to have a guide as to how much room a canister can repressurize. Or how much plasma a scrubber can scrub. Something like that to turn this dark art into a dubious science.

This is extremely quality.