Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add a hard mat. requirement to Industrial Space Armor
As it stands, with the present revision of the materials system, Industrial Space Armor is able to be fabricated from round start at any of the several (Mining, Mining station, QM, maintenance, etc.) mining fabricators.  Half the crew ends up wearing it at all times and thus looking identical.  It has significantly altered the metagame by making it no longer suspicious to be wearing full-face-and-body armor, as a large cross section of the crew who goes off-station, to maint, or boogies under the QM flaps is wearing the same full-face helmet regardless of job.  It is essentially the universal disguise.

This could be solved by adding a temporary hard requirement of bohrum or uqill (like the cerenkite for cerenkite power cells) until the materials system once again functions in such a way that the issue can be handled with a more generic solution.
Not to mention it's robust as fuck.
Yes to this. I feel like this is an oversight, or just plainly the open ended material system clashing with the age old fabricators.

I've come to accept that this as a whole will probably be never fixed.

But on topic, anything that isnt bohrum or uqill has no right to be considered a super dense metal.
Yeah I have found that its robustness isn't so much the problem directly, but it drives the current metagame regarding rushing it at roundstart almost universally, which creates the disguise and "suspicious clothing" crisis. It's OP but the knock-on effects are worse.
Noah Buttes did a patch for this a while ago, actually. Then the materials system was reworked (again) so it broke the uqill requirement.

I took a look at the problem a while ago but must have forgotten to pursue it. I'll re-add this to my list.
I feel like Bohrum might actually be more appropriate because you can find Uqill a lot of times without mining but I've never seen a crate or QM order of Bohrum - this would be a nice reward for miners.

Maybe add the yellow rad suits to the QM order list.
Actually looks like the recipe as defined is supposed to require both bohrum and uqill. I'll see if I can debug why it works with anything.
I typically wear the armor with a hard hat and not the helmet, part because it makes me look less like I'm up to no good, and part because the hard hat looks more engineer-y and is almost just as good as the helmet in terms of stats.

And I don't blame the crew for looting these suits, they are hecka robust! Even ignoring the fact that it'll let you survive (some of) a point-blank macrobomb, it protects you from the coldness of space with little if any slowdown! Re-adding a requirement for miners do *earn* their dumb space armor (that they dont even need because they just use pods to mine) would be a great thing to balance this suit a bit.
If I remember correctly, industrial space armor was still bugged even after my patch, and we couldn't figure out why.

Of course, that was many months ago so my memory may be inaccurate.
The weirdest thing to me is that an unpowered heavysuit can zip around faster than any other spacesuit. I always figured the boots existed to counter the suit's non-existent slowdown. Ah well.

At least adding super-mat requirements will require them to spend a thousand or so credits on a trader first.
Winter coats offer full space protection with no slowdown and are available to all heads, engineering roles, security, and science, along with being dirt cheap from QM in bulk.
(02-22-2017, 10:31 AM)rulib Wrote: Winter coats offer full space protection with no slowdown and are available to all heads, engineering roles, security, and science, along with being dirt cheap from QM in bulk.
Winter coats don't protect you from a canbomb explosion.

I also think it's an oversight that they're space-worthy, but that's another topic.
That's a whole different topic rulib, as per the stacking of cold resistance, etc, and not the actual winter coats themselves. But I agree that 100% cold resistance on non spaceworthy clothing is a bit silly. Not that I disagree with wintercoats, nor do I disagree that we should get some buffs against the cold, but the values should probably be tweaked so its 90% cold damage reduction (with winter coat + hat + mask + shoes), that way you can zip through breaches, but would avoid spacewalking in general.
This was much more far reaching than that. Turns out material properties were never in consideration when making things.
Remember to type check your variables, kids!

Fuck off. Instant industrial armour. Fuck off.